Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Maxi Adult Dry Dog Food
Famed for its high-quality ingredients and breed specific formulas, Royal Canin is one of the most popular pet foods on the market.
Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition Maxi Adult Dry Dog Food has been carefully formulated to offer precise nutrition for large breeds weighing 56100 lbs.
If youre looking to cater to the specific needs of your big old Bully, this carefully balanced recipe may be just what you need.
- Nourishes skin and coat with EPA And DHA Fatty Acids
- Specifically formulated to provide complete nutrition to large dogs from 15 to 5 years old, weighing 56-100lbs
- Supports healthy aging with an exclusive blend of immune supporting, heart protecting antioxidants
- Provides a specialized blend of minerals and vitamins to support bone and joint health
- Contains a highly digestible blend of fiber to support digestion and gut health
- Highly palatable kibble made in a larger size to prevent bloat and make for easy chewing
- Contains the optimal amount of protein to maintain lean muscle mass while preventing weight gain
- Supports oral health and reduced tartar formation with Calcium chelators
- Expertly crafted to meet the calorie needs of large breeds
- Rich in gut friendly prebiotics to promote optimal digestive health
- Comes with Royal Canins 100% satisfaction guarantee.
- The recipes high percentage of grain could be a problem for dogs with food allergies, or those who struggle to digest gluten
- Royal Canin is relatively expensive compared to other leading brands
Creating A Consistent Feeding Schedule
It is important to create a consistent feeding schedule for your Pitbull puppyand maintain one throughout the entirety of his life. This is the best way to maintain a healthy weight and keep his digestive system on track.
You can easily monitor how much your dog is eating if you know how much he should be eating and how often he is eating. You can adjust his food as needed if his weight is looking off or if his energy level has been decreasing. He will also not be demanding food as often if he knows when to expect meals.
High Calorie And Protein Diet
When buying your American Bullys dog food, look for a dog food that is high in calories and protein to support your dogs activity levels. Bully dogs are naturally energetic, so not enough calories will cause them to lose too much weight. Try to find food that is calorie-rich per cup so you wont spend hundreds of dollars every month on food.
Also Check: What Dog Food Is Comparable To Nutro
What Nutrients Does A Pitbull Puppy Need
Protein is an essential nutrient for pitbulls. When buying dog food, make sure that the food is made up of at least 22% protein. The amount of protein needed does go down when they reach adulthood, but it is still important to their diet.
You should avoid a high-grain diet for your puppy, because it can cause obesity in some dogs. Even though pitbulls are not as tall as other breeds, they would do best with large breed puppy food that is packed with the nutrients they need.
The Correct Amount Of Calories
When your American Bully consumes the correct amount of calories for its size and activity level, this can help them achieve optimal health.
American Bullies typically weigh between 60 pounds and 120 pounds .
If your American bully is average weight and gets moderate daily exercise, the daily recommended caloric intake is about 1900 calories.
Very active and large American Bullies can safely consume 2700 calories, while a dog who doesnt get enough exercise should eat no more than 1400 calories each day.
Figuring out the right amount of calories for your American bully takes a bit of tweaking and is worth getting right.
Orijen Dry Puppy Food
Best For American Bully Puppies: Supports growth and development of puppies
- Biologically appropriate ingredients for a growing puppy
- Contains DHA and EPA amino acids
- Great levels of glucosamine to help your heavy puppys joints stay tough
- Grain free and packed with superfoods
- Somewhat pricey in comparison to other puppy specific foods
Orijen Grain Free Dry Puppy Food is loaded with first-class protein ingredients, whole fruits and vegetables, and vitamins and minerals that makes it a well-rounded food for growing puppies.
This grain free dog food is formulated to fit the WholePrey biologically appropriate ratios of ingredients, to mirror a wild puppys diet. It contains 85% meat ingredients and 15% fresh veggies and fruit.
The protein in this food comes from 5 different sources, including muscle meat, organ meat, bone, and cartilage. Its got DHA and EPA which are crucial amino acids for a developing puppy. They assist in the development of eye and brain tissue, which means your dog will grow up with sharp physical and mental senses. Glucosamine and chondroitin are excellent supplements to start feeding your little one as early as possible to make sure their bones and joints are well-supported from the start.
Taste Of The Wild Grain Free High Protein Dry Dog Food
If your pet struggle with food allergies , this formula from Taste of the Wild may be the ideal solution.
Jam packed with protein and boasting excellent levels of antioxidants, Taste of The Wild Grain Free Premium High Protein Dry Dog Food is 100% grain, corn, wheat and additive free.
- Contains proprietary K9 Strain probiotics to support healthy digestion. These are added after the kibble is cooked to ensure live, active cultures.
- Packed with protein from easily digestible, premium meats to build healthy muscle mass and maintain an active lifestyle.
- Delivers long lasting energy from complex carbs sources such as sweet potatoes and legumes.
- Made with chelated minerals to help nutrient absorption.
- Formulated with marine-sourced omega-3 for a healthy coat and skin.
- Healthy source of antioxidants for improved immunity and general well being.
- Rich in taurine for a healthy heart.
- Perfectly balanced, complete nutrition.
- 100% grain free for dogs with gluten sensitives.
- Free from corn, wheat, filler, colors and preservatives.
- Made in the USA to AAFCO guidelines.
- Produced in facilities that employ scientifically advanced food safety protocols.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Regal Dog Food
Does Your American Bully Need Supplements And Vitamins
Vitamins and supplements are used to support specific bodily functions in the human body. The same goes for American Bully dogs though there are some instances that your dog may or may not need those vitamins and supplements.
If a dog does need to take supplements is due to the following cases:
- A case of vitamin/mineral deficiency or disease that requires supplementation in your American Bully dog. Your dog needs specific minerals and vitamins to face this defect.
- You serve your home-prepared dog meals. Home-prepared dog meals are good for your pet, but these meals tend to be nutritionally imbalanced. Mineral and vitamin supplement is the best way to equalize the home-prepared meals nutrition imbalance.
- If your American Bully dog is eating little food or eats meals that are deficient in nutrition, a multivitamin can do wonders for your dog.
If your American Bully is eating a nutritionally complete and well-balanced dog food taking mineral and vitamin supplements are unnecessary. Forcing your dog to take mineral and vitamin supplement when it is not necessary can do more harm than good to your pet.
The role of supplements is to provide your dog with what it lacks in its body and to take those supplements when everything is in the balance will cause to upset the balance in your dog.
Pros And Cons Of Lamb Meal For Bully Dog
- Lambs meal can be a great source of protein and amino acids.
- It is also an excellent source of omega-three fatty acids, which have numerous health benefits for your dog.
- A lamb meal can be expensive.
- Some Bully owners have reported that their dogs have had allergies after eating this food.
Estimated cost for adult bully: A lamb meal-based dry food should cost between $30 and $50 per bag.
Estimated cost for a bully pup: A lamb meal-based dry food should cost between $50 and $70 per bag.
Dog foods in the meat meal category are subjective and can be modified depending on your Bully needs. Pet owners should consider the bully breed, health issues, immune system, muscle meat requirement, animal protein allergens, food allergies, raw diet guidelines, and the number of dog foods serve.
The best dog food for American Bully may change depending on various factors and situations. Dog food for American Bully also varies based on whether its puppy food for bully pups, for an adult American Bully or senior dogs.
Pet owners can cater to best bully dog food with the help of expert breeders or vets.
Read Also: What Dog Food Is Good For Kidneys
Diamond Naturals All Life Stages Formula Dog Food
Diamond Naturals All Life Stages is one of 13 recipes included in our review of Diamond Naturals dog food.
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat
- Type: Grain-inclusive
- Profile: All life stages
- Best For:Adult pitbulls and all puppies
Diamond Naturals All Life Stages derives most of its animal protein from chicken and chicken meal. Label analysis reveals the recipe contains 29% protein, 18% fat and 45% estimated carbs with a fat-to-protein ratio of 62%.
|Why We Like This Brand|
|Contains kale, oranges and other antioxidants for healthy arteries|
|Affordable, budget-friendly recipe for exceptional value|
|Nutritionally complete grain-inclusive recipe|
Merrick Classic Grains Puppy Recipe
- Includes healthy whole grain.
Despite listing grains in the ingredients list, this recipe has the lowest fiber content. This can be important for some puppies who struggle on too much fiber. It still supports optimal digestion. Dried egg products and Salmon meal provide omega fatty acids. Carrots, apples and added vitamins and minerals support his immunity.
Deboned Chicken and Chicken meal are the first two ingredients on this list. This kibble provides the largest amount of glucosamine which is important for the American Bully and his heavily laden joints.
We love that this recipe is grain inclusive. This is important for American Bullies whose digestive system functions much better with gentle grains.
Recommended Reading: Is Canidae Dog Food Aafco Approved
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe With Red Meat Senior Grain
Not many pet owners are likely to find suitable senior dog food for their old furry babies. People often neglect that nutrition can be age-specific too.
If youre having a senior pal at your home, you may go for Blue Buffalo Wilderness Senior Grain-Free Dry Food. This kibble is best suited to medium-sized breeds like American Bullies.
- The meal is chicken-free, making it beneficial for those having allergies to chicken meat.
- The primary ingredients are Deboned Beef, Fish Meal, and Peas. The company claims to use real meat and veggies in its products.
- The formula contains Taurine for around a minimum of 0.10% and L-Carnitine for around 100mg/kg.
- There are several other added nutrients in the meal like Vitamin E , Vitamin C , Calcium , Phosphorus , Omega Fatty acids, EPA, and DHA.
- The brand uses fillers like peas and peas protein in the recipe.
- The recipe contains Tapioca Starch which can be a possible allergen for a few bullies.
- The meal lacks an optimum proportion of prebiotics.
Why do we recommend it?
Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe is specially formulated for senior dogs. The recipe contains an impressive amount of additional minerals and nutrients. Hence, this kibble can be recommended as a well-balanced diet for aged American Bullies.
Also read: Best dog food for Basset Hounds
Victor Select Dry Dog Food
Best Lower Protein: Low protein formula with added dose of probiotics
- Slightly lower in protein for dogs who need it
- Contains healthy grains
- No joint supplements
Victor Select Dry Dog Food is highly recommended for dogs who need a slightly lower protein meal. It has 24% Protein content from good, healthy sources. And with the 12% fat content, this kibble is suited for dogs who are moderately active.
And because this dog food uses meat meal instead of real meat, you can pack in more protein in less amount of food.
Great for dogs with digestive issues
The carb content comes from good, high quality grains sorghum and brown rice. Theyre a good fiber source and your Bullys stomach should deal quite well with those.
Youll also find L-carnitine, which is a really nice supplement that aids in digestion and energy regulation. Theres also an extra dose of vitamins E and B, as well as probiotics and prebiotics.
Recommended Reading: Royal Canin Puppy Food Wet
Orijen Large Puppy Formula
Nothing changes here for Orijen in their puppy food line. Still supporting a hereditary, biologically appropriate diet of 85 percent natural protein, 15 percent fruits and vegetables with zero grains, this is an excellent choice for your XL Bully.
A critical factor to watch for and prevent with large-breed puppies is growing too fast, which can lead to a higher than average risk for developmental orthopedic diseases.
To avoid this, a quality large breed puppy food is slightly lower in fat and contains a little less calcium and phosphorus, while maintaining a carefully balanced calcium to phosphorus ratio to help these puppies grow at a healthier rate.
Orijens Large Puppy Formula does just that, with 2 percent less protein and 2 percent less fat than their adult line, as well as having that important calcium to phosphorus ratio.
- Menhaden Fish Meal
Calorie content: 384 kCal/cup
This is a great choice from Victor if your Bully is a finicky eater or has food sensitivities. Victor is also a good choice if you like to purchase USA made products.
Best Dog Food For The American Bully
To keep the lights on, we receive affiliate commissions via some of our links. Our review process.
With their big, muscular bodies and intimidating gaze, the American Bully may look like a bully to some. However, youll find that this dog is one with a tender heart and plenty of love and affection to give.
While its commonly thought that the American Bully is a pure Pitbull , this is a misconception. But, it does have Pitbull relatives, particularly from the American Pitbull Terrier lineage.
If you are the proud pet parent of an American Bully, you know that their nutrition is of utmost importance. It can be challenging to figure out what food to get your pet, given the number of options on the market. This is why we created this guide that outlines everything you need to know about feeding your American Bully.
We highlight the different things you need to know about your American Bullys dietary needs and how these change as they go through each life stage . Since American Bullies are so fond of eating, you may find yourself with an overweight pup at some point. We have recommendations for that as well. We aim to equip you with the knowledge you need to make an informed choice about your dogs nutrition.
Also Check: Puppy Food For Sensitive Stomach
Best Premium Brand Food: Ziwi Peak Limited Ingredient Dry Dog Foods Recipe
If you believe that less is more in dog nutrition, Ziwi should be a top consideration for you.
The brand has taken the complexity out of canine nutrition and created simple dog food using only recognizable ingredients.
Even though the brand has a minimalist attitude toward dog food composition, it is still considered a premium brand due to the high-quality ingredients.
Ziwi Limited Ingredient dog food contains at least 92% real meat, with the remaining ingredients being wholesome superfoods, such as kelp and parsley.
A limited ingredient formula is an excellent option if your American Bully suffers from allergies and youre trying to eliminate allergens in food.
Can You Free Feed An American Bully Puppy
Free feeding is not good for American Bully puppies because a feeding schedule works better. Stick to a feeding routine to help your puppy stay healthy and prevent overweight.
A feeding schedule for your American Bully puppy helps with their house training and managing their weight, unlike free feeding.
Free feeding is easy and convenient, but your dog can gain unnecessary weight because they have constant access to food. Therefore, find a feeding guide that works well for you and your puppy.
Also Check: Best Puppy Food For Yorkies
How Much Should An American Bully Puppy Eat
When your American Bully is in the puppy stage, they need a lot of attention as this phase defines the type of adult they will be in the future.
When your puppy is four weeks old, they are ready to transition from their mothers milk to solid food.
When they are between the ages of 8 and 12 weeks and stable enough, you need to feed them four times per day.Their food should be rich in minerals and vitamins and contain at least 30% protein to enable your puppy to bulk up.
They need at least 20% fat in their dietbecause their body is still learning to break down nutrients.
Between 12 weeks and 6 months, you can reduce mealtimes to three in a day and you can adjust the timings depending on your daily schedule.
Best For Allergies: Acana Singles + Wholesome Grains Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food
It’s common for pit bulls to be susceptible to skin disease, including allergies.”If you suspect your pit bull may be allergic to any ingredient, it’s important to undergo allergy testing to pinpoint the culprit and ensure it is removed from their diet,” says Dr. Richardson.
An elimination diet can be a helpful tool to identify a food allergy. However, this must be performed with veterinary guidance and requires a prescription diet or balanced home-cooked diet to accurately rule in or rule out a food allergy. Commercial single-ingredient diets can help with less severe food sensitivities. However, if the diet is produced in the same facility or with the same equipment as other pet foods, they cannot be considered completely free of allergens. A commercial single protein diet may be a good place to start if your dog’s symptoms are not serious and you are not sure that is the culprit.
This diet’s protein comes from a single source, lamb, and it contains no legumes, potatoes, or gluten. In their place, you’ll find wholesome grains, including oats and whole sorghum, and butternut squash and pumpkin, all of which are high in fiber, nutritious, and support gut health. Plus, it’s made with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
After you complete a questionnaire about your pooch and sign up for a subscription, the meals are delivered to you frozen in individually sized bags.
Don’t Miss: Is Raw Food Better For Dogs