How To Help A Dog Lose Weight
More than half of dogs in the United States are overweight, according to research from Banfield Pet Hospital. Since 2007, the number of overweight canine pets has increased a staggering 158 percent. When dogs are heavier than they should be, they are more prone to suffer from conditions such as heart disease, arthritis and diabetes, as well as a lower life expectancy. Luckily, there are ways to help your dog return to a healthy weight:
Specialty Diets For Small Breed Dogs
There are quite a few new pet food trends going around right now, including raw diets, grain-free diets, and home-cooked pet meals. If you are considering feeding a non-traditional diet to your small breed dog, talk with your veterinarian. There are serious concerns associated with some of these trends, especially raw diets, that pet owners need to be aware of in order to keep both their pets and their families safe.
Some small dogs have allergies to certain ingredients. If your dog has a food allergy or sensitivity, talk to your vet about the best type of food for your dog and what ingredients to avoid.
Creating A Feeding Routine For Your Dogs Weight
Its important for you to work with your veterinarian to create a feeding routine that keeps your pup satiated while also on track with their weight-loss plan.
Here are a few tips you can follow to help your dog hit their weight-loss goals:
Measure out the exact amount of food as directed by your veterinarian
Feed smaller meals throughout the day instead of free-choice feeding
Do not allow access to other pets food or human food
Limit treats and stick to vet-approved treats
Some vet-approved treats include:
Recommended Reading: Does Dog Food Taste Good To Dogs
Annamaet Grain Free Lean Dry Dog Food
Another viable grain free option, this Annamaet formula is a mix of chicken, duck and herring. It is a holistic food and like with most similar quality brands, it doesn’t contain any soy, corn, wheat or other grains, and also has no any artificial preservatives, colors or flavors. Instead, it includes a larger amount of high quality meat as the first ingredient, with added supplements to make up for low caloric content.
Being lower in fat and above average in protein, and added omega-3 fatty acids and chelated minerals makes it another one of the best dog foods for weight loss for you to choose from. The presence of L-carnitine is here as well to speed up weight loss for overweight dogs or larger breed puppies.
Solid Gold Fit And Fabulous Weight Control Canned Food
Best Wet Dog Food for Weight Loss: Many dog owners wonder whether it is better to feed wet or dry dog food for weight loss. There are arguments for both sides, but when it comes to wet food, youll find that most recipes are higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates than dry food. Be careful, however, because many wet foods are also higher in fat, so you may want to choose a weight control formula like this Solid Gold Fit and Fabulous Weight Control Canned Food. Specifically designed for weight control, this canned food recipe is low in both calories and fat but plentiful in protein. It features fresh chicken, chicken liver, and ocean whitefish as premium sources of lean protein with limited healthy fat content for the skin and coat benefits. This recipe also contains low-calorie fresh fruits and veggies like spinach, carrots, and apples to provide natural sources for key nutrients with chelated minerals for balance.
- Pros: Holistic natural recipe, lean protein options, low in calories and fat, fresh fruits and vegetables, grain-free digestible carbohydrates, chelated minerals, nutritionally balanced
- Cons: May be too high in fiber for some dogs, some dogs may be sensitive to chicken ingredients
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Pedigree Dog Food
Nutro Wholesome Essentials Adult Dry Dog Food
The pieces are slightly smaller than you would expect but this means that they are suitable for older large dogs as well as adults as they are easy to chew.
The mixture is full of anti-oxidants and vitamins for a healthy immune system.
The food is made from non-GMO ingredients and smells great.
Purina Pro Plan Focus Weight Management Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Purina dog food is another trusted manufacturer of a variety of formulas for dogs of all breeds, sizes, and ages. Their Pro Plan FOCUS Weight Management Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is made for all adult canines that need to lose weight, no matter their breed or size.
This Purina Pro Plan dog food for weight loss is formulated to offer 100 percent balanced nutrition. It is meant to support your pups overall health and well-being. The first ingredient is chicken, so it offers up a healthy dose of protein. It also contains easily digestible wheat bran and brewers rice to provide your pup with the energy he needs. Natural sources of glucosamine will help to strengthen your pets joints and can potentially stave off issues like arthritis and hip and elbow dysplasia. This formula also contains 25 percent less fat than other Purina Pro Plan dog food options for adult dogs, which further ensures that it will help your pup lose weight. Most pet parents say that they are very happy with the results and that their furry family members love the taste.
What We Like About It
- Contains less fat than other Purina Pro Plan formulas
- Features real chicken as the first ingredient
- Made with glucosamine to improve joint health
- Infused with essential vitamins and minerals
- Most pet parents say that they have noticed positive weight loss results after feeding their overweight dogs this formula.
Reasons to Complain
Don’t Miss: Who Makes Dr Pol Dog Food
What Are The Dangers Of Obesity For Dogs
As a dog owner, it is your responsibility to provide a healthy and nutritious diet for your dog. It is also your job to keep your dog happy and, unfortunately, many dog owners do so by overindulging their dog in treats and high-calorie snacks. Overweight and obesity are just as dangerous for humans as for dogs, but what are those dangers?
Here are some of the risks associated with canine obesity:
- Increased risk for developing canine diabetes mellitus
- Chronic widespread inflammation that may contribute to other diseases
- High blood pressure and other risk factors for heart disease
- Increased strain on the joints and early arthritis or other joint problems
- Higher risk for urinary bladder stones
- Reduced tolerance for heat and exercise, increased risk for respiratory problems
If you look at your dog one day and realize that hes overweight, dont fall into the trap of thinking theres simply more of him to love. You need to put your dogs health and welfare first, and that means helping him achieve and maintain a healthy bodyweight. Keep reading to learn some helpful tips to help your dog lose a few pounds.
Why Do Dogs Need A Low
Generally, our fur-mates with frequent gastrointestinal issues, a history of pancreatitis, or high-fat levels in their blood may benefit from lower fat foods. This Low-fat diets for our best friend are significant contributors that help in reducing any occurrence of ill conditions such as heart disease and obesity. Moreover, various breeds of dogs require low-calorie meals for weight loss so that they could be free from chronic obesity and extra weight. For dogs suffering from pancreatitis and gastrointestinal issues, low fat diets are beneficial. These best dog food for pancreatitis diets function identically to a low carbohydrate diet since macronutrient food components do not primarily decrease weight.
Best low fat dog foods are also important and beneficial to dogs suffering from Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Even moderate fat meals may cause harm or cause disease to build up in such diseased conditions. However, animals with certain medical conditions like a sensitive stomach, pancreatitis, and obesity require such meals to consume in order to lead a happy life. Dog diet that are too low in fat generally fail to provide adequate amounts of soluble vitamins. Certain fats are vital as a dog needs to have a healthy coat and skin.
You May Like: Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat Can
The Best Ingredients For Weight Management Dog Food
Exercise is definitely important, but the one thing you have total control over in helping your pet maintain a healthy weight is diet. While the number of calories your pet consumes daily plays a huge role in weight management, the quality of ingredients is just as crucial.
When pets eat foods high in sugar, fats, and salts, they often want more, even if they dont need more. Sound familiar?
Kibble-based pet food diets often contain high levels of sugar, fats, and salts in order to increase palatability. Your pet grows to crave this food, which can be very dangerous.
Read that again Our pets can be addicted to processed sugars and fats just like us!
Food is loveit is a huge part of the human-pet bond. And it is unbelievably hard to say NO to your adorable, sweet, loving pup when they seem hungry.
Lets stop this cycle.
Is Senior Dog Food Necessary
It is important to understand that there is no legal definition for senior or geriatric foods diets marketed as senior diets need to follow the same legal guidelines as diets for young or middle-aged adults. Therefore, dogs and cats should not be fed a reduced protein diet just because they are aging.
Recommended Reading: Is Iams Dog Food Any Good
How To Tell If Your Dog Is At A Healthy Weight
Because a dogs ideal weight varies by age, breed and build, a simple visual inspection from various angles is the best and easiest way to tell if your dog is overweight. You should be able to see a defined waist when looking from above and a tucked-in stomach when looking from the sides. The ribs may be slightly visible though they should not be sticking out prominently.
Halo Holistic Turkey Turkey Liver & Duck Recipe Grain
Best Low Calorie Dog Food for Sensitive Stomach: If your dog struggles with food allergies or sensitive stomach, you need to be extra careful when choosing the best dog food to lose weight. This Halo Holistic Turkey, Turkey Liver & Duck Recipe Grain-Free Weight Control Dog Food is a great option because it contains only high-quality, natural ingredients in a nutritionally balanced weight loss formula. This recipe features fresh turkey as the main ingredients with turkey liver and duck as supplemental protein sources. It contains digestible grain-free carbohydrates like chickpeas and lentils plus dried fruits and vegetables for natural sources of key nutrients. This recipe is rich in omega fatty acids for healthy skin and coat with plenty of beneficial supplements include vitamins, chelated minerals, and probiotics. Plus, it only contains 12% fat.
- Pros: Holistic natural recipe, rich in animal protein, low in fat and calories, digestible grain-free carbohydrates, high in fiber, rich in omega fatty acids, dried fruits and vegetables, probiotics
- Cons: Contains some plant protein
Recommended Reading: Is Natural Balance Dog Food Made In China
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food For Weight Management
- Grain-free and protein-rich nutrition with reduced 25% fat
- Non-GMO and globally finest ingredients
- Added Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
- Real meat of Deboned Turkey & chicken
- 42% high-quality protein composition
- Has Glucosamine & Chondroitin
We consider Wellness core grain-free to be the best low fat dog food for pancreatitis. It features high protein-rich nutrition and comes made in the USA using only fine globally sourced non-GMO ingredients for magnificent nutritional benefits. Deboned Turkey, Turkey meal & Chicken meal are its main ingredients. This quality assured product comprises a large concentration of 42% high-quality protein ingredients for leaner body mass and muscle tone. As cooked from limited ingredients to limit calorie intake, it is a perfect choice for food-sensitive fat dogs.
Wellness premium protein expertly balanced food with nutrient-rich super flavors is perfect in preventing pancreatitis. Glucosamine and Chondroitin are responsible for healthy hips and joints. It comes with guaranteed levels of all nutrients containing zero meat, by-products, no fillers, and zero artificial preservatives or flavors. Food is available in both grain and grain free recipes, suiting a dogs eating preferences. For a healthy and shiny coat, this one has Omega fatty acids from flaxseed and Salmon oil ingredients. A healthy heart supported by probiotics, antioxidants, and taurine levels is a major outcome.
The 10 Best Dog Foods For Weight Loss
The best dog food for weight loss is one made from wholesome, natural ingredients in a nutritionally balanced formula. The food should be made with lean sources of animal protein, digestible carbohydrates, and limited calorie and fat content. Youll need to choose the right recipe for your dog based on his preferences and any existing food sensitivities, but there are plenty of options.
Heres our top pick for the best dog food for weight loss:
|Our 2021 Picks: Best Weight Loss Dog Foods|
Recommended Reading: Iams Low Residue Dog Food Recall
Diamond Naturals Light Dog Food
Best Overall Light Dog Food
- Tech Specs Is made with pasture-raised lamb as the first ingredient. Made with live probiotics specifically tailored to a dogs digestive system. Has an assortment of vegetables, fruits, added vitamins and minerals, and natural antioxidants. To help strengthen a dogs skin and fur Diamond Naturals Light contains omega fatty acids.
- Overview A great blend of natural ingredients to help a dog with problems it may have losing weight. It targets a variety of different concerns a dog may have like weight and digestion sensitivity. Great balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrates that are just right for a dog to lose weight.
- What Youll Like Made with natural ingredients set to help a dog that may have other troubles besides needing to lose weight. Can help keep a dogs flatulence at bay if that is a concern.
- What You Wont Some dogs may not like how this food tastes if they have had other types of dog food to compare to.
- Recommendation I would use this for a dog that may have other concerns along with needing to be on a diet. Overall, I would say that this is the best dog food for weight loss.
What Causes Dogs To Gain Weight
Dogs gain weight for one, and only one, reason: They metabolize more calories than they burn off through exercise. The same principle holds true for all biological systems.
Ingested energy must be used in some way, and if your dogs breakfast isnt used for chasing the mailman, itll be used to create additional body tissue primarily fat.
Now, there are several things that can alter the number of calories your dog requires or change the way in which your dogs body uses the calories she eats.
For example, just because your dog eats 100 Calories of chicken doesnt mean her body will extract all 100 Calories portions of the food may pass through her system intact and the bacteria in her digestive tract will consume some of the calories.
Additionally, some dogs can utilize more of the calories in a given food than others, some dogs burn more calories while exercising than others, and some foods may even alter a dogs metabolic rate. So, it isnt always possible to figure out the exact number of calories your dog is consuming or burning.
But, the ultimate cause for weight gain is an imbalance in the calorie-in / calorie-out arithmetic.
Royal Canin Adult Dry Dog Food
This food is made of high-quality protein and is perfectly balanced, also a good source of fiber.
It supports the immune system and also supports healthy bones and joints which are very important in large breeds. There are Omega-3 fatty acids for healthy skin.
What will strike you as soon as you open the bag is that the food smells delicious!
Avoid Potentially Unhealthy Ingredients
The high-quality dog food shouldnt contain excessive fillers, sugars, or by-products. Also, avoid purchasing the meals that feature artificial additives such as preservatives, digests, flavors, dyes, colors ethoxyquin, BHT, BHA. Always check the label before you choose the product for your furry friend.
Don’t Miss: Royal Canin Gastrointestinal Low Fat Liquid
What Can I Do To Satisfy My Picky Eater
One way to enhance your dogs appetite is to add tasty toppers to her food. Mixing a few tablespoons of a quality canned food to your dogs kibble can help.
Fresh, raw or cooked chicken or beef can also get your dog to drool over their meals again. Eggs are another popular appetizer scrambled or boiled with no salt, oil or seasonings, of course.
Toppers can safely make up about 10-20% of your dogs diet. Youll need to be mindful of added calories and nutrients.
Wellness Core Natural Grain Free Reduced Fat Dog Food
Best Natural Dog Food for Weight Loss
- Tech Specs First three ingredients are deboned turkey, turkey meal, and chicken meal. Wellness Core Natural Grain Free also has a great assortment of vitamins. Is gluten-free, grain-free, no soy or eggs, and has no artificial flavors or preservatives.
- Overview Great source of high protein. A significant amount of vitamins that are needed for dogs are directly in their food. Does not contain any grain and is gluten free for dogs that have sensitive stomachs. The Wellness Core weight management food contains 25% less fat than the original Wellness CORE Original dog food.
- What Youll Like Great natural ingredients for dogs health. Can help with dogs coats becoming healthier and also illuminating mild skin irritation.
- What You Wont High price purchase item. Complaints of the brand making a change and some dogs are becoming ill due to the change.
- Recommendation This is a great type of dog food with good fats and quality ingredients. Again, check labels to ensure there havent been any changes to this kind of dog food and report any changes of the dog to your vet.
Don’t Miss: Dr.pol Dog Treats