Should I Worry About Dcm And Taurine Deficiency
New research has recently come out alerting owners to the startling increase in dogs with dilated cardiomyopathy .
There is a lot of confusion and misunderstanding around this increase in DCM. Some veterinarians believe that BEG diets are causing the issue . Some suspect that the ingredients being used to replace grains in grain-free diets are problematic.
The truth is that no one knows for sure what is causing the increase in DCM cases.;
Researchers have yet to discover what is at the root cause, and while different people have various theories, there is no definitive answer.
Things To Avoid In Dog Food
There are also ingredients and processes included in the manufacturing of dog foods that should be avoided at all costs; none of these things can be found in vet recommended dog food. These include:
- These should always be avoided in dog foods, especially when it comes to meat by-products. They usually arent stored as carefully as high-quality ingredients .
- A too generic fat source. Just like in the case of the source of protein, the source of fat should be more specific. You should avoid products that include animal fat and look for chicken fat, duck fat, and so on. Animal fat may mean everything, even used restaurant grease or fat derived from roadkill.
- Sweeteners. There are real sweet teeth among dogs as well, and eating too much sweet food may persuade them to eat mainly grain fragments that arent too healthy.
- Artificial colors, preservatives, flavors. You probably try to avoid them in your own food as well. Natural preservatives may not preserve food as long as artificial ones, but they are much healthier for your dog.
Notes References & Updates
Please review the below when analyzing this article further.
- Descriptions and analysis expressed on this site are strictly the views and opinions of the author.
- Dognutrition.com do not test any dog food products.
- The accuracy of the information herein is dependent heavily on and correlated with the integrity of information provided by the dog food company in question.
- We strive to get all the info correct, but we do not and cannot guarantee its completeness or accuracy. Additionally, we do not have the resources to ensure the material is kept up-to-date on a daily basis.
- Each analysis is offered in good faith and is intended to help you make a more informed buying decision when it comes to purchasing dog food.
- Due to the unique biological identity of each dog, none of our analysis are meant to suggest or guarantee that feeding a particular dog food will result in any specific response in their diet or offer any specific health benefits.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Costco Dog Food
Whats Special About Canidae
Canidae provides pet owners with a lot of healthy choices, which we like the most about this brand. There are ample options for pups and grown dogs with different dietary needs, and these fall into several different categories.
- CANIDAE Under The Sun Grain-Free includes farm-grown veggies and single-meat proteins that make it perfect for intolerant dogs. These limited ingredient formulas are all made without any potato and come at a nice, affordable price compared to some other hypoallergenic formulas on the market.
- CANIDAE Grain-Free Pure is also for dogs who need to restrict the number of meat ingredients theyre exposed to. The top thing in these 7-10 ingredient blends is always fresh fish or meat , and this makes a tasty wholesome meal along with whole veggies.
- CANIDAE Pure Ancestral is about high-protein, evolutionary formulas that use several meat ingredients for variety. Because they offer slightly higher protein , owners of particularly active or muscly breeds might consider these Boxers, Pit Bulls, Dobermans, and Rotties, for example.
- CANIDAE All Life Stages is crafted so that all different ages and sizes of puppies can enjoy it. That means less transitioning if youve got growing pups, and it means you can feed dogs of more than one breed from the same bag. Convenient!
Within these main brand categories, its also easy to find size-specific options, as well as products that cater to dogs that require higher protein or weight management recipes. Nice, right?
Main Types Of Dog Food
Dog food can come in many different forms: dry kibble, wet canned food, de-hydrated, raw meat, and homemade. Whatever method you choose, ensure that is it well balanced between protein, fat, and carbohydrate content.
Dry Dog Food
Dry food, often referred to as kibble, proves to be a very cost-effective, low-maintenance choice for many dog owners. Dry dog food can provide many benefits to both owners and pets it can be left out for a period of time without spoiling if you are an owner who leaves a bowl of food for your pet to ensure at their leisure. It also holds its shelf-life relatively well when placed in an airtight container or bag. Dry dog food has also proven to have some dental benefits for dogs who are prone to plaque buildup as to the crunchy nature of the food can assist in keeping teeth healthy.
Wet Dog Food
Wet dog food, often referred to as canned, is also an option for dog owners. Wet food is a great option for dogs who may have dental issues . Wet food once opened must be eaten immediately or refrigerated and used within a day or two. Depending on the size of your dog, wet food can become more costly than its dry food comparison by the same manufacturer. Wet food also provides additional water content that dry dog food does not have should you have a dog that does not drink enough water to stay completely hydrated.
De-Hydrated Dog Food
Homemade Dog Food
Fresh Dog Food Delivery
Read Also: Do I Need To Change My Dogs Food
What Others Are Saying
When choosing the perfect dog food for your dog, we want you to make a decision based on as much information as possible.
Before you decide, take a look at what other independent reviewers and consumers have to say about Canidae dry dog food formulas.
- Dog Food Advisor Most of the Grain Free Pure dog foods received 4 or 5 stars on Dog Food Advisor. The Life Stages formula received between 3 and 4 stars.
- Dog Food Insider Dog Food Insider has detailed ratings about many of the Canidae formulas. They give most of the formulas either 3 or 4 paws . You can read all of their Canidae ratings here.
- Chewy; Customer ratings are just as, or maybe even more important than those from authority websites. You can read the reviews of previous and current users of the product on Chewy by clicking here.
Royal Canin Dog Food Examined
Ahead we take a look at this giant of a manufacturer and supplier of dog food worldwide. Discovering whether their food has had any safety issues, where Royal Canin food is actually formulated and made, where you can buy some, which ones are the best, related recalls, and lastly discounts and/or coupons.
Recommended Reading: Can I Feed My Dog Human Food
Is Farmina Aafco Approved
According to Farmina, all of the foods in this product line are AAFCOapproved for all life stages. Again, Farmina points out that this food is formulated with the dog as a carnivore in mind. It has a high level of fresh protein, limited carbs, and low fiber. It has no peas, lentils, or pea protein.
Then, What dog food do vets recommend?
The Top Ten of Vet Recommended Dog Food Brands
- Hills Science Diet.
- Wellness Natural Food for Dogs.
- Castor & Pollux.
- Nutro Ultra.
Considering this, Is Stella and Chewy approved by Aafco? We do know that our food has been safely fed for 16 years, and Stella & Chewys meets all nutritional and regulatory standards for pet food . Additionally, our products and other grain-free diets have been fed for decades with no known causative issue.
24 Related Questions and Answers Found ?
Best Dog Food Brands For Large Dogs
Large dogs often have many health issues associated with their size. Back problems, heart issues, and joint pain are just a few health hurdles large dogs are faced with.;
Feeding your pup food that is appropriate for its size and breed is vital to making sure your dog is in tip-top health. Some dog food brands add vitamins and minerals to dog food for large dogs to strengthen their bones. We like Merrick Backcountry Raw Infused Large Breed Adult and Horizon Complete Large Breed Adult dog food for large breeds.
Read Also: What Is The Highest Quality Dog Food
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Low Fat Canned Dog Food
Royal Canin Gastrointestinal
Whatever the breed size, if your dog has problems with digesting fat, this dog food provided by Royal Canins special veterinary diets line will be the answer to your worries. The ideal blend of antioxidants will help your friends immune system, while the combination of the right proteins and probiotics will maintain the balance of bacteria in his gut. Other necessary nutrients will also help him stay in shape and good mood. Its a veterinary diet item, which confirms its effectiveness, but also requires a veterinarians authorization for you to buy it.
What Nutrients Do Dogs Need
Just like humans, dogs need a variety of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to develop properly and stay happy and healthy at all times. What are some of the essential nutrients that your dog absolutely needs?
Vitamins and Minerals that are important for dogs
- Vitamins. In order to develop properly, dogs need the same vitamins that people do: vitamin A to control their weight and keep their eyes and skin healthy, vitamin B to help their cells grow and develop, vitamin C to support their immune system, vitamin D to strengthen teeth and bones, vitamin E for its antioxidants, and vitamin K, as blood-clotting keeps bones strong.
- Minerals. Calcium and phosphorus help your dogs blood coagulation, muscle growth, and nervous system, but too much of them may lead to problems with bone density and strength. Magnesium is needed to absorb calcium, plus, it supports muscle and bone development. Dogs also need potassium, sodium, and chloride to keep their body cells, hearts, nervous system, and muscles working and healthy. Apart from that, chloride supports the production of stomach acids, sulfur influences the looks of dogs skin, coat, and nails, and iron and zinc support the immune system. Iron also helps to oxygenate the red blood cells. Iodine is important for metabolism, and copper supports bone growth and supports the use of iron.
Other essential nutrients
Also Check: When Can I Give My Dog Adult Food
What Are Aafco Standards
The organization defines and establishes regulations for pet food and feed ingredients, as well as sets standards for nutritional adequacy. Anything less than 18 percent could actually make a dog sick, and AAFCO ensures that this minimum standard is met in foods that have been given its stamp of approval.
What It Doesnt Do
The AAFCO doesn’t enforce laws or standards. It cannot shut down a tainted facility or slap a fine on a manufacturer for using substandard ingredients or selling food to your pup that doesn’t contain what’s listed on the label. Enforcement is up to the FDA and federal, state and local feed control agencies. However, those enforcement agencies are AAFCO members. Most states follow the AAFCO model, but each has its own way of ensuring manufacturer compliance and dealing with violations.
Also Check: How Much Food To Feed Your Dog
What Kind Of Dog Food Do They Offer
Canidae offers a wide selection of products including dry foods, wet foods, and treats. When it comes to their offerings, Canidae divides their products into two main product lines All Life Stages and Grain Free Pure.
Both lines feature premium-quality proteins like lamb, chicken, bison, and duck as well as digestible carbohydrates like sweet potatoes, brown rice, and more. Canidae offers dry food and wet food options for puppies, adult dogs, and senior dogs as well as small- and large-breed formulas and recipes for weight management.
No matter what your dogs unique nutritional needs may be, Canidae has a product that will suit him perfectly.
Canidae Dry Dog Food Real Turkey & Brown Rice Recipe For Puppies Review
This product is manufactured by Canidae Pet Food.
According to our data, this Canidae recipe provides complete & balanced nutrition for growing puppies. In other words, this formula is AAFCO approved.
Canidae Dry Dog Food Real Turkey & Brown Rice Recipe For Puppies is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles for growing puppies.
Also Check: How Good Is Iams Dog Food
Can My Puppy Eat Sweet Potato If Hes Allergic To Potato
If youve got a puppy who doesnt react well to dog food with potato ingredients, youll probably be happy to know that sweet potato is scientifically in a totally different vegetable family. In that sense, they are not likely to exhibit the same symptoms if they eat a puppy food that contains sweet potatoes unless they also happen to be allergic to them too!
It is actually more likely that your pup would respond adversely to ingredients like tomato, peppers, and aubergine, as these are in the same Solanaceae family as white potatoes. Do your pup a favor and check with his vet before you make any significant dietary changes, however, as its always best to err on the side of caution with our best buddies.
When Should I Switch My Dog To Senior Dog Foods
Theres no one true answer to this question, as it depends on your dogs overall health condition, breed, and size; for some dogs, its 7-years-old, while others become biologically old at the age of 15. Its best to stay in contact with your veterinarian and to do regular checkups; do not switch diets if it has not been recommended. Then, you can rest assured that your vet will tell you when theres time for you to feed your dog like a senior. There are also many different foods for older dogs, so its essential to provide your furry friend with the right nutrition plan.
Don’t Miss: What Did Dogs Eat Before Dog Food
How Expensive Is Their Food
Because Canidae is such a high-quality brand, you should be prepared to pay more for Canidae dog food than you would for an average brand. Prices between the two product lines vary with 24-pound bags of Canidae Grain-Free PURE dry ranging from about $55 to $85, depending on the recipe.
For a 30-pound bag of All Life Stages dry food you will pay $45 to $75. You can purchase 13-ounce cans of Canidae wet dog food in cases of 12 for $20 to $50, depending on the product line, which gives you an average price of around $3.00 per can. For an 11- to 14-ounce bag of dog treats you will pay $6 to $9.
Which Dog Food Is The Best
The top ten finest puppy meals for January 2020, according to The Dog Food Advisor.
- Wellness Puppy Food is a complete health food for puppies.
- Life Protection Puppy by Blue Buffalo is a kind of buffalo.
- Puppy food from Nutro Wholesome Essentials.
- Purpose Nutra Pro Dog & Puppy by Victor.
- Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy is a smart puppy from Iams.
- Puppy food from Hills Science Diet.
- Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Plate is a grain-free puppy plate.
Also Check: Where To Buy Pedigree Dog Food
Where Does Canidae Get Their Ingredients
The Canidae brand makes it very clear that they are an independently owned and operated business they even own their own manufacturing and research facilities. Though Canidae is headquartered in California, they source many of their ingredients from Americas Heartland. Canidae takes special pride in working with other small businesses family-owned businesses for their ingredients.
They work with independent ranchers, farmers, distributors and retailers to ensure that their products are made with the best ingredients and held to the highest standards for quality and safety. Most of Canidaes ingredients are sourced from the United States, though there are some exceptions.
For example, they use New Zealand lamb and duck meal from France. They do not source any ingredients from China.
Company Reputation And Quality Control Issues
Canidae generally has a good reputation though their extreme secrecy about who makes their foods and where they are made is troubling . There seems to be some intent to deceive the public about these matters. They have not been involved in any recalls other than the May 2012 recall with Diamond. However, pet owners are advised to check out the Consumers Affairs site for additional complaints and concerns about the food.
Don’t Miss: What Are The Benefits Of Raw Food For Dogs
Pet Food Recall History
Since its inception, Canidae has had one history of dog food recall in 2012 because of possible salmonella contamination. Although its products didnt test positive for it, some brands manufactured in the same facility did.
Diamond Pet Foods manufactured the batches in question. Its also the pet food maker of popular brands like Blue Buffalo, Diamond, Taste of the Wild, and Solid Gold. Canidae launched its facility in 2012 in Brownwood, Texas, but it still uses other company-owned facilities.
From 2006-2007, Chinese suppliers sold vegetable proteins contaminated with melamine. I remember that many premium pet food brands stopped importing from them since then.
Canidae has an excellent safety record if we base it on its recall history. In its more than 20 years of existence, it only has one pet food recall.