The Best Soft Dry Dog Food
The best dog food formulas feature the most straightforward and most nutritious ingredients. Opt for high-quality ingredients like whole meats, organic fruits, vegetables, and grains, and be aware of different macronutrients like proteins, fats, and carbs. You will also need to feed your dog the most appropriate food formula for their health, which benefits their breed and life stage.
Open Farm Farmers Table Pork Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food
Dogs and cats thrive on quality protein. Thats why every Open Farm recipe starts with meat as the first ingredient. Our meats are raised naturally without any antibiotics or growth hormones and have no artificial flavors, preservatives or fillers. And of course, we only source from third-party verified family farms that employ humane farming practices.
Easy to serve and easy to please. This high protein topper or complete meal is packed with humanely raised antibiotic-free raw pork. For added nutrition we include functional ingredients like locally sourced leafy greens, squash and pumpkin seeds, superfoods like coconut oil, and antioxidants like blueberries.
- High in protein and fresh pork
- Meats from audited higher welfare farms
- No poultry or meat byproducts
- 100% traceable ingredients
- 13.5oz resealable terracycle bags
Why We Love It
- Not all grains are created equal. Made with a wholesome blend of ancient grains including millet, brown rice and chia seeds.
- Made with Certified Humane® pork, humanely raised without the use of antibiotics or growth hormones.
- 90% of protein from animal sources.
- No peas, legumes and potatoes.
- No corn, wheat or soy.
Don’t Miss: Puppy Vs Adult Dog Food
Essential Features Of A High
One of the most significant dog food trends today is grain-free soft dry dog food recipes. Youll see that some brands have been releasing grain-free versions of their original formulas. That said, its essential to note that the FDA is investigating the potential for grain-free diets to trigger canine dilated cardiomyopathy . So far, they have not identified a specific dietary link to the development of DCM.
Heres what to look for in a soft dry dog food:
- No artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives like propylene glycol.
- Diets should be crafted with whole foods and not processed foods.
- Real meat instead of meat meal.
- Organ meats are also beneficial.
- Opt for by-products such as organ meats, which are fine, but have no non-meat parts.
- Calcium is essential in a dog food formula for healthy bone, teeth, growth, proper muscle building, etc.
- Vegetables for fiber and nutrients such as flavonoids.
- Formulas must be tested using AAFCO feeding trials or a formulation that meets AAFCO nutrient profile requirements.
- Specific quality control measures to assure consistency and quality of all ingredients used.
- Dog food formulas should be complete and balanced.
- Packaging should indicate what life stage the dog food is intended for.
- All recipes AAFCO approved, except Preference which is the premix
- Helps maintain a healthy weight in all dog breeds
For The Love Of Dogs Join Our Team
The Farmers Dog was founded by two dog dads who were fed up with the ever-growing gap between how pet food was marketed and how it was actually made . They wanted to make it easier for owners to care for their beloved dogs starting with truly healthy petfood options.
Our mission resonates with dog owners of all types across the country, but just as importantly, it continues to draw to our team some of the most brilliant, passionate, and caring dog people onthe planet.
We come from a wide array of personal and professional backgrounds. Your role could involve developing systems to safely and swiftly deliver fresh food to doorsteps around the country, or creating products and experiences that inspire dog people to rethink a century-old habit. But wherever you find your fit, we guarantee youll come to work every day and immerse yourself in an unmatched, values-driven company culture of curiosity, fun, and dog hair.
If this sounds like an environment in which youd thrive, wed love to hear from you. Roles were actively seeking to fill in both our NYC and Nashville offices are listed below, but if there isnt anything that sounds like a great fit, wed still love you to introduce yourself to us at .Our one requirement? You #mustlovedogs.
You May Like: Is Grain Free Dog Food Good For Skin Allergies
How Did We Choose The Best Soft Dry Dog Food
Because dog breeds have varying sizes, the feeding requirements will be different. That said, when you feed high-quality dog food from a reputable brand, youre on the right track.
Heres what we looked for when creating this ranked list of high-quality soft dry dog food. The ingredient list is packed with whole meats, organic fruits, or vegetables in their top 5 list of ingredients. Those that also add in antioxidants like blueberries, cranberries, pomegranates, and pumpkin are popular. Additionally, organic, natural, and preservative-free with no artificial ingredients are vital to a well-balanced and high-quality dog food.
Im Having Trouble Finding Soft Kibble Dog Food Why Is That
This is becausesoft kibble is somewhat of an oxymoron. Kibble typically refers to animal food in hard, dry pellet form. Many people will try to find the best soft kibble dog food, not realizing they should instead be looking for the best soft dry food. Using our list as a starting point, you should be able to find the best soft dry food for your dog. Remember, always speak to your veterinarian before making any dietary decisions for your dog.
Recommended Reading: When To Switch From Puppy Food To Dog Food
Is Tuna Bad For Dogs
Tuna is not toxic to dogs, and a tiny amount will not cause mercury poisoning. If you own both a dog and a cat, make sure your pup isnt eating the felines food, as wet cat food often contains tuna. Cats are also susceptible to mercury poisoning, so consider choosing a cat food made with other kinds of fish.
Get Them Going For $40/week
From Forbes. ©2021 Forbes. All rights reserved. Used under license. From the Forbes Vetted Contributor Network. All products and services featured are independently selected by Forbes Vetted contributors and editors. When you make a purchase through links on the Forbes Vetted page, we may earn a commission. Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
Don’t Miss: Bill Jack Frozen Dog Food
How Is Open Farm Dog Food Made
The process of manufacturing Open Farm products differs according to the type of food. It is minimally processed, and most of the processing is done at low temperatures to preserve nutrients and freshness in the food.
The ingredients used in Open Farm dog food are sourced from the US and other countries like Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, and Honduras. All the meat is obtained from humane farms, and the fish is sourced via sustainability standards set by Ocean Wise.
Protein Sources In Dog Food
Protein sources are derived from meat, meat-by-product meal, meat and bone meal, and soybean meal. It can also come from corn gluten meal with a portion derived from whole corn, barley, whole wheat, rice, amino acids, or animal digest. Each protein source needs to be examined to check for digestibility. Dogs can digest most of the protein in muscle meat, but not much in other animal parts like hair or hooves.
Fat is essential too and is a dogs primary energy source. Fat delivers vitamins to your dogs system and benefits the skin, coat, paw pad health, and nose suppleness. Fats are derived from fatty acids, and many different fatty acids are suitable for your pup. Your dog can synthesize all types of fatty acids, except omega-6 , obtained from muscle meat and vegetable oil.
A small amount of Omega-3s can be found in fish oil, and this is beneficial in helping decrease inflammation and arthritic symptoms. Keep in mind that the Omega-3 found in your dog food formula must be proportionated to Omega-6 fatty acids to be optimally effective. This is around a 1:5 ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6.
Remember that most pet food manufacturers comply with the Association of American Feed Control Officials . As a pet parent, you should spend most of your money on high-quality dog food than on any other pet-related expense apart from veterinary care.
Recommended Reading: What Kind Of Human Food Can Dogs Not Eat
How To Choose The Best Soft Dry Dog Food
- Spring for high-quality food to avoid obesity. Many diseases are linked to obesity. To avoid obesity in your dog, opt for high-quality dog foods. Combine a balanced diet with daily exercise and a healthy lifestyle.
- Consider your dogs breed. It is also essential to consider the health of your specific dog. If you have a senior dog, choose soft dry food that is easy on the stomach and is limited in fillers. If you have small dogs, ensure that the soft dry food contains balanced nutrients for a smaller breed life stage.
- Read the ingredients label. The best soft dry dog food formulas are crafted with the most straightforward and nutritious ingredients. Choose high-quality ingredients like whole meats, fruits, vegetables, and grains, and take heed of the different macronutrients like proteins, fats, and carbs.
- Consider the life stage of your dog. You will need to provide your dog with the most appropriate diet that is healthy and beneficial to his life stage so that you can help give your dog a long and healthy life.
- For best behavior, go meaty. Its vital to understand that feeding healthy helps with focus and behavioral issues. Consider choosing a mostly meat-based food with organic veggie and fruit ingredients.
Our Commitment To Diversity Equity And Inclusion
We want everyone who works at The Farmers Dog to be their authentic selves. For dogs, authenticity is the default. For people, we need to be more intentional about creating an environment where authenticity is the norm. Thats why were committed to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce, and investing in policies, hiring processes, and training that create and sustain an inclusive team.
Read Also: Fromm Gold Puppy Dog Food
My Dog Has A Specific Health Problem Can You Recommend A Dog Food That Could Help His Condition
We like the idea of meeting the dogs nutritional requirements first. This is because different food formulas can help manage certain health conditionsfor example, a diet with less fat or dog food for sensitive stomachs. If your heart is set on one particular formula, speak with the vet to find the best option for your dog.
Can Dogs Eat Scrambled Eggs
Eggs should be cooked before given to a dog. Cook or boil eggs plain without oil, butter, salt, seasoning, spices, or other additives. It doesnt matter how your dog likes their eggs sunny side up, scrambled, or hard boiled as long as they are cooked. In general, dogs shouldnt eat more than one egg per day.
Recommended Reading: Puppy Won T Eat Dry Food
Taste The Farmway Difference: Ontario Grass
Farmway Foods offers the ultimate farm to table experience with our farmers fresh meat! We work with local farms to supply the freshest, highest quality meat available. Contact us to learn about our grass-fed beef from Ontario local farms and taste the difference for yourself! We know youll fall in love with the superior flavour, texture, and freshness of our farmers fresh meats. To find out if we deliver to your area, contact us today.
Daily Antioxidants For Dogs
Antioxidants promote a healthy immune system, support optimal eye health in senior pets, and contribute to a regular inflammatory system. These can be added to your dogs food to help neutralize potentially harmful free radicals. But heres what you need to know:
- All antioxidants work somewhat differently
- A dog food diet that is varied and contains many antioxidants is beneficial to all life stages.
- Its never too early to supplement your dogs food to manage oxidative stress in healthy dogs.
- Senior dogs accumulate oxidized proteins and lipids, which can affect their health in many ways.
- Active and working dogs also experience significant oxidative stress. This is because aerobic exercise can result in free radical accumulation. The muscles produce energy using mitochondria .
The more active your dog is, the more power is consumed, and the more free radicals are made. This damages healthy muscle tissue, affecting endurance, performance, and recovery.
Its necessary to use antioxidants to manage oxidative stress in dogs of all life stages. A high-quality dog soft dry dog food diet should be used in conjunction with supplements like green-lipped muscles, glucosamine, probiotics, prebiotics, multivitamins, allergy chews, and hip & joint chews.
Its worth spending a reasonable amount on the best dog food you can afford and reputable supplements throughout your dogs lifetime.
Read Also: Rachael Ray Zero Grain Dog Food
Does My Dog Need Omega
Omega 3 fatty acids are very beneficial to your canine friends health. This is because they promote a healthy coat and skin, help with anti-inflammation in the body, and can even lower your dogs chances of getting cancer. You can supplement with Alpha Paws Omega Soft Chews. We like these because they feature flaxseed, wild Alaskan salmon oil, vitamin C, Biotin, Kelp, D.H.A. Gold, vitamin E, and more.
Other articles you might like:
What Is Open Farm Dog Food
Open Farm is a dog food company based in Toronto, Canada but operates in the United States as well. The company was founded by a couple looking for better options for their dogs. The founders were inspired by a need to create dog food that was not only good for dogs but for the environment as well.
As a company, Open Farm dog food has a very strong emphasis on sustainability and ethical sourcing of ingredients. All the ingredients in a particular bag of food that was sourced are traceable to their origins. Most of the ingredients are sourced from small family farmers who meet Open Farms minimum standards.
Those standards include a promise to treat animals well and never to use antibiotics and growth hormones on the animals.
Also Check: Rachael Ray Puppy Dog Food
Allergies Or Special Needs
Some dogs suffer from allergies or other medical conditions requiring specific diets, such as diabetes. Dog allergies can range from corn or wheat intolerance to sensitivities towards ingredients like chicken, beef, or fish. To avoid ingredients that could cause an adverse reaction or other health issues, look for the words hypoallergenic or limited ingredient.
How Often Should I Feed My Dog
This also depends on your breed and age. Free-feeding is a popular way to get an accurate read of your dogs nutritional requirements. This means leaving food out all day and refilling as necessary. However, if this is not working for your pup, you can switch to feeding three times a day and taking the food away after twenty minutes.
Recommended Reading: How To Measure Dog Food Portions
How Do Supplements Benefit Working Or Sporting Dogs
Supplements can benefit working or sporting dogs as some supplements help with training, focus, and recovery. If you have a dog that enjoys the outdoors, you should consider adding supplements to their diet. Sporting dogs are the same. Supplements are often considered for older dogs, but younger working or sporting dogs can also benefit from supplements.
Consider this if you are thinking of adding supplements to your dogs diet:
- What do you need the supplement for? Then compare the options available to find the best one for your needs.
- Would your dog benefit from a supplement designed for dogs with a specific condition or problem? For example, would your dog benefit from an antioxidant supplement if they have cancer? Or would they benefit more from a joint supplement for a dog with arthritis?
- What size is your dog? Small, medium, or large. Supplements are designed for all dog breeds, and dosage is based on the weight of the dog.
- How much or how little does your dog eat? This will affect the size of the chew you choose.
Just remember, supplements wont provide all the nutrients your pet needs, so they should be used in addition to a healthy diet.
Is Open Farm Dog Food Good For Dogs
Yes, Open Farm dog food is good. The food is made from the highest quality ingredients and superfoods that ensure premium nutrition quality for your dog. The food is also free of any potentially harmful ingredients like preservatives, by-products, GMOs, and fillers.
Pets currently eating Open Farm dog food are in good health, some in even better health than before they started on the food.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Dog Food For Huskies
What Did We Think Of Open Farm Dog Food
- Open Farm is a pet food company specializing in dog and cat food.
- Open Farm dog food emphasizes sustainability and ethical sourcing of ingredients during its production process.
- All of Open Farms recipes meet AAFCO nutrition standards except for one .
- Open Farm dog food features natural, high-quality, human-grade, and non-GMO ingredients.
- Open Farm offers different foods and supplements for dogs of all life stages .
First-time customers can also get 20% off their first auto-ship order using the code VET20!
Veterinariansorg Rating Of Open Farm Dog Food: 10 Out Of 10 Stars
We give the brand 10 out of 10 stars based on our experience with Open Farm Dog Food. We like that the brand offers different types of food for dogs, and each category features various recipe options. We are also happy with the ingredient quality and overall manufacturing process. Plus, the meals are complete, balanced, and palatable.