Never Feed Your Husky These
You should never allow your Siberian Husky to eat the following in any form or amount:
- Alcohol this should go without saying, but this can have an effect on your pups brain & liver.
- Grapes and Raisins both can cause kidney damage in dogs.
- Chocolate contains theobromine which is toxic in larger quantities.
- Candy and Gum contain artificial sweeteners which are not recommended.
- Onions and Garlic this can cause iron deficiencies in your dog.
- Tomatoes these can increase blood pressure and give your pup heart palpitations.
- Avocado contains ingredients that are toxic to dogs.
- Caffeinated Drinks should go without saying, but your dog doesnt need either.
Royal Canin Medium Puppy Dry Dog Food 30 Pounds
- Royal Canin Medium Puppy dry dog food is tailor-made for puppies up to 1 year old with an expected adult weight of 23-55 poundss
- Meets the high energy needs of medium-sized puppies with key nutrients needed during their short growth period
- Helps developing immune systems thrive with an exclusive blend of antioxidants and vitamins
- Supports healthy growth for their bones and joints though a specialized mineral blend
- Promotes healthy digestion with highly digestible proteins and prebiotics for optimal stool quality
How Many Calories Does Husky Dog Need
Huskies are medium-sized dogs with an athletic build , And they tend to be energetic.
The maximum weight of the Siberian Husky is 23 kg, so this is the weight I used to calculate how many calories your Husky needs in its food.
This number is probably lower for female Huskies, as they often do. weigh less than men.
- 1000 calories seniors / neutered / inactive huskies
- 1200 calories typical adult huskies
- 1700 calories active / working adult huskies
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Royal Canin Dog Food Cheap
Taste Of The Wild Pacific Stream Dod Food
If theres one thing that clearly separates the Taste of the Wild dog food for huskies, then that would be its penchant for using only novel proteins. Take for example its Pacific Stream Canine Formula that contains salmon caught in the wild.
It does have a higher omega-6 to omega-3 ratio at 8:1. Compare this to Orijen Originals ideal 4:1 ratio and you can see why were quite apprehensive. Nevertheless, we think TOTW has managed to balance this with the inclusion of 3 probiotic strains that are known to improve the functioning of the immune system. Plus, the addition of vitamin E and other antioxidants can help negate the unusually higher proportions of omega-6 fatty acids. If you want to find out more about their company, product lines, and recall history, read our overview of Taste of The Wild Dog Food.
If theres any consolation, youre giving your husky food that is quite out of the ordinary because of its novel proteins. Moreover, its a lot cheaper than the Orijen, Blue, and Wellness CORE.
A cup of TOTW contains 360 kcal ME
Minimum protein and fat contents at 25% and 15%, respectively
Maximum fiber and moisture contents at 3% and 10%, respectively
First 2 ingredients are salmon and ocean fish meal
Includes wholesome grains, vegetables, and fruits
Enriched with zinc, vitamin E, and selenium
8:1 ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids
Fortified with 80 million CFUs of 3 probiotic strains per pound of dog food
- Brand: Taste of the Wild
- Model: TWDT1576
Taste Of The Wild Dry Dog Food For Huskiesby Taste Of The Wild
It is a very popular dry dog food for Huskies that contains salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, blueberries, and raspberries. Plus, the manufacturer provides a tasty canned formula, as well. With 25% protein and 15% fat content, this dog food is an ideal choice for active Huskies.
- The right percentage of Omega fatty acids to keep the Huskies’ fur shiny and thick
- It contains vitamins D and E, necessary amino acids, and taurine
- An adequate level of zinc supports the normal function of the thyroid gland and prevent the occurrence of zinc-responsive dermatosis
- This grain-free food contains probiotics that keep the gastrointestinal tract healthy
- Without preservatives, artificial flavors, colors, and fillers, this is one of the best foods for Huskies made in the USA
- Kibble can be crumbly, and their size sometimes doesn’t suit every dog
- It is quite an expensive dog food
- Some dogs ask for more water while eating this food
You May Like: Why Does My Dog Keep Throwing Up Food
Wet Food Vs Dry Dog Food For Husky Puppies
Both wet food and dry food have their benefits for dogs, so it is easy to wonder which the right choice for your husky puppy is. Wet food is easier to eat and has a better flavor than dry food does.
Picky does are far more likely to eat wet food than dry food. Regardless, unless there is an underlying medical condition, it is not a good idea to feed your husky puppy wet food.
Dry food is less fatty, the kibble will help to keep their teeth clean, and it is less expensive overall, making it the better choice for huskies.
Pedigree High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food Beef And Lamb Flavor Dog Kibble 204 Lb Bonus Bag
- Contains one 20.4 lb. bag of PEDIGREE High Protein Adult Dry Dog Food Beef and Lamb Flavor
- Made with real red meat and 25% more protein than PEDIGREE Adult Complete Nutrition
- 100% complete and balanced high quality dry food for adult dogs
- No added sugar, no artificial flavors, and no high fructose corn syrup
- Active dogs of every breed go wild for the high protein recipe made with real meat and great taste
- Proudly made in the USA with the worlds finest ingredients
- Unique crunchy kibble helps clean teeth
Recommended Reading: How To Transition Dog Food
What To Feed Your Huskies
Siberian Huskies have a lot of stored up energy, and they can be incredibly active. They are generally not picky eaters, but their unique feeding habits may complicate things. For example, they will not eat if they feel full, they can;get bored;of a certain type of food, and they will eat only when they want to eat.
This is why you need to look at the quality of dog food for Siberian Huskies that you buy them and make sure it has the right supply of protein, carbohydrates, fats, minerals, and vitamins that the body needs of a large breed like the husky.
Blue Buffalo Freedom Grain Free Dry Dog Food
This big bag of dry dog food is a great choice for anyone that wants to go for a high-protein approach for their huskies. The grain free formula is full of great ingredients including de-boned chicken, fish meal, tapioca, omega 3 and 6 fatty acids and other helpful vitamins and minerals.
There is also the added bonus here that there are great reports from dog owners whose pets have sensitive stomachs. This option seems to go down well with lots of canines, which means that fussier huskies may appreciate it too. Therefore, it is easy to see why many view this as the best dry food for huskies.
You May Like: Is Heb Dog Food Good
How To Choose The Best Husky Food
When it comes to your Husky’s food, it’s very important to read the label and find out how much of each nutritional need is being met when you feed them. As Huskies are the athletes of the dog world, they may need higher protein levels to keep them satisfied.
It is very important to choose a higher-quality dog food for your Husky because this can help to ensure that their nutritional and daily caloric needs are being met on a consistent basis.
Things To Avoid And Important Health Considerations
There are also things to avoid when creating the ultimate best diet for Siberian husky dogs. For example, a low carb diet is best to avoid any potential blood sugar issues. As we mentioned above, there are many husky owners that prefer not to include grains in their pets diet. Others like to turn to options that are lactose and/or gluten-free. This is simply because it is not that uncommon for this Siberian breed to experience these sorts of intolerances. If your dog is in this camp, try and avoid any options with milk, milk powder, whey, or wheat. Other huskies are known to have issues with artificial additives and fillers.
Dont forget that dietary needs can also change if your pet husky has a health condition. For example, those with specific deficiencies may need a specialised formula to compensate. Older dogs with joint issues may need something better suited for this condition, or a special senior husky diet. If you have any doubt about the dietary needs of your pet, speak to a veterinarian.
You May Like: What Is The Tastiest Dry Dog Food
What Kind Of Dog Food Should A Siberian Husky Eat
The Siberian huskys evolution makes them often seem like picky eaters, which is due to their specialized dietary needs. Lots of protein and fat are important components of good husky nutrition. Specifically, a minimum of 30% protein and 18% fat content is ideal for any dog food for a Siberian husky.
Purina One Natural Dry Puppy Food Smartblend Healthy Puppy Formula
- One 16.5 lb. Bag – Purina ONE Natural Dry Puppy Food, SmartBlend Healthy Puppy Formula
- Real chicken is the #1 ingredient in this dry dog food kibble with 28% protein
- High protein puppy food supports his growing muscles
- Healthy Puppy food contains DHA, a nutrient found in mothers milk, for vision and brain development
- Purina ONE is veterinarian recommended
Read Also: How Good Is Iams Dog Food
Husky Puppy Nutritional Needs
While dogs, in general, have some general needs, the nutritional needs of a husky puppy are going to be different than some other breeds.
Huskies are well-known for their energy level and their close appearance to the wolf. For that reason, they really do need a meat-based diet that does not have a lot in the way of grains or fillers.
- Protein: At the bare minimum, your husky needs to have a diet that is 22% protein. Proteins should come from human-grade meat sources such as chicken, lamb, beef, or salmon.
- Fat: Looking at fat, your huskys diet should be about 8% fat. They will also get this from the meats within their foods and will do better with lean meats rather than fatty meats.
- Carbs: Carbs should be a minimal part of the huskys diet. Carbs do not do anything to help them and can hinder them if they have the common condition of hypothyroidism.;
- Fiber: While fibers are often contained in wheat, you can also get fiber from legumes. Having some of the food contain fiber will help with digestive health.
- Omega: Omegas in general come from foods like salmon and will help with immune systems as well as brain development.
The amount of calories your husky needs will vary depending on his activity level.
How Many Calories Does My Husky Dog Need
Huskies are medium-sized dogs with an athletic build , and they are usually high-energy.
The max weight of the Siberian Husky is 50 lb , so this is the weight I have used to calculate how many calories your Husky needs in his food.
This number is likely to be lower for female Huskies, however, as they tend to weigh less than males.
1000 Calories Senior/Neutered/Inactive Huskies1200 Calories; Typical Adult Huskies1700 Calories Active/Working Adult Huskies
*These calculations are worked out using Dog Food Advisor. You should consult your veterinarian to get a better idea of the specific caloric needs of your Husky dog.
Recommended Reading: What Dog Food Is Best For Dogs With Itchy Skin
Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food Beef Pea & Brown Rice Recipe
This Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food is another top dog food for huskies with animal protein as its first ingredient. This healthy source of proteins ensures your dog has lean muscle mass and healthy organs.
Also, this natural dog food uses wholesome grains like peas and brown rice, which are excellent sources of energy for your feisty husky.
Moreover, rice and peas are rich sources of fiber which is essential in supporting your huskys digestion system.
The chicken fat in this recipe is a rich source of omega 3 and omega 6 to support your dogs skin health throughout.
Other than that, the Rachael Ray Nutrish Dry Dog Food has no artificial flavors or poultry by-products. These ingredients have low nutritional value to your husky. All you find in this dog food for huskies is high-quality natural ingredients that will leave your dog nourished.
Overall, some dog parents like the quality of this grain-inclusive dog food. Others like the price of this dog food for working dogs.
However, some dog owners complain that this recipe is greasy.
- Not perfect for dogs sensitive to grains
Purina Pro Bright Mind
- One 30 lb. Bag – Purina Pro Plan Large Breed Senior Dog Food,…
- Enhanced botanical oils have shown to promote alertness and…
- High-quality protein, including chicken as the first ingredient
- EPA, an omega-3 fatty acid, and glucosamine help support joint…
If you click the link above and make a purchase, we earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
This recipe, named Bright Mind, is full of botanical oils that are proven to promote alertness and mental sharpness, which is noticeable within 30 days. It is still full of rich protein to maintain his lean muscle mass for those Siberian Huskies who are still energetic, with chicken being the first ingredient listed. It is also packed with antioxidants and omega-3 fatty acids to support joint health and mobility.
We love that this recipe still offers a high fat and calorie content for those senior Siberian Huskies who are still energetic, whilst still providing them with the age specific nutrients they need.
Also Check: How To Soften Dry Dog Food
Specific Dietary Requirements For Huskies
Because huskies have a very unique lineage, they have a quite distinctive diet compared to other breeds. The ancestors of the Siberian Huskies were heavy-endurance sled-bearing dogs that survived in sub-zero temperatures and ate only once a day.
This makes a significant impact on the diet of Siberian Huskies. They require a certain amount of nutrients in specific quantities at certain times. Though well discuss the feeding routine later on, here are some important dietary requirements by huskies:
Taste Of The Wild Dry Dog Food
This is a sponsored placement, in which an advertiser pays a fee to be featured in this article. Learn more
Bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product…,
sweat potatoes, peas, potatoes, canola oil, roasted bison, roasted venison, natural flavor, tomato pomace, ocean fish meal, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate , manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride , vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin , vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Dog Food For Food Allergies
What To Do If My Husky Puppy Doesnt Want To Eat
There are a few different reasons that your husky might not want to eat his food. To begin with, how long have you had your puppy? If you just adopted him, he might be getting used to his surroundings and less comfortable eating at first.
Likewise, if you are switching out the food that you feed him, he might be less willing to eat his food at first. Give him time to adjust.
If your puppy was eating food, but suddenly isnt interested in eating anymore, then it is time to call the vet. Your vet can verify that there isnt anything concerning going on.
How Much Should I Feed My Siberian Husky
The food your husky will eat will be less in comparison to other large breeds. Given this, you may have to adjust the feeding amounts accordingly.;
On the back of the food packet, there will be a feeding guide. You may need to feed the smaller amount suggested for the weight of your husky.;
If you find your dog is constantly leaving leftover food, you are likely feeding them too much, if they are still looking for food, you may need to feed them more food.;
The feeding guide on the back of the food packaging is just a recommendation and the amount of food you feed your husky will vary as every dog is different.;
Read Also: How To Measure Dog Food Portions
Husky Puppy Feeding Schedule
Puppies should not be introduced to puppy food until they are at least 4 weeks old. Before this point, they will be with their mother still and reliant on her milk. At 4 weeks, you can see if the puppy is interested in the food, but many puppies are not yet.
When your puppy is 8 weeks old, you should aim to feed your puppy 3 times a day and continue to do so until he is about 6 months old.
The amount that you feed him will depend on the size of your dog, but it is likely going to be somewhere between 1 and 1 ½ cups of food a day, moving to 2 cups a day as he grows. At 6 months old, you can reduce his meals to just twice a day.
What Is The Ideal Nutritional Makeup Of The Best Dog Food For Huskies
Huskies typically grow to around 50 pounds, and need around 1300 calories per day. Of course, this will vary by individual but unless your;pup;is quite a bit overweight or underweight, or abnormally inactive, this should be close to what your pup will need.;
Despite being quite high-energy pups, huskies tend to eat a bit less than other dogs of similar size and activity levels. Its a good idea to feed them a slightly higher calorie food to make sure that they get enough nutrients in with their sporadic eating. They also need a high-protein diet , and a fat count of 12 to 16%. Fat is converted to energy so these bouncy pups will need good quality sources, of both fat and protein.
Read Also: How Do I Transition My Dog To New Food