Honest Kitchen Ocean Chews
People often think fish appeals more to cats, but dogs like it just as well. These Ocean Chews from the Honest Kitchen provide crunch and a fishy flavor with no added ingredients. Animal nutritionist and educator Cat Lane of The Possible Canine usually makes her own healthy dog treats, but also recommends the Honest Kitchen treats.
Made with human-grade ingredients in a human-grade kitchen, products like Ocean Chews are known for wholesome nutrition for companion animals. These treats are made of actual fish skins, often doubled up in two layers to provide a nice width to chew. Theyre are a good choice for pets with food sensitivities to other ingredients like chicken or beef.
- While dogs love the pungent odor, humans likely wontso re-seal in a baggy and wash your hands after handling
- Smaller dogs may need the treat cut up into smaller bites to avoid choking
Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula
Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Barley, Oatmeal, Pea Starch, Flaxseed, Dried Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavor, Peas, Pea Protein, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Potatoes, Dried Chicory Root, Pea Fiber, Sweet Potatoes, Carrots, Garlic, Others, Vitamins, Minerals.
- BLUE BUFFALO Superior Nutrition Ultimate Protection, Chicken, Brown Rice & Healthy Fruits & Veggies
- Real meat with chicken providing high quality protein for building your dogs muscles
- Wholesome Whole Grains with the meat giving this a healthy meal
- Vegetables and fruits for a holistic meal
- Antioxidant rich for strong immune system with special LIFESOURCE BITS formula
- Vitamin and minerals like calcium for strong bones and teeth.
- Glucosamine ingredient helps joint function and your dogs mobility
- Omega fatty acids from flaxseed added for a healthy dogs skin and coat.
- Packaging sizes which includes 6 lb, 15 lb, 30 lb
- 3 Recipes available: Chicken & Brown Rice, Fish & Brown Rice Lamb & Brown Rice.
This product from BLUE BUFFALO Company is made in USA with vital ingredients giving your dog one of the most healthy dog food. The food can be given dry or with water. It has no wheat, corn and artificial preservatives. With enhanced supplementation of antioxidants and glucosamine, this a high-quality, holistic and healthy dog food.
Tips For Feeding Small Breed Puppies And Dogs
- Small breed puppy dog foods are required to pay more attention than large breed dogs and puppies as they have a higher metabolism rate.
- Whatever food you bring for your pet, check what portion or amount is to be fed. All foods are to be fed in a particular amount, so make sure you check the label.
- Small-breed puppies are prone to hypoglycemia and thus have to be kept at a higher blood sugar level.
- Monitor the frequency of their growth and feed necessary food accordingly. In the initial days, they have to be fed 3-4 times a day.
- Pick up the food with a smaller bite-size so that they can consume comfortably.
- Avoid feeding your small breed dog with your table scraps, as giving the dog food helps maintain a balanced diet.
Also Check: Can I Mix Cat Food With Dog Food
Nomnomnow Fresh Food Delivery
Overall Best Weight Control Dog Food: When it comes to weight loss, many dog owners turn to fresh food because it is the highest in nutritional value. If youre looking for a great fresh food to feed your dog, consider NomNomNow fresh food delivery. This is a service that sends you pre-portioned packages of fresh dog food right to your door once a month. You simply fill out a profile online to provide your dogs age and weight information, then you can choose from several protein-rich recipes. Each recipe is made with wholesome, natural ingredients and cooked in small batches to ensure nutritional quality. Before choosing a recipe, you can view the calorie and fat content so you can make the right choice for your dog. You can also work with a company representative to choose the right portion to help your dog lose weight.
- Pros: Fresh wholesome meals, natural ingredients, choose from several recipes, pre-portioned packages sent to your door, cooked in small batches, high nutritional value
- Cons: Expensive to feed as a staple diet
Things To Look For When Buying Food For Small Dogs
Before you buy food for your small breed of dog, there are a few things to keep in mind when selecting the right recipe:
- Check the calorie content Little dogs can gain weight easily, so think about your dogs activity level. If they are less active, avoid high-calorie recipes that can lead to weight gain.
- Look for the size-specific formulas Lots of dogs advertise that this formula is suitable for all dogs. Try looking for recipes that are specifically catered to small or toy breeds.
- Make sure the primary ingredients are natural Dogs get their protein from both meat and plants, so check to see the primary ingredients in the recipe. Look for natural foods like meat, healthy whole grains, legumes, and vegetables. Avoid foods with fillers and additives. That is not the best choice for any dog.
- Buy a small bag first Some dogs are quite picky about their food. Instead of spending a lot of money on a large bag of food, buy a smaller bag to test it out on your pooch. This will save money and be less of a hassle.
Don’t Miss: How Much Food Should My Dog Eat
Tips For Helping Your Dog Lose Weight
Before you make any changes to your dogs diet, you should consult your veterinarian. Your vet will be able to confirm whether your dog needs to lose weight and, if so, how much. It is extremely important that you do not just cut your dogs daily food intake too severely because this could lead to a dangerous condition called hyperlipidemia or fatty liver disease. Instead, make small changes over time to reduce your dogs fat and lower calorie intake so he loses weight at a healthy pace.
Here are some simple tips for helping your dog lose weight:
What Should You Look For In Dog Food To Entice Your Picky Eater
It can be frustrating when youve laid out what you think is tasty and healthy dog food and your pup wont even so much as go near his bowl.
But here are some steps you can take to ensure that the dog food you select is at least more enticing and palatable to your pup than what you might have picked out otherwise.
1. Meat first ingredient. Although dogs are omnivores and not carnivores, meat makes any dog food more palatable so a recipe thats high in animal protein will stimulate your dogs appetite more than one thats based on carbs.
Its not enough that you choose a recipe that lists meat as a first ingredient. Check the other ingredients that follow. Some brands try to hide the fact that their formulations are lacking in animal protein by listing a meat product as the first but following it up with different kinds of carbohydrates next.
If there are lots of carbs, veggies, or fruits in the first five ingredients, check how much animal protein was used by the dog food brand. Some will usually announce it in the label as, Made up of 75% animal protein, or something like that. This means that even if theres only a single animal product in the ingredients list, it makes up a big volume in the recipe.
It can take the form of chicken fat, or fish oil in the ingredients list. Some recipes use plant-based oils as fat sources instead but these dont make the food more tempting for picky dogs.
Read Also: How Much Dry Food Should My Dog Eat
Do Small Dogs Really Need Small Dog Food
Now that we have listed our top small dog food choices, lets go over why small dogs need different food? If you have a small dog and a large dog, it seems more convenient to buy just one kind of dog food and be done with it. People who buy one kind of food will more than likely buy dog food suited for larger breeders. But this is not the best decision for your smaller dog. Why? There are a few reasons why smaller dogs need food formulated for them:
- They have smaller mouths and teeth If you look at the kibble size for larger dogs and compare it to smaller dogs, there is a noticeable difference. Food designed for small dogs will be much easier to chew and swallow.
- Small dogs have small stomachs Their stomachs can only hold so much food. This means that their food needs to have a higher nutritional quality to get the vitamins and minerals they need to thrive.
- Small dogs require more energy The ratio of body weight to surface area is higher in small dogs, so they need denser food in calories to give them the energy they need during the day to play and be healthy.
Homemade Dog Food Recipes For Small Dogs
Many dog food recipes make enough food for a whole pack of dogs. If you have a small dog, you probably only need one or two cups of food per day. You dont want to spend too much time cooking, but you also dont want your freshly cooked dog food to go bad or take up all of your freezer space.
Thats where these homemade dog food recipes for small dogs come in! All of these recipes can be made in small batches, enough to feed your small dog for a week or two, without overwhelming you with dog food. Scroll down to find our very own Hepper homemade recipe , along with 10 other easy-to-make recipes.
Read Also: Is Dog Food Bad For Cats
The Different Types Of Food: Pros And Cons Compared
When choosing food for your dog, you have two main options: dry dog food or wet dog food. Each has unique pros and cons and may be best for your dog at different stages of its life.
Dry dog food: Affordable, easy to store, and comes in a lot of brands and flavors. Look for one that has small-sized kibble to make it easy on your small dogs teeth and digestion.
Wet dog food: Often more expensive and needs to be refrigerated after opening. Comes in smaller portions and has plenty of nutrition that dogs, especially senior dogs or those with dental problems, can benefit from. Many dogs enjoy eating wet food, even as an occasional treat.
Orijen Original High Protein Dog Food
Another respected maker of high-quality pet foods, Orjen has been making quality dog food for nearly 30 years. Its Original formula contains 38% protein, 85% of which come from animal sources such as chicken, turkey and fish. Its also available in several other flavors and raw freeze-dried formulas as well as recently added formulas with grains.
Orjens high-protein dog food is a good choice for a small dog with lots of energy, like a papillon or toy poodle. Keep in mind, however, that excess protein may be harmful to senior dogs, especially those with kidney disease. Whats more, protein is calorie dense, so excess protein can easily contribute to weight gain in a less active pup. Although dogs nutritional needs vary a great deal, most dogs need about 18%-25% protein in their diet to maintain healthy muscle mass and optimal energy.
Note: All of the above dog food manufacturers also offer wet or canned food for dogs. If you prefer not to feed your dog kibble, any one of the many formulas they offer can be fed instead. Or you can add a little wet food to kibble to make it softer and a little more palatable.
You May Like: What Is The Healthiest Dog Food On The Market
Dr Tims Weight Management Metabolite Formula Dry Dog Food
Top 5 Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Whole Oat Groats, Dried Field Peas, Powdered Cellulose
Fun fact: One of the owners of Dr. Tims is a canine nutritionist while the other is a vet.
So, its safe to say that with this weight loss formula, youre in good hands. It contains L-carnitine which helps burn fat into useful calories. Not just that, but it also contains BC30 probiotic which improves digestion.
Analysis: Protein 30%, Fat 10%, Fiber 8%, Moisture 10%
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Healthy Weight Small Breed Dog Food
This healthy weight formula is designed to keep your doggo happy and healthy by preventing obesity and still getting him the nutrients , he needs to stay active. Made with chicken, rice bran, and plenty of nutrient-dense veggies and fruits, this proprietary blend will leave your pup feeling healthier than ever. Youll love the low cost, too, and its available from PetCo for in-store pickup or shipping right to your door! Get your bag today and learn why so many pet owners trust Nutro for their pets health and dietary needs.
Don’t Miss: How Many Cans Of Wet Food For Dog
Canidae All Life Stages Dry Dog Food
Canidae All Life Stages Chicken and Rice is one of 5 recipes included in our review of the Canidae All Life Stages dry product line.
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, cracked pearled barley
- Type: Grain-inclusive
- Price:About 1.20 per pound
- Best For: All adults + puppies
- Other recipes: Large breed, less active, multi-protein
- See all 5 available recipes
This Canidae All Life Stages formula takes the bulk of its animal protein from chicken meal. Our dry matter label report reveals the recipe contains 29% protein, 17% fat and 46% estimated carbs which produces a fat-to-protein ratio of about 60%.
Typical buyer reviewI have tried dog food after dog food. I have a 30lb basset with a sensitive tummy, a 50lb pit with skin issues and allergies, and a 7lb chihuahua that eats everything and seems to always be under weight. This food works for the whole gang!
How Do I Get My Dog On A Feeding Schedule
The best way to get your dog on a feeding schedule is to keep it at 2 meals a day. Only allow your dog to eat during your specified time. Put the food bowl down for 5 minutes at mealtime and pick it up after that even if your dog hasnt fed. Then, place the bowl down at the next feeding time and let your dog eat for 5-10 minutes. Remember that some dogs can be picky eaters. Also, if you suspect that your dog is sick, contact your veterinarian.
Read Also: When Should Dogs Start Eating Adult Food
Finely Chopped Dog Food
If your dog is picky or will only eat finely chopped dog food , you can either run the vegetables through a food processor or finely chop them on a cutting board. Hand held boxed graters work but take a lot of time. I use the shredder blade on my processor and buzz everything through. Also, try frozen riced vegetables, they are a great option and work great!
Iams Proactive Health Smart Puppy Small Breed
Proactive Health Smart Puppy Small Breed is one of 12 dry recipes included in our review of the Iams Proactive Health product line.
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken, ground whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, dried beet pulp
- Type: Grain-inclusive
- Best for:Small breed puppies
- Price: $
This Iams product takes the vast majority of its animal protein from fresh chicken. Our dry matter label analysis reveals the recipe contains 33% protein, 20% fat and 39% estimated carbs which produces a fat-to-protein ratio of about 60%.
A high-quality recipe ideal for small breed puppies.
Sample buyer reviewI highly recommend Iams small bites puppy food. Great nutritional value and a great price. You get what you pay for in dog food. My Boston Terrier pup loves it!
Also Check: Is Rachael Ray Good Dog Food
Blue Buffalo True Solutions Small And Mighty Small Breed Formula
Small but mighty! If that sounds like your dog, then this aptly named small breed dog food by trusted dog food brand Blue Buffalo might be the perfect fit. Real chicken is this food’s first ingredient, and the formula is outfitted with omega 3 and other important fatty acids, essential vitamins and antioxidant-rich ingredients that keep your dog healthy and energized so they can keep playing catch all day long. While this dog food is better for adult doggos, it’s specifically made for extra-small, small and toy breeds, so can you have peace of mind when feeding it to your pint-size pooch.
Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch Grain
Top 5 Ingredients: 1. Herring Meal, 2. Tapioca, 3. Salmon meal, 4. Pea Protein, 5. Canola Oil
This recipe is designed keeping in mind the high energy levels of small breed dogs. With most of its proteins being sourced from seafood, it is a great choice for providing sustained energy levels in small breed dogs. It also comes with a healthy mix of fibers and vitamins sourced from fruits and vegetables like peas, blueberries, and apples. The recipe is free from grains and gluten and comes with the perfect blend of Vitamins E and C to support the immune system and provide optimum health. So if your canine loves his seafood and has high-energy levels, then this recipe may just be the blend for you.
You May Like: Is Authority Dog Food Good
A Quick Comparison Of Our Winners
|Special diet:||No corn, wheat, soy, or by-products|
We picked Blue Buffalos Life Protection Formula Dog Food as the best overall food for small dogs. It comes in three sizes and is chicken and brown rice flavored. The primary ingredient is deboned chicken, which provides your small pup with a natural and rich source of protein. It also includes fruits and veggies as well as minerals, vitamins, and nutrients that are high in antioxidants. Its high in carbs and protein, perfect for the smaller dog. The kibble itself is the right size for small teeth and also works to help remove tartar buildup. Finally, it doesnt contain poultry by-products, wheat, soy, or corn.
However, Blue Buffalo includes the vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants combined into a small, dark brown chunk of food called LifeSource Bits. These bits seem to get rejected by several dogs, so you might notice these small, dark pieces of food scattered around the food bowl.
|Filet mignon and spring vegetables|
Cesars Small Breed Dry Dog Food is the best dog food for small dogs for the money. The price is right, and it contains crunchy kibble small enough for your dog as well as tender, meaty chunks. It has 26 nutrients and is high protein for your small dog. Real beef is the first ingredient, and the shape of the crunchy kibble can help with your dogs dental health. Lastly, the bag has a resealable zipper, keeping the food fresh.
|Special diet:||Weight control, vet diet, pea-free|