Proper Nutrition For Dogs
Like humans, dogs have nutritional needs that must be met in order for them to thrive. Dogs’ nutritional needs differ from our own, so you can’t exactly start sharing your own dinner with your dog. Feeding an incomplete or imbalanced diet can lead to vitamin and nutrient deficiencies in dogs.
Dogs need enough calories to meet their energy requirements. A dog’s daily caloric need depends on the dog’s life stage and activity level. Your veterinarian can help you determine how many calories your dog needs each day.
A homemade dog diet should contain an appropriate balance of protein, carbohydrates, fiber, and fat. Vitamins and minerals must be added to the food to ensure it is complete and balanced.
- At least 10% protein, such as chicken, turkey, fish, lean beef
- Up to 50% carbohydrates, such as rice, pasta, and potatoes
- About 2.5-4.5% fiber, which can come from vegetables like peas, green beans, and carrots
- At least 5.5% fat, usually in the form of vegetable oil
- Vitamin and mineral supplements
If you are ready to get started cooking for your dog, the first step is to talk to your veterinarian. Your vet may have recipes for you to try. Or you may need a referral to a veterinary nutritionist or a vet that focuses on canine nutrition.
Best Homemade Hypoallergenic Dog Food Recipes
Certain ingredients in both commercial and homemade dog foods are known to risk an allergic reaction. Things such as gluten, soy, corn, and even beef should be avoided if youre afraid of an allergic reaction in your dog. Here are some of the best homemade dog food recipes for pets with allergies or sensitive stomachs:
- 2 stalks of celery
- 5 tablespoons of flour
Directions: Drain and fry the salmon with flour and the egg. Once the patties are done, remove them from the oil and stir the veggies in them for 5-8 minutes. Mix, let it cool off, and serve.
7. Homemade Kibble Recipe
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked cream of whole wheat
Directions: Mix and spread on a baking sheet. Bake for 50 minutes, let it cool off, and freeze it.
8. Ground Round Dog Food
- 2 pounds of ground round meat, sautéed in olive oil
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1 package of chopped carrots
- 4 tablespoons of low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons of bone meal
Directions: Cook together, adding the vegetables last, before the meat is ready.
9. Cheese and Chicken Dinner
- 3 cups of cooked chicken meat
- 3 cups of cooked brown rice
- 3 cups of cream cheese
- 1.5 cups of cooked broccoli
- 1.5 cups of cooked squash
Directions: Cook together, adding the vegetables last, before the meat is ready.
10. Doggie Peanut Butter Delight:
- 2 cups of chicken broth
Directions: Mix and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Dried Sweet Potato Chews
5. Chicken Soup Cookies
Directions: Mix, put into cookie sheets, and bake.
6. Beef Delight
8. Frosty Paws
The Abcs Of A Balanced Dog Food Diet
Understanding the basics of what makes a homecooked diet balanced for your dog will help when you discuss the options with an expert. Here are important ingredients for the canine diet.
Protein: According to the ACVN, dogs must have protein in their diets that contain 10 specific essential amino acids their bodies cant produce. This is necessary for the creation of glucose, which transforms into energy. Sources of protein include chicken and turkey, after removing bones, fat, and skin beef and lamb pork in limited amounts salmon and some other fish such as whitefish, herring, walleye, flounder, and Arctic char.
Fats and fatty acids: The most concentrated sources of fats in a dogs diet come from animal fats and plant seed oils. A healthy diet supplies the fatty acids the dogs body doesnt manufacture. Fatty acids support the function and structure of cells, keep skin and coat healthy, and enhance the taste of the food. Sources of fatty acids include plant-based oils, including corn, soybean, canola, and flaxseed oil, as well as fish oil.
Fiber: Dogs need fiber in their diet to keep their gastrointestinal system functioning and to help them from becoming overweight. Good sources of fiber for dogs include carrots, pumpkin, apples, dark leafy greens, brown rice, and flaxseed.
Don’t Miss: What Foods Can Cause Pancreatitis In Dogs
Best Homemade Dog Food Recipes
Whenever you read or hear about the homemade dog food recipes. Always check with your veterinarian and canine nutritionist for some homemade dog food with some top dog tips.
DIY Dog food recipes are great when they are well-balanced and done correctly, but they can lead to malnutrition and health problems in your dog when the recipe isnt up to par.
Its also crucial to consult your vet before doing so, especially if you have adopted a new dog and want homemade puppy food.
Today, Im listing 50 of my favorite best homemade dog food recipes, which your dog will enjoy.
Healthy Homemade Dog Food Ingredients
According to WEBMD your dog needs protein from animal meat, seafood, dairy, and eggs. They need fat from meat or oil and carbohydrates from grains or vegetables. In addition, essential fatty acids from plant oils, egg yolks, oatmeal, and other foods. The question is in what amounts? After much research, I created a recipe that our dogs love they are healthy, have tons of energy, and their coats and eyes shine!
The listed ingredients are used most of the time. However, you can make substitutions. Fresh meats like lean ground beef, ground turkey, and chicken gizzards provide a heavy dose of protein. Tuna, salmon, or sardines are always used. The eggs also add protein and essential oils. There are fruits and vegetables in the mix and even rice for digestion, although no wheat grains or sugars! Our homemade dog food is human grade. The main point is we know and control what goes into their food!
Also Check: Should Dogs Eat Grain Free Food
Why Do I Need Specific Food For Senior Dogs
There are many changes that the dogs body undergoes over the years. The power supply should vary according to the situation.
For this reason, some little aids in the form of vitamins and dietary supplements in daily food can be very helpful for your beloved dog to able to deal with age-related ailments, such as joint pain.
In addition, the metabolism slows down, activity decreases and the dog requires fewer calories. In fact, it is recommended that these be between 8% and 12% lower than when the animal is younger.
In addition, the old have a tendency to be constipated, so a little more fiber will not do them any harm to improve intestinal transit.
Does Your Senior Dog Need Fewer Calories
Obesity is rampant amongst pets in the United States. And older dogs are more likely to be obese than their younger counterparts. Not only have they had more years of over-consuming highly digestible food, but they also tend to burn fewer calories due to inactivity.
The smartest thing is to get an honest assessment of your pets weight from your veterinarian. If your pup needs to lose weight, ask your vet what your dogs ideal weight would be. Also, ask them to help you figure out how long it should take to lose the weight.
Getting an obese senior dog to a healthy weight could add years to his life. And it will definitely make those years more enjoyable.
You May Like: Where To Buy Dr Marty’s Dog Food
Our Favorite Homemade Dog Food Recipes For Senior Dogs
A healthy, nutrient-rich diet is important for any dog, regardless of age. However, for senior dogs, its even more essential. Being mindful of what and how much your older pooch eats can go a long way in helping to manage common issues associated with dog aging, includingobesity. There are lots of high-quality, specialty dog foods available and Ive had great success with some of them but they can be expensive. Making your own dog food is a more affordable alternative to commercial versions and youll be able to control what goes into it. If youre concerned about your pooch missing out on nutrients, adding supplements can be helpful too.
Be sure to keep any food allergies or dietary restrictions in mind and talk with your vet before starting your dog on a diet of homemade food, particularly if they suffer from any health conditions. You might also need to adjust the ratio of protein to grains and veggies to accommodate your dogs needs. With that in mind, here are a few of my favorite homemade dog food recipes for older dogs that contain tasty,safe ingredients.
What You Should Know About Homemade Dog Food
- Homemade dog food is prone to rapid bacterial and fungal growth if it is not chilled. Refrigerate or freeze your prepared homemade dog food in sealed containers at less than 4 degrees Celsius .
- Use refrigerated homemade dog food within 3 days. Check for odor and color changes before serving. Serve at just below body temperature. Ensure there are no hot spots if defrosting or warming the food in a microwave.
- Homemade dog food must be supplemented with calcium and dog vitamin and mineral powders. These dog supplements are not optional.
- Each recipe provides 1000 kcal. Serving size is determined by your dogâs dieting calorie requirement.
- Measure out the ingredients using kitchen scales to ensure the protein and calorie content is accurate.
- Do not cook or heat the vitamin/mineral supplement. Instead, add it to the meal just before feeding.
Also Check: Is It Ok To Mix Wet Dog Food With Dry
Our Favorite Homemade Dog Food Recipes
To jump to a recipe youre interested in, click on the link below. We also have some yummy organic dog treat recipes and treats made with Thanksgiving leftovers. You may wish to have a collection of pet food recipes on-hand at all times, making a cookbook an excellent choice. Dinner PAWsible is one of our favorites.
Note: The recipes below do not include serving size because portion sizes will vary depending on breed, weight, activity level, age, and the health of your dog. A recommendation is to feed your dog a comparable amount of ounces/cups to what you would usually feed in kibble BUT check with your vet to be certain.
Best Senior Dog Food For 2022
Best Senior Dog Food, Best senior dog food for arthritis, Best Dog Food for Senior
The best food for senior dogs? It is a very crucial topic. Among the best things you can do to help your senior dog stay healthy and active is to feed him a healthy diet, especially one that meets his specific needs.
Read on to learn more about senior dog nutritional needs and also to get strategies for choosing an excellent senior dog diet.
Read Also: How To Get Puppy To Eat Dry Food
A General Guideline For Preparing Homemade Dog Food
My DIY dog food recipe is more of a general guideline, rather than an exact meal plan that I follow each week. My dogs diet changes the same way ours does, depending on what we do and what we buy or grow.
However, we almost always stay with this basic formula:
- 50 percent cooked protein
- 25 percent cooked complex carbohydrates
- Fats and supplements
Protein is always meat and usually chicken, though weve also used turkey, pork, and beef. We feed any and all parts of the animals, but most commonly, we saute chicken breasts or chicken thighs in coconut oil and ground turmeric.
Coconut oil has a host of health benefits for dogs, such as improving the skin and coat, increasing energy, aiding digestion, reducing allergic reactions, promoting wound healing, preventing yeast and fungal infections, and supporting arthritis or ligament problems.
Turmeric has long been studied for its powerful medicinal properties, including its use as an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory.
We add it to the coconut oil since it is fat-soluble, and use it to support our pugs joint health.
Speaking of dark meat, we feed thighs and breasts interchangeably. While well remove the skin from poultry and trim off excessive fat from red meat, we dont worry about buying the leanest meat possible for our dogs.
A little fat is necessary for a well-rounded diet.
They tend to be the leftovers in our produce bin, so we never have to buy, say, a whole head of cauliflower just for the dogs.
Tuna And Vegetable Homemade Dog Food
Nutrient Analysis: This recipe provides 1000 kcal and 149g protein. Note: Ingredient weights refer to raw weights.
For more homemade dog food recipes suitable for dog weight management-visit WAGSTA Wellness.
Also Check: Royal Canin Can Puppy Food
How To Make Homemade Dog Food:
Making homemade dog food is a cinch! Heres a quick rundown of the process:
- Brown the turkey. Heat a large skillet or pot over medium-high heat. Add in the coconut oil and turkey and sauté until it is browned and cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add the veggies. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the zucchini, spinach, carrots and turmeric. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Mix in the egg. Turn off the heat and and crack in the egg. Let the egg cook in the hot food, mix it around to ensure it mixed through and cooked through.
- Stir in the rice. Add the rice and stir it in with the other ingredients until everything is well combined. Cool and serve!
Northwest Holistic Pet Care: Cooked Meal For A 20 Lb Dog
IMPORTANT: Before making any changes to your dogâs diet, please consult with your holistic veterinarian to ensure the changes are compatible with your dogâs current health status. Weigh your dog before making diet changes. Having a baseline tracking their weight will help you in adjusting quantities should they lose or gain too much. The amount of food a dog requires will vary based on activity level, age, and overall health status.
You May Like: Best Rated Dog Food For Small Dogs
Wet Or Dry Dog Food: What Should I Feed My Senior Dog
We have all wondered at least once if our dog should eat dry or wet food. In fact, both types are useful and recommended for all age groups. As far as possible, you should therefore combine the two variants because:
- Dry senior dog food usually contains more protein and can help strengthen teeth which tend to weaken a lot over the years.
- Wet senior dog food has a lot of water and helps our friends stay hydrated. It is also ideal for dogs who already have dental problems and cannot chew properly.
In the event that your senior dog has a serious tooth problem and can only be fed wet food, we advise you not to be tempted by products that are inexpensive, but also substandard.
This is because you run the risk of getting into nutritional imbalances and deficiencies. Always look for formulas that include as many nutrients as possible and use specific supplements if needed.
Do Dogs Live Longer On Homemade Food
Is it true that dogs who eat the appropriate diet live longer? Canines health and wellness improve when fed with homemade dog food without artificial additions, preservatives, or chemicals.
It also helps people live longer lives by reducing obesity and the prevalence of illnesses .
According to a Purdue University study, replacing just 25% of your dogs food with actual food, such as high-quality freeze-dried kibble or leafy greens, can reduce cancer risk by up to 90%.
According to a study published in Belgium titled Relation Between the Domestic Dogs: Well-Being and Life Expectancy, A Statistical Essay, dogs fed a high-quality, homemade diet lived 32 months longer.
Read Also: Why Grain Free Dog Food
Now Let’s Break Down The Recipe For My Easy Homemade Dog Food Shall We
The recipe box below contains a printable version of my go-to recipe for homemade dog food, which consist of lean ground sirloin, brown rice, carrots, hard boiled eggs, parsley, and a few tablespoons of oil that is high in Omega’s. But sometimes, especially since social distancing, I’ve found that it is helpful to have a list of easy substitutes for when ingredients run low. Plug in or swap out any of the items below based on what foods your pup likes/needs and what you have on hand to create your pup’s ideal dog food flavor profile.
Victor Super Premium Dog Food
- Key Feature: Weight Control, Sensitive Digestion, No Corn No Wheat No Soy, Gluten Free, With Grain
Reasons to suggest
- Victor Senior can help you keep an eye on your senior pets weight loss. Using their improved formulation, you can still feed the amount the puppy is used even without worrying if its getting too much.
- This can be useful in the transition period from adult to elderly. Not only that, you will also find enough minerals and vitamins that encourage joint, tooth, and bone health to keep your dog healthy and happy.
- This nutrient-rich formulation includes glucosamine and chondroitin for long-term joint health and L-carnitine to help convert fat into energy for lean muscle growth.
- This diet is great for much less energetic paws and adult dogs who will need to reduce their total weight.
- Made from fermented grains, Victor Purpose Senior Healthy Weight dry dog food is a great option for breeds that are vulnerable to joint difficulties.
- This recipe helps your dog Weight Control & super digestible recepie with 27% Crude Protein, 11.5% Crude Fat, 4.5% Crude Fiber, and 360 kcal/cup.
Recommended Reading: Natural Balance Synergy Dog Food