Merrick 38360 Dry Dog Food That Is Healthy Weight The The Best Overall
Theres no low-cost fillers or animal by-products in the package from the Merrick Health Weight. The food is made with only natural ingredients that will reduce the amount of calories your pet consumes.
Theres a lot of protein present in the snack which is borne out when you look at the list of ingredients.
Deboned beef is the primary ingredient however its not the only animal ingredient in the mix. It also contains turkey meal, chicken meal and chicken fat. theres more protein from plants than wed prefer, but its not a major issue at best.
The meals you feed your dog are crucial because theyre packed with the joint-supporting glucosamine and support for pudgy dogs. They also contain probiotics that keep your dogs digestive system in check.
The vegetables and fruits are equally delicious. Apples, sweet potatoes, and blueberries are all loaded with essential minerals and vitamins Your dog will enjoy them.
Merrick Healthy Weight might not be the ideal dog food, but its high-quality nevertheless. Its suitable for dogs of all sizes and is an easy choice for our number one place.
- Has probiotics for digestive health
- We have more Plant protein is more than wed want.
How To Choose The Best Dog Food For Weight Loss
Some dog breeds are simply larger or stockier than others, so how do you know if your dog is overweight?
The first sign is that its body weight is higher than the average for the breed anything over 15% above the breeds expected weight is considered obese.
Its also a sign that your dog is overweight or obese if you cant feel its ribs or see a defined tuck at its waist.
When shopping for a dog food for weight loss, the best place to start is with your dogs basic nutritional needs. All dogs require a minimum of 5% fat and 18% protein in their diets, so make sure these needs are being met.
From there, look for a recipe that is made with high-quality, digestible ingredients and that is moderate in terms of calorie content.
There are plenty of low-calorie and healthy weight formulas out there, but you still need to make sure they are nutritionally balanced.
The best dog food for weight loss will be higher in protein than the average dog food but lower in fat and calories.
It may also contain additional fiber for digestion and satiety, with beneficial supplements for nutritional balance. Keep reading to see our top 5 choices for the best dog food for weight loss.
How Should I Begin A Weight Loss Program For My Dog
Theoretically, weight loss seems simple enough: fewer calories in plus more calories out equals weight loss. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that.
You should never put your dog on a diet without the assistance of your veterinary healthcare team. There may be an underlying medical condition that is causing or contributing to your dog’s excess weight. Some common diseases associated with weight gain include hypothyroidism and hyperadrenocorticism . These diseases, along with others, should be eliminated as possible causes or contributors to your dog’s weight problem prior to beginning a diet. Too many dogs start on a diet and fail to lose weight simply because the diet was not the problem – a disease was. Your veterinarian will perform a physical examination and recommend blood tests to ensure that there are no obstacles to weight loss for your pet.
You May Like: Is Iams Grain Free
How We Chose The Best Dog Food For Weight Loss
In order to select the best weight loss dog food, we read the ingredients in several different weight loss formulas to determine which options best support weight loss will offering balanced nutrition. The information we collected, coupled with the countless reviews that we read, allowed us to narrow down the options to the five formulas that are featured in our review.
Diamond Naturals Light Dog Food
Best Overall Light Dog Food
- Tech Specs Is made with pasture-raised lamb as the first ingredient. Made with live probiotics specifically tailored to a dogs digestive system. Has an assortment of vegetables, fruits, added vitamins and minerals, and natural antioxidants. To help strengthen a dogs skin and fur Diamond Naturals Light contains omega fatty acids.
- Overview A great blend of natural ingredients to help a dog with problems it may have losing weight. It targets a variety of different concerns a dog may have like weight and digestion sensitivity. Great balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates that are just right for a dog to lose weight.
- What Youll Like Made with natural ingredients set to help a dog that may have other troubles besides needing to lose weight. Can help keep a dogs flatulence at bay if that is a concern.
- What You Wont Some dogs may not like how this food tastes if they have had other types of dog food to compare to.
- Recommendation I would use this for a dog that may have other concerns along with needing to be on a diet. Overall, I would say that this is the best dog food for weight loss.
You May Like: Purina Vs Pedigree Puppy Food
How To Choose The Right Dog Food
Choosing the right dog food can be a bit of trial and error because it means weeding out any possible sensitivities your pup might have.
You may find that if you give him a chicken-based diet, he gets itchy or develops ear infections, or if you feed him beef, he develops diarrhea, Dr. Marteney said. You may have to try three or four diets before you find one that he can eat long term.
As far as grain-free diets, you should steer clear of them unless your dog is truly sensitive or allergic to grains.
I recommend against grain-free diets for nearly all dogs whole grains bring a lot to the table in terms of nutrition, and a specific type of heart disease called dilated cardiomyopathy has been associated with grain-free diets, Dr. Marteney said.
And once you find a dog food that works, stick to it.
It’s best to use the cruise-control method of feeding, Dr. Marteney said. Find a food that works and just keep using it.
How Many Calories Does Your Dog Need
Caloric needs are one of the most important things to figure out when trying to manage your dogs weight. This will give you a target to guide your feeding practices.
But it isnt always easy to determine exactly how many calories your dog needs. Individual dogs have different metabolic rates and burn different amounts of calories over the course of a day.
The best way to figure out your dogs caloric requirements is by first determining her Resting Energy Requirements . This tells you the number of calories your dog needs to breathe, pump blood and perform other critical body processes.
To determine a dogs RER, you raise her body weight in kilograms to the ¾ power . This number is then multiplied by 70, which gives you the number of Calories she needs per day.
To borrow an example from Ohio State University Veterinary Medical Center:
A 10-kilogram dog = 703/4 = 400 Calories = RER
This number is then multiplied by one of several factors to arrive at her true caloric needs.
Don’t Miss: Pedigree Vs Purina One
How Much Should You Feed Your Dog For Weight Loss
The amount you feed your dog depends on numerous factors including its breed, size, and age.
The volume of food you give your dog depends on the calorie content of the recipe and your dogs calorie needs, so refer to the feeding recommendations on the package.
When it comes to weight loss for dogs, portion control and calorie control are important.
You want to meet your dogs minimum nutritional needs as well as its minimum needs for energy without excess calories.
Switching to a low-calorie dog food and controlling your dogs portion sizes should help.
You can also choose to keep feeding your dog its regular diet but reduce its daily portion by 15% to 20% for 6 to 8 weeks.
Hills Science Diet Perfect Weight
Best Weight Management Dog Food for Large Breeds
- Tech Specs Does not have artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives. Has antioxidants to help a dog with their immunity. Made with chicken as the first ingredient.
- Overview Scientific studies were collected with 70% of the dogs losing weight within the first 10 weeks of using this dog food . Can help your dog lose weight with natural ingredients. Great for dogs that are not as active, neutered, or have a higher chance of weight gain.
- What Youll Like Chicken is the first ingredient. Natural ingredients followed by studies to see how they work.
- What You Wont Contains whole grain corn, corn gluten meal, and powdered cellulose that some dogs may be sensitive to.
- Recommendation I would give this dog food a try as long as your dog does not have sensitivities to the ingredients. Great for larger breeds due to the low price.
Recommended Reading: Do Edible Arrangements Take Ebt
What Should I Look For In A Complete And Balanced Senior Dogs Diet
The glucose metabolism of your aging dog changes with time. This can affect attention, memory, and trainability. When choosing the right dog food thats both complete and balanced for your senior buddy, look for an option that has high levels of protein and lower levels of fat. Glucosamine, omega fatty acids, enhanced botanical oils, and antioxidants are essential ingredients as well.
Whats The Healthiest Food For My Senior Dog
We have listed the 17 best senior dog foods in this article that you can pick from. Also, the healthiest diet for your senior dog can be anything that matches their specific nutritional requirements. Any food that contains the appropriate balance of protein, fats, carbs, minerals, and vitamins is considered healthy for older tail-waggers.
Recommended Reading: Best Food For Pomeranian Puppies
Important Factors To Consider
If your pooch could stand to lose a few pounds, youre going to find that there are a lot of dog food formulas on the market that claim they support weight loss. Unfortunately, those claims are not always factual therefore, its important to read the nutrition label and look for the following factors when you are selecting a recipe:
- Reduced calories. A dog food that has a lower calorie content can help your pup shed weight. Any calories that your pet doesnt consume will be stored into fat, which will eventually lead to extra weight. Therefore, feeding your pet less calories can help to encourage his weight loss.
- Low fat. Like too many calories, too much fat can also lead to weight gain. A high quality dog food for weight loss will feature a reduced fat content to support weight loss.
- High quality protein. While protein contains calories, in order to process it, your dog will have to burn more calories, which will translate to weight loss.
- High quality ingredients. Like any type of dog food, a high quality food for weight loss will be made with premium quality ingredients. Real meat, fruits, vegetables, and healthy sources of fiber and carbohydrates are all indictors of a premium quality food.
Halo Holistic Turkey Turkey Liver & Duck Recipe Grain
Best Low Calorie Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach: If your dog struggles with food allergies or sensitive stomach, you need to be extra careful when choosing the best dog food to lose weight. This Halo Holistic Turkey, Turkey Liver & Duck Recipe Grain-Free Weight Control Dog Food is a great option because it contains only high-quality, natural ingredients in a nutritionally balanced weight loss formula. This recipe features fresh turkey as the main ingredients with turkey liver and duck as supplemental protein sources. It contains digestible grain-free carbohydrates like chickpeas and lentils plus dried fruits and vegetables for natural sources of key nutrients. This recipe is rich in omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat with plenty of beneficial supplements include vitamins, chelated minerals, and probiotics. Plus, it only contains 12% fat.
- Pros: Holistic natural recipe, rich in animal protein, low in fat and calories, digestible grain-free carbohydrates, high in fiber, rich in omega fatty acids, dried fruits and vegetables, probiotics
- Cons: Contains some plant protein
Read Also: Who Makes Dr Pol Dog Food
Best Senior Dog Food For Weight Loss
Individual dogs are prone to weight gain in their senior years.
This is especially the case in small breeds or those that can become lazy house dogs as they get older think your graying labrador or aging golden retriever.
Senior weight loss foods cater to senior dogs metabolic needs while providing the necessary supplements to care for any health conditions older dogs can develop, such as joint and hip issues.
1. Victor Purpose Senior Healthy Weight Dog Food
Rating: 4Top Ingredients: Beef Meal, Whole Grain Brown Rice, Whole Grain MilletType: Dry
Multi-protein, nutrient-dense weight loss formula, specifically developed for dogs with joint issues that need to lose weight.
Crafted from gluten-free grains, this healthy-weight dry dog food is made from premium beef, chicken, and fish meals.
This food has been fortified with vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, and amino acids.
- Includes glucosamine and chondroitin for joint health and L-carnitine for lean muscle development
- Offers a unique VPRO blend for digestibility and immune system health
2. Dr. Tims Metabolite Weight Management Dog Food
Rating: 4Top Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Whole Oat GroatsType: Dry
Premium weight management formula with several fiber sources and chicken as the primary protein with salmon meal and chicken liver meal also included.
This food is designed to speed the metabolism of older or inactive canines while providing a reduced-calorie diet to your dog.
Health Risks For Overweight Dogs: Why Should Your Dog Need To Lose Weight
Dogs that can maintain their ideal body weight can live up to 1.8 years longer than other canines.
Any extra weight can lead to your dog experiencing reduced immune system function and developing several health issues. These can include:
- An increased risk of diabetes mellitus
- Cardiovascular problems such as heart disease and high blood pressure or hypertension
Read Also: Bulk Buy Pedigree Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Weight Control Dog Food
Purina Pro Plan Weight Control Dog Food helps dogs to lose excessive weight. It combines an array of high-quality ingredients to deliver a perfect low-calorie meal for your dog. High considerable amounts of fat to avoid weight gain. But has enough fiber to enhance digest and keep the dogs full.
- High protein weight-loss food
- Helps maintain muscle growth while managing weight
- Healthy and natural nutrient source
Ketogenic Pet Foods Natural Dog Food features healthy macronutrients to help restore metabolic balance. The food can has high-quality nutrients and meat-based protein for healthy dogs. Its a fat creamy recipe with no artificial carbohydrate.
- Contains Nutritious oils to improve nutritional value
- Carb based pet food for high immune system
- Perfect recipe for fastest weight loss
Fromm Gold Weight Management Recipe
This is a sponsored placement, in which an advertiser pays a fee to be featured in this article. Learn more
About: Fromm Gold Weight Management Recipe is a super-premium dog food, designed to taste great, while still helping your pooch to lose a little weight. Free of artificial colors, flavors, and dyes, Fromm Weight Management is full of nutritious ingredients including a few unusual items that are sure to please owners and pups.
Features: Fromm Gold Weight Management Recipe is a slightly unusual food, which distinguishes it from most other weight-loss foods. For example, turkey liver is the very first item on the ingredient list. Several other common proteins are included as well, including duck, chicken meal, menhaden fish meal and lamb.
Fromm is also made with a number of great fats, which help to ensure it tastes great. These include salmon oil and chicken fat, as well as cheese a rather unusual ingredient among dog foods. Along with the salmon oil, flaxseed is included to provide omega-3 fatty acids.
Pearled barley and oatmeal provide the bulk of the carbohydrate content, although brown rice, white rice, and millet also appear on the ingredient list. Carrots, lettuce, and celery also appear amongst the ingredients, and they are included to provide vitamins, minerals and a bit of fiber.
Calories per Cup: 341
Turkey Liver, Chicken Meal, Pearled Barley, Oatmeal, Dried Tomato Pomace…,
Also Check: Is Caesars A Good Dog Food
What Food Is Best For Dogs With Skin Allergies
Once you’re sure that your dog has food allergies through an elimination diet or a vet, the next step is to give your pet the right food. Avoid food with ingredients that trigger any symptom.
You can use prescription dog food from your vet, make food from scratch, or try various types of allergy-safe food until you find what’s best for your pup.
Putting Your Dog On A Diet
After youve verified that your furry friend needs to slim down, consider everything they eat on a daily basis. “Do an honest assessment, covering all treats and snacks, including those given by other family members, neighbors, dog sitters, and dog walkers,” Murray says. “You may find all you need to do is cut these out.”
You dont need to nix treats altogether. “Be realistic — if you or your family likes to give them, it’s unlikely that a no-treat policy will succeed,” Murray says. “Choose healthy alternatives, such as veggies or rice cakes, and decide at the beginning of each day exactly how many the dog is allowed put this amount in a bowl, and when they’re gone, they’re gone.”
Another tactic to try is reducing portions. Murray recommends immediately cutting daily food intake by 15% to 20% for a six- to eight-week period, then analyzing the results. Additionally, your veterinarian can calculate the exact amount of calories your pet needs per day to lose weight based on their current size, ideal body weight, energy level, and general health.
Recommended Reading: Can You Purchase Dog Food With Ebt