Weight Loss Dog Food: Key Benefits
There are a number of significant benefits to helping your dog lose weight, whether you use a weight loss dog food, increased exercise, or a combination of the two. One study found that normal weight dogs had a median life span of up to 2.5 years longer than overweight dogs3. Keeping your dog at a good body condition score can help keep him or her with you longer and happier, explains Dr. Markovich.
Overweight dogs are more prone to a variety of serious medical conditions, including osteoarthritis, joint injuries, high blood pressure, Type 2 diabetes, and systemic diseases like heart disease, kidney disease, bladder issues, and liver disease. By keeping your dog at a healthy weight, you can help to reduce their risk of developing one of these serious diseases.
What Are The Best Low Fat Dog Foods
Finding a quality, low fat dog food can be difficult.
Thats because most tend to contain too little meat with more potatoes and cereal grains.
However, in contrast
Better low fat recipes contain not only lower fat but also a significant amount of meat-based protein.
With that goal in mind
Our research team has of dog foods that meets these specific guidelines.
You can get access to a list of The Dog Food Advisors most recommended low fat dog foods here.
Dr Tims Metabolite Weight Management Dog Food Formula
Quality nutrition is key, no matter your dogs body weight. If youre looking for a formula that is lower in calories and fat than your dogs current diet but still rich in nutrients, try this Dr. Tims Metabolite Weight Management Dog Food Formula. This recipe is uniquely formulated for weight loss, featuring lean sources of premium animal protein with a patented probiotic to support optimal digestion and nutrient absorption. It contains essential amino acids like L-carnitine to promote healthy fat metabolism with under 270 calories per cup, 30% protein, and just 10% fat. Plus, it is very high in fiber and contains all the beneficial supplements your dog needs for healthy digestion and balanced nutrition.
- Pros: High in protein , low in fat and calories, lean source of animal protein, digestible whole-grain carbohydrates, rich in omega fatty acids, probiotics for healthy digestion, dried fruits and veggies
- Cons: Could be too high in fiber for some dogs, not a grain-free recipe
You May Like: How To Tell If Dog Is Allergic To Food
Dr Tims Weight Management Food
Premium weight management formula
This recipe relies on the chicken meal as the primary protein source, contains several fiber sources and is formulated to speed up your dogs metabolism.
About: Dr. Tims Weight Management Food is specifically designed to help speed your dogs metabolism, thereby increasing her caloric needs. Despite featuring relatively few calories, this recipe is formulated to keep your dog full between meals, through the inclusion of several different fiber sources.
Features: Dr. Tims Premium Weight Management Food relies on the chicken meal as the primary protein, and it also includes a salmon meal and chicken liver meal as well.
Brown rice and whole oats provide the bulk of the carbohydrate content, and several vegetables, including dried field peas, parsley, spinach, and celery, are included in the recipe.
Dr. Tims Recipe also features a few rather odd ingredients, including watercress and oddly enough pigs blood . Ground flaxseed meal is mixed in for the omega-3 fatty acids, while several fibrous plant materials are added to increase the foods fiber content. This includes things like beet pulp, psyllium seed husk, and chicory root.
Chicory root is particularly noteworthy, as it is a prebiotic a food for beneficial bacteria. This helps ensure that the probiotics included in the recipe will be able to colonize your dogs digestive tract.
Calories per Cup: 269.6
Curious About Dog Food For Weight Loss Here Are The Signs Your Dog Is Overweight
When it comes to how to tell if your dog is overweight, there are several things you can look for. More obvious signs you may have an overweight dog include changes in their physical appearance and having a harder time getting around, whereas less obvious signs your dog is overweight can include things like snoring, or your dog may even be one of the breeds prone to obesity. You can also get a rough idea of if your dog may be overweight by looking at a body condition score chart.
Either way, if you think your dog is overweight, its important to schedule a vet visit to ask a veterinarian what the best course of action is and to figure out a weight loss plan for your dog if they are overweight. You may also consider switching your pups food to a dog food for weight loss such as our Weight Control recipe, our best dog food for weight management and weight loss.
Also Check: Coconut Oil In Dog Food
Wholehearted Healthy Benefits Weight Control Lamb And Pea Recipe
First five ingredients: Lamb meal, peas, chickpeas, lentils, and sweet potatoes
Calories per serving: 279 kcal per cup
Price: $59.99 for 25-lb bag
WholeHearted Healthy Benefits Weight Control Lamb and Pea Recipe is not only low in calories, it’s grain-free, making it a trusted formula to help your dog maintain a healthy weight. Each bowl contains plenty of fiber, which keeps your dog full so that he consumes less calories throughout the day. The recipe also contains 50% less fat than other WholeHearted formulas.
WholeHearted Healthy Benefits Weight Control is formulated with L-carnitine, which metabolizes fat and plays a key role in weight loss. Each serving also contains high quality lamb protein along with vitamins and minerals to provide balanced adult nutrition for your furry companion.
This weight management dog food is suitable for dogs of all breeds and sizes. In just a few months, you’re sure to see a noticeable difference in your dog’s shape and activity level.
Grain Free Healthy Weight Dog Food
- As a member of our grain free series of dog foods, NutriSource® Grain Free Weight Management is formulated to meet AAFCO guidelines for all life stages. See the size of this kibble.
- NutriSource® grain free formulas deliver compact nutrition and include prebiotics and probiotics to help support a healthy gut.
- Balanced Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids along with L-Carnitine, taurine, choline chloride and DL Methionine supplementation to promote heart health make NutriSource® grain free formulas stand out.
You May Like: What Is The Best Sensitive Stomach Dog Food
Personalized Fresh Food: The Farmers Dog
The Farmers Dog offers fresh, human-grade meals using all-natural ingredients. All recipes are pre-portioned and personalized to your dogs specific dietary needs. You fill out a brief survey, which includes your dogs age, breed, current weight, and whether hes at a healthy size. You can have them customize the food for a weight-loss goal.
They offer turkey,pork, or beef recipes, developed by board-certified American College of Veterinary Nutrition nutritionists and flash frozen. And you can have all of your dogs meals regularly shipped right to your door.
- Calories: 282 kcal per 1/2 lb
- All ingredients: USDA turkey, chickpeas, carrot, broccoli, parsnip, spinach, fish oil, TFD nutrient blend
Price: starts at $2/day and includes free shipping
Our readers have access to 50% off your first box. No code is needed just use this link, and the discount will be applied. You can also visit our dedicated The Farmers Dog coupons page.
Our First-Hand Experience
This grain-free weight control dog food is an excellent option for dogs who are grain and gluten intolerant . It has a high protein content to help your dog feel full for longer. And it also contains some super healthy ingredients for overall dog health: omega fatty acids, antioxidants, glucosamine, probiotics, and taurine for a healthy heart. Its free of artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
Price starting at :$20.98
Other Ways To Help Your Overweight Dog
If your dogs either obese or slightly overweight, there are many different things you can do to get him back down to a healthy size besides feeding a weight-loss dog food.
Here are a few ways to help your pup drop his extra pounds:
- Increase his daily exercise. Ideally daily walks, Dr. Wigfall said. Hydrotherapy may also be helpful for very obese dogs with joint issues or older dogs.
- Increase play and use of toys inside.
- Nix treats. Use their daily kibble portion as a treat for good behavior, Dr. Wigfall said. Your dog cannot tell the difference and will still get the same chemical release from the reward of a biscuit of their regular food as they do from a store-bought treat.
- Dont feed him human food. Human food contains significantly more calories than pet food, so even a small portion of food can equal many calories, Dr. Wigfall said.
- Feed your dog based on his target weight, and reduce that target weight slowly so as not to underfeed him. This means you should set an achievable target weight first , and then adjust the target as he continues to drop pounds.
- Ask your vet about joining a weight-loss program if they offer one. These involve monthly weight checks, diet plans and exercise goals, Dr. Wigfall said. They are usually free to attend, and often there is a lot of competition to find the biggest loser.
Also Check: Is Aldi Dog Food Good Quality
Read Also: Is Puppy Food Bad For Adult Dogs
Tips For Making Your Dogs Food At Home:
- If youre not ready to make the leap to cooking all of your dogs food, try just adding some real, whole foods to their kibble. You can start with simply stirring in a scrambled egg, mixing in some chopped apples or carrots, or adding a small amount of the homemade dog food in with their normal kibble.
- You should be able to serve this homemade dog food to your dog either hot or cold. Ive found that dogs love this dog food so much, that they are not picky about how its served.
- Its not usually a good idea to abruptly change your dogs food. Start transitioning them to homemade food by mixing some of this in with their regular food or kibble for a few days until they are used to the new food. Your dogs belly will thank you. And again, remember to always discuss with your vet before feeding your pet something new.
- To give your dog a variety of different nutrients, use different meats, fruits, and vegetables to make your dogs food. However, if your dog has a sensitive stomach, it might be best to stick to one combination that you know works.
Wellness Core Reduced Fat
First five ingredients: Deboned turkey, turkey meal, chicken meal, lentils, and peas
Calories per serving: 366 kcal per cup
Price: $74.99 for 26-lb bag
Wellness Core Reduced Fat is specially crafted to help your furry friend maintain a healthy weight for years to come. When compared to Core Original, this formula contains 25% less fat, which means less calories per serving. This protein-rich, grain-free dog food is packed with premium nutrient-rich superfoods like apples, carrots, spinach, kale, and blueberries.
It’s fortified with antioxidants, omega fatty acids, probiotics, taurine, glucosamine, and other vitamins and minerals to support your pup from snout to tail. Together these ingredients support weight loss and management along with whole-body wellness.
Wellness Core Reduced Fat is made without any corn, wheat-gluten, soy, meat by-products, or any kind of artificial ingredient or preservatives. By feeding this weight management dog food, you can feed with confidence knowing that your canine is getting the nutrition he needs to shed weight and feel great.
Don’t Miss: Science Diet Wet Puppy Food
More Ways To Help Your Dog Lose Weight
In addition to finding a great weight loss dog food, there are other things to add to your dog weight loss plan that can help your furry companion lose those extra pounds. Daily exercise, portion control, and a regular feeding schedule are all important factors to consider adjusting in your daily routine that can make a big difference. Healthy snacks for dogs can also make a differencefinding a good low-calorie, low-fat dog treat option allows you to still treat your dog on occasion without hindering progress.
Purina Pro Plan Adult Large Breed Weight Management Chicken & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food
Supports joint health, a common issue in large or overweight dogs
Large nuggets difficult for dogs with dental issues
Only available in one flavor
Big dogs, generally considered those who weigh more than 50 pounds at maturity, have somewhat different nutritional needs from smaller dogs. For example, they may be more prone to orthopedic issues than little dogs, so this food contains glucosamine to support joint health.
The formula contains 15 percent less fat than the brands other similar adult maintenance formulas. The protein-to-fat ratio also preserves lean muscle mass while your pet loses weight.
Life Stage: Adult, large breeds | Available Flavors: Chicken & rice | Sizes: 34-pound bags | Primary Ingredients: Chicken, rice, whole grain wheat, poultry byproduct meal, corn gluten meal, oat meal, barley, pea fiber, fish meal
Also Check: How To Get My Dog To Eat Food
Nutro Natural Healthy Weight Dog Food
Affordable, low-cal diet dog food
This budget-friendly weight management formula features chicken and chicken meal as the first ingredients, along with wholesome, healthy grains like brown rice.
About: Another food that is great for portly pups, Nutro Natural Healthy Weight Recipe is a nutritious and delicious food, with a very low caloric value. But despite being a low-calorie food, Nutros Healthy Weight Recipe is full of tasty ingredients dogs love, such as real chicken and sweet potatoes.
Features: Nutros Natural Healthy Weight Recipe is a very low-calorie dog food. With only 228 Calories per cup, this is a food that is clearly designed for weight loss.
But because it is important to provide your pup with the nutrition she needs while shes losing weight, Nutro uses an assortment of high-quality ingredients in this food. This includes whole proteins like the chicken , as well as whole brown rice, lamb meal and dried sweet potato.
This recipe also includes several antioxidant-rich ingredients, such as dried carrots, dried blueberries, and dried apples. Vitamin and mineral supplements round out the ingredient list.
Most owners who tried Nutro Healthy Weight Recipe raved about it. Many reported that it helped their pet lose significant amounts of weight hardly a surprising revelation, given the reduced calorie content of the food. Many also reported that it increase their pups energy level too.
Calories per Cup: 228
Weight Loss Dog Food Vs Regular Dog Food
When it comes to weight loss for dogs, there are several things to look out for when choosing a dog food that will help with weight loss efforts. Calories in dog food is super important to pay attention to, as high calorie dog food will only hinder weight loss. Additionally, youll want to look for a lean protein like turkey that has fewer dog food calories per cup compared to other proteins. Fat content is another thing to pay attention to, as low fat recipes significantly increase the chance of success when it comes to your dogs weight loss plan.
You May Like: Which Dog Food Has Never Been Recalled
When My Dog Is Hungry She Pesters Me Until I Feed Her Do You Have Any Suggestions
It is often easier to give in to the dog that wakes you at four in the morning to be fed or the dog that stares at you during dinner or television time until you relent. These dogs have trained us well and know exactly which buttons to press when it comes to getting their way. Here are some tips for handling your pleading pup:
- Do not use a self-feeder. While this seems obvious, auto-feeders are nothing more than unlimited candy machines to a fat dog.
- If you do use an automatic feeder, use one that opens with a timer. This way you can measure out the proper amount and divide it into daily meals.
- Pet your dog or play with him when he begs for food. Many dogs substitute food for affection so flip the equation and you may find that playtime displaces mealtime.
- Go for a walk with your dog when he begs. The distraction and interaction may be just enough to make him forget his desire for food.
- Feed small meals frequently especially give a last feeding for those dogs that like to wake you up in the wee hours begging for more goodies divide the total volume or calories into four to six smaller meals whatever you do, do not feed extra food.
- When the bowl is empty and your dog is pleading, add a few kibbles to the bowl. A few means only a few not a handful. Keep a few kibbles separate from your dogâs measured daily ration for this purpose.
- Offer fresh water instead of food. If your dog is eyeing the empty food bowl, a drink of cold, fresh water may satisfy the craving.
Best Dog Food For Weight Loss: 7 Healthy Options
Most pet parents love spoiling their dogs with treats and extra food, but its important to keep your dogs weight in mind when slipping them table scraps. According to the Association for Pet Obesity Prevention, more than half of dogs in the U.S. are overweight or obese1. The Global Pet Obesity Initiative defines obesity as 30 percent above ideal body weight2. Excessive weight gain can put dogs at risk for serious health problems.
If your dog is overweight or obese, the best dog foods for weight loss can help them shed weight quickly and safely while still feeling full and energetic. Here are some of the top weight loss dog foods, as well as tips from veterinarians on how to select the best diet for your dog.
Don’t Miss: Where To Buy Wild Earth Dog Food