Purina Pro Plan Weight Management
First five ingredients: Chicken, rice, poultry by-product meal, whole grain corn, and corn gluten meal
Calories per serving: 364 kcal per cup
Price: $58.98 for 34-lb bag
Who knew that losing weight could be so delicious? Your pup is sure to love eating Purina Pro Plan Weight Management dog food at mealtime. This dog food contains 15% less fat than Pro Plan Complete Essentials, making it a great option for chunky dogs who need to drop a few pounds.
The recipe offers a balanced protein-to-fat ratio to support lean muscle mass while your pup is losing weight. Top ingredients like chicken, rice, and fish meal keep your dog healthy and full.
This weight management dog food is fortified with live prebiotics and probiotics, which support immune and digestive health. It also contains vital nutrients, including vitamin E, B vitamins, calcium, zinc, and others.
Why Trust The Spruce Pets
This article was written by Arricca SanSone, a lifelong dog lover, who shares her home with two papillons who stay fit with marathon play sessions. She researched the market based on an interview with a board-certified veterinary nutritionist and criteria from the American Veterinary Medical Association, American College of Veterinary Nutrition, the Association of American Feed Control Officials, and the Pet Food Institute. She is a health and lifestyle writer for Prevention, Country Living, Veranda, House Beautiful, PureWow, and many others.
What Are Todays Most Popular Best Cat Food For Dry Skin Models
There are many best cat food for dry skin items accessible today for men and women seeking quality and reliability. Every best cat food for dry skin model follows the same essential premise. But they appeal to various users.
Inevitably, certain products will only appeal to particular types of people. Which products are the most popular amongst customers as a whole, you could ask. If you’d want a list, we have one here. Check out our wide range of products that look to be appealing to people of various ages, genders, and places.
Don’t Miss: What Dog Food Is Best For Gassy Dogs
Eagle Pack Reduced Fat
First five ingredients: Pork meal, dehulled barley, peas, ground brown rice, and oatmeal
Calories per serving: 343 kcal per serving
Price: $59.84 for 30-lb bag
Eagle Pack Reduced Fat contains 11% less calories than the brand’s original formula to support weight loss and weight maintenance goals. This recipe is made with triple animal proteins, which offer great flavor while supporting healthy muscle tone.
Each meal will have your dog feeling amazing, as this food is packed with all sorts of nutritional support including flaxseed to support skin and coat health along with glucosamine for joint health and mobility. Eagle Pack Reduced Fat is also loaded with plenty of vitamins and minerals, including calcium, vitamin C, zinc, taurine, and others.
Eagle Pack Reduced Fat is made with trusted, natural ingredients, which means it contains no wheat, corn, meat or poultry by-products, preservatives, or artificial colors or flavors.
Questions & Answers Regarding Best Weight Control Food For Dogs
We currently have more knowledge about weight control food for dogs. Take a look at what we have to offer on this page.
1. How might USP affect your choice to buy a weight control food for dogs?
The phrase âUSPâ refers to a product’s distinctive selling point, which distinguishes it from competing products of the same kind.
A product’s unique selling proposition is whatever causes you to choose it over alternatives. This could be anything as simple as a single ingredient or as complex as a revolutionary new piece of technology.
2. What exactly does a pricing comparison chart contain?
A pricing comparison chart can provide you with information such as features, suppliers, ratings, characteristics, pros/cons, and prices so that you can analyze all of the options that are accessible to you.
This easy-to-read visual display allows you to compare and pick the best option.
3. Should you consider a particular brand before buying weight control food for dogs?
Before heading out to the store, it’s fine to have a specific brand in mind if you find that particular product more appealing or more at ease. However, be sure that it satisfies the majority, if not all, of the other standards.
You May Like: Best Natural Dog Food For Puppies
What Is The Best Dog Food For Weight Loss
There are a variety of dog foods on the market advertised to promote healthy weight in dogs. Weve selected five of our top picks to highlight below. Each of these recipes includes a low-fat diet, with little-to-no artificial, synthetic or filler ingredients for a healthy, balanced meal. Consider adopting a grain-free diet for your dog if are concerned about them filling up with fillers instead of real ingredients.
Other Ways To Help Your Overweight Dog
If your dogs either obese or slightly overweight, there are many different things you can do to get him back down to a healthy size besides feeding a weight-loss dog food.
Here are a few ways to help your pup drop his extra pounds:
- Increase his daily exercise. Ideally daily walks, Dr. Wigfall said. Hydrotherapy may also be helpful for very obese dogs with joint issues or older dogs.
- Increase play and use of toys inside.
- Nix treats. Use their daily kibble portion as a treat for good behavior, Dr. Wigfall said. Your dog cannot tell the difference and will still get the same chemical release from the reward of a biscuit of their regular food as they do from a store-bought treat.
- Dont feed him human food. Human food contains significantly more calories than pet food, so even a small portion of food can equal many calories, Dr. Wigfall said.
- Feed your dog based on his target weight, and reduce that target weight slowly so as not to underfeed him. This means you should set an achievable target weight first , and then adjust the target as he continues to drop pounds.
- Ask your vet about joining a weight-loss program if they offer one. These involve monthly weight checks, diet plans and exercise goals, Dr. Wigfall said. They are usually free to attend, and often there is a lot of competition to find the biggest loser.
Also Check: Is Aldi Dog Food Good Quality
Purina Pro Plan Focus Weight Management Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
Purina dog food is another trusted manufacturer of a variety of formulas for dogs of all breeds, sizes, and ages. Their Pro Plan FOCUS Weight Management Formula Adult Dry Dog Food is made for all adult canines that need to lose weight, no matter their breed or size.
This Purina Pro Plan dog food for weight loss is formulated to offer 100 percent balanced nutrition. It is meant to support your pups overall health and well-being. The first ingredient is chicken, so it offers up a healthy dose of protein. It also contains easily digestible wheat bran and brewers rice to provide your pup with the energy he needs. Natural sources of glucosamine will help to strengthen your pets joints and can potentially stave off issues like arthritis and hip and elbow dysplasia. This formula also contains 25 percent less fat than other Purina Pro Plan dog food options for adult dogs, which further ensures that it will help your pup lose weight. Most pet parents say that they are very happy with the results and that their furry family members love the taste.
What We Like About It
- Contains less fat than other Purina Pro Plan formulas
- Features real chicken as the first ingredient
- Made with glucosamine to improve joint health
- Infused with essential vitamins and minerals
- Most pet parents say that they have noticed positive weight loss results after feeding their overweight dogs this formula.
Reasons to Complain
Other Tips For Losing Weight
While the above foods are the best around for weight loss, they are not a miracle cure, and his weight loss journey needs more than just the right nutrition, so be sure to implement the following tips.
- Exercise: Dr. Ochoa at the American Kennel Club recommends that you create an exercise plan, which you need to stick too. If your pooch is particularly overweight then be sure to start off slowly, and begin your day with a 10 to 15-minute walk.
- Weekly Weight Monitoring: Just as you would with your weight, be sure to monitor his weight weekly and keep a diary of it. Dependent on the size of your dog, a few extra pounds might not be visible, but by monitoring his weight you can ensure that you know to feed him fewer treats and exercise him that bit more the following week
- Patience: Be patient with your pooch, and remember that crash dieting is just as bad for him as it is for us humans. If you are worried that he is not losing weight as he should then speak to your Veterinarian, and they will be able to advise you accordingly.
You May Like: What The Best Dog Food For Dachshunds
Whats The Best Way To Switch My Dog To A Weight Loss Food
To minimize the risk of digestive upset
Its best to transition from regular dog food to a weight loss food gradually.
Take your time. Dont rush.
Start by mixing about 25% of the new weight loss food with 75% of the regular food. Then, slowly increase that amount to a full 100% over the next 5 to 7 days.
Important Factors To Consider
If your pooch could stand to lose a few pounds, youre going to find that there are a lot of dog food formulas on the market that claim they support weight loss. Unfortunately, those claims are not always factual therefore, its important to read the nutrition label and look for the following factors when you are selecting a recipe:
- Reduced calories. A dog food that has a lower calorie content can help your pup shed weight. Any calories that your pet doesnt consume will be stored into fat, which will eventually lead to extra weight. Therefore, feeding your pet less calories can help to encourage his weight loss.
- Low fat. Like too many calories, too much fat can also lead to weight gain. A high quality dog food for weight loss will feature a reduced fat content to support weight loss.
- High quality protein. While protein contains calories, in order to process it, your dog will have to burn more calories, which will translate to weight loss.
- High quality ingredients. Like any type of dog food, a high quality food for weight loss will be made with premium quality ingredients. Real meat, fruits, vegetables, and healthy sources of fiber and carbohydrates are all indictors of a premium quality food.
You May Like: Royal Canin Dental Dog Food
Tips For Making Your Dogs Food At Home:
- If youre not ready to make the leap to cooking all of your dogs food, try just adding some real, whole foods to their kibble. You can start with simply stirring in a scrambled egg, mixing in some chopped apples or carrots, or adding a small amount of the homemade dog food in with their normal kibble.
- You should be able to serve this homemade dog food to your dog either hot or cold. Ive found that dogs love this dog food so much, that they are not picky about how its served.
- Its not usually a good idea to abruptly change your dogs food. Start transitioning them to homemade food by mixing some of this in with their regular food or kibble for a few days until they are used to the new food. Your dogs belly will thank you. And again, remember to always discuss with your vet before feeding your pet something new.
- To give your dog a variety of different nutrients, use different meats, fruits, and vegetables to make your dogs food. However, if your dog has a sensitive stomach, it might be best to stick to one combination that you know works.
Diamond Care Adult Dog Weight Formula
First five ingredients: Lamb meal, peas, chickpeas, lentils, and sweet potatoes
Calories per serving: 304 kcal per cup
Price: $52.99 for 25-lb bag
Diamond CARE Adult Dog Weight Formula is a high-quality weight loss formula that’s designed for all dog breeds. This food is packed with lean protein from lamb, along with a boost of fiber to keep your canine full between meals. With fewer calories per bite, your dog will shed excess pounds and feel better than ever.
Diamond CARE Adult Dog Weight Formula is boosted with L-carnitine for metabolism and fat burning support. It also contains glucosamine and chondroitin to protect your dog’s joints, as well as canine-specific probiotics to keep your dog’s gut health in tip-top shape.
This weight management dog food is made by a family-owned company and is manufactured in the USA. Diamond CARE Adult Dog Weight Formula contains no wheat, corn, fillers, or artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
Also Check: Is Science Diet Good Dog Food
When My Dog Is Hungry She Pesters Me Until I Feed Her Do You Have Any Suggestions
It is often easier to give in to the dog that wakes you at four in the morning to be fed or the dog that stares at you during dinner or television time until you relent. These dogs have trained us well and know exactly which buttons to press when it comes to getting their way. Here are some tips for handling your pleading pup:
- Do not use a self-feeder. While this seems obvious, auto-feeders are nothing more than unlimited candy machines to a fat dog.
- If you do use an automatic feeder, use one that opens with a timer. This way you can measure out the proper amount and divide it into daily meals.
- Pet your dog or play with him when he begs for food. Many dogs substitute food for affection so flip the equation and you may find that playtime displaces mealtime.
- Go for a walk with your dog when he begs. The distraction and interaction may be just enough to make him forget his desire for food.
- Feed small meals frequently – especially give a last feeding for those dogs that like to wake you up in the wee hours begging for more goodies – divide the total volume or calories into four to six smaller meals – whatever you do, do not feed extra food.
- When the bowl is empty and your dog is pleading, add a few kibbles to the bowl. A few means only a few – not a handful. Keep a few kibbles separate from your dogâs measured daily ration for this purpose.
- Offer fresh water instead of food. If your dog is eyeing the empty food bowl, a drink of cold, fresh water may satisfy the craving.
Orijen Fit & Trim High
This premium recipe has the highest calorie content on this list, so if you have a super porky pup then this might not be the best option for you. But it is great for those dogs who are still energetic and need their energy, and it is still much lower in calories compared to other standard kibbles. Despite being a healthy diet recipe, this ingredient list does not scrimp on protein, and with the first five ingredients being high-quality protein it will keep his lean muscles healthy and provide him with a biologically appropriate diet just as nature intended him to have. You might not like the idea of cartilage, liver, and heart, it will drive your pooch crazy!
This Orijen formula is full of antioxidants and is often compared to other high-quality dog food brands. Omega 3 fatty acids. After rich protein sources, the rest of this recipe is made with nutrient-dense fibers and antioxidants, such as pumpkin, zucchini, apples, cranberries, and parsnips, and it is grain free too.
We love that this premium award-winning recipe has a very high protein content for his other nutritional needs, and mirrors what he would have eaten in the wild. While it does have the highest calorie and fat content on this list, it is suited to those energetic or working dogs who need to maintain a healthy weight or just lose a little, rather than lose a lot of weight.
Don’t Miss: Do Dogs Need Grain Free Food
Dr Tims Metabolite Weight Management Dog Food Formula
Quality nutrition is key, no matter your dogs body weight. If youre looking for a formula that is lower in calories and fat than your dogs current diet but still rich in nutrients, try this Dr. Tims Metabolite Weight Management Dog Food Formula. This recipe is uniquely formulated for weight loss, featuring lean sources of premium animal protein with a patented probiotic to support optimal digestion and nutrient absorption. It contains essential amino acids like L-carnitine to promote healthy fat metabolism with under 270 calories per cup, 30% protein, and just 10% fat. Plus, it is very high in fiber and contains all the beneficial supplements your dog needs for healthy digestion and balanced nutrition.
- Pros: High in protein , low in fat and calories, lean source of animal protein, digestible whole-grain carbohydrates, rich in omega fatty acids, probiotics for healthy digestion, dried fruits and veggies
- Cons: Could be too high in fiber for some dogs, not a grain-free recipe
Calculating Your Dogs Calorie Intake And Target Weight
For otherwise healthy dogs, most veterinarians will calculate the calories your dog needs with a maximum goal of losing 2 percent of initial body weight per week.
Depending on a number of factors, a loss of 0.5 percent of initial body weight per week can be used as the minimum desired rate of weight loss.
Your veterinarian will also calculate your dogs target weight and determine the amount of time needed to reach this goal.
Then your veterinarian can suggest the best dog food for weight loss, explain how to calculate your pets daily calories and schedule regular weigh-ins. Often the weigh-ins will be scheduled every two weeks for the first two months of weight loss.
Once the target weight is achieved, a new feeding plan will be initiated with the best weight-management dog food to stabilize your dogs body weight.