Cost Of Natural Seizure Remedies In Dogs
Most natural seizure remedies, such as homeopathic oils, essential fatty acid pills, and other natural medicines, like melatonin, can cost anywhere between $15 to $200 per bottle or package. However, its highly recommended by veterinarians that the root cause of seizures be determined before treating a dog with solely natural resources. Because seizures may be brought on by serious issues such as thyroid problems or even cancer, affected dogs should undergo a rigorous exam to determine the source of its seizures.
Worried about the cost of Natural Seizure Remedies treatment?
Pet Insurance covers the cost of many common pet health conditions. Prepare for the unexpected by getting a quote from top pet insurance providers.
What You Should Feed Your Dog If He Has Epilepsy
Nutrition is important for overall health of all dogs. Specific diet recommendations for dogs with epilepsy include:
- There appears to be benefits in feeding dogs with epilepsy a medium chain triglyceride -based diet. Diets that were developed for the treatment of canine cognitive dysfunction were was studied to determine if there were any benefits in dogs with epilepsy. Theresults suggested that the frequency of seizures were lower in dogs fed this diet compared to a placebo food. You can supplement MCTâs in your dog diet by offering your dog natural coconut oil with his food. Coconut oil is a very good source of all four MCTâs. The coconut oil dose most commonly used is Â¼ of a teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight twice daily. For example, a 40-pound dog would require 1 teaspoon every 12 hours. A MCT-based dog food is Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind formula.
- There have been studies to evaluate high-fat and low carbohydrate diets and their impact on epilepsy. These studies have shown no improvement in seizure control in dogs with epilepsy.
- If your dog is overweight, a diet plan for a weight-reducing plan is recommended to optimize your dog health. Many dogs on seizure medications can gain weight while on therapy.
- Dogs receiving potassium bromide medications require study levels of dietary salt. Too much salt can increase the excretion of bromide which decreases the bromide blood level. Too little salt can lead to increased bromide levels.
What Are Natural Seizure Remedies
Because they are often unanticipated, seizures can take a family and their pet by surprise.. A seizure can be just as frightening to experience as it is to witness and many pet-owners express helplessness when it comes to finding aid.
While medications can be prescribed by a veterinarian, some dog owners dislike the side effects that go with them. Due to this fact, natural or homeopathic remedies might be an option chosen by many pet owners. Any method or procedure is considered ‘natural’ if it exclusively involves a tactic or source that is naturally occurring. A significant benefit of natural remedies is that they can be practiced in the comfort of ones home. It is important to note that even ‘natural’ products can have serious side effects, however.
Don’t Miss: How To Make Homemade Dog Food
What Food To Avoid If You Have Seizures
If you have a sudden spike or crash in blood sugar, this could cause seizures. This is why it is generally best to avoid high sugar, processed foods such as cookies, cakes, candy and white bread. Ideally you should aim to follow a balanced diet which will release energy into your bloodstream at a slower, steadier rate.
Can You Feed Dogs With Epilepsy Human Food
You can feed your dog some human foods but he doesnât actually need human foods. What he needs is a good quality balanced dog food. It is important to know that some human foods can be dangerous and even toxic. Read more aboutDangerous Foods â Learn What is harmful to Your Dog.
If you feed some table food as treats, avoid foods with excessive sodium such as processed meats and cheeses if your dog is taking bromide medication.
You May Like: Who Carries Eukanuba Dog Food
Dangers Of Seizures In Dogs
Although a single seizure is seldom hazardous, having cluster seizures can be one. A dog suffering from several attacks during a short period might cause the dog’s body temperature to rise, causing hyperthermia.
When you are not present, your pet may suffer a seizure randomly in critical spots of your house, for example, on the stairs or in your children’s playroom.
Thus, it would be best if you always take precautions when leaving them. As much as possible, call a trusted person who can look after them whenever you leave your house.
In contrast, they may also have seizures whenever you walk them out. It can happen during their playtime at the park or whenever both of you are crossing the road.
Hence, you have to stay attentive and reactive at all times.
What Can Trigger A Seizure In Dogs
Pay attention to environmental factors that trigger your dogs seizures. Once you make the connection, you can reduce his exposure to these triggers.
Triggers can be things like products you use around the house, foods, medications and stress. The full moon can even be a factor!
Avoid using chemical products in your home and yard.
- Use natural cleaning products
- Avoid scented candles and products with artificial perfume
- Dont smoke around your dog
- Be careful with loud music or flashing or bright lights
- Make sure you dont have any plants or flowers that could be toxic.
- Dont use chemical pesticides and herbicides in your yard
Caution: Avoid pharmaceutical flea and tick or heartworm preventives. These drugs work by paralyzing the parasites nervous systems which means they can also affect your dogs nervous system.
Also Check: Is Cat Food Good For Dogs
The List Of The 8 Best Foods For Dogs With Seizures
We will dive deeper into each of the 8 best foods for dogs with seizures in this post, but first, lets see what will be covered at a glance:
- Purina Pro Plan Veterinary Diets
- Hills Prescription Diet Dog Food with a liver care flavor/Pork Flavor.
- Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Dry Dog Food Best Protein Dog Food
- Rachael Rays Dog Food
- Blue Buffalo Wilderness For Large Breed Grain-Free, Chicken Recipe
- Zesty Paws, Salmon Bites
- Royal Canin Veterinary Diet, Ultimo
- Wellness Core Grain-Free Puppy Chicken & Turkey Recipe
The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Chicken Recipe
- First 5 ingredients: Dehydrated Chicken, Organic Barley, Dehydrated Potatoes, Organic Flaxseed, Organic Oats
- Type of product: High-Protein, No Corn No Wheat No Soy, Human-Grade, Non-GMO, Natural
- Life stage: Adult
- Best for Small Breeds, Medium Breeds, Large Breeds, All Breeds
The Honest Kitchen Whole Grain Chicken Recipe Dehydrated Dog Food is made with free-range chicken, simple garden produce, and organic whole-grain barley.
It is higher in protein and fat than other Honest Kitchen recipes, making it perfect for puppies and active adult dogs.
The formula is a hearty, budget-friendly recipe made with quality ingredients dogs crave. Plus, its made right here in the USA with no by-products, preservatives, or GMO ingredients.
Also Check: Can Dogs Get Tired Of Their Food
Top 10 Best Food For Dog With Seizures
Seizures are a growing concern amongst dog parents and one that is understood as little by veterinarians as it is by dog owners. While there is debate on the cause and necessary treatment for seizures in dogs, theres no doubt that changing your dogs diet can positively affect the frequency of their seizures.
Humans have been using specialized diets to reduce seizures since the 1920s. So, it makes sense that many would suggest this intervention as its shown to be incredibly effective for humans.
Diet changes have shown some improvement for seizures in dogs but theres been a little serious study on the efficacy of diet changes. Some preliminary empirical studies show little to no improvement. However, many pet parents of dogs with seizures stand by the diet change as a solution.
There have been reports on dogs heaving a reduction of seizure activity when the diet is based on good quality proteins, carbohydrate levels in their diets are reduced, and there is an increase of fat in the form of medium-chain triglycerides . We have chosen good quality food products and we suggest enriching your dogs daily diet with this supplemental coconut oil as a source of MCT.
With the addition of the coconut oil benefits, here are our favorite foods for reducing seizures in dogs!
|Bison & Venison
- Omega fatty acids help support and improve brain function
- A gluten-free recipe removes a potential source of seizures
Blue Buffalo Wilderness
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Selected Protein Adult Pr Loaf Dog Food
Our rating: 4.8Top Ingredients: Water Sufficient For Processing, Rabbit, Potato, Dried PotatoType: Wet dog foodDaily Feeding Cost: $3.44 per dayCaloric Content: 1,080 kcal/kg, 416 kcal/13.5-oz canBest for: All adult dogs
Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Selected Protein Adult PR Loaf offers high-quality nutrition for your pet formulated by veterinarians.
This formula is specifically designed for dogs with allergies while still providing all the nutrients your dog needs to live a healthy life.
For a price of $3.44 a day, your dog will get a diet rich in protein and carbs.
- The recipe features rabbit as the primary protein source to assist your pet with tissue growth and maintenance
- This food is packed with all the nutrients your dog needs including high levels of Vitamin B1 and B2 and Vitamin C
- This food contains plenty of antioxidant-rich ingredients to boost your pups immune system
Check out the best dog food recipes from this brand. Read our comprehensive Royal Canin Dog Food Review.
Don’t Miss: What Foods Can Dogs Not Have
Diets For Epileptic Dogs
The fact is that there are no specific dog foods made for dogs with seizures or for dogs with epilepsy. This is probably because seizures can have many different causes, some of which are entirely unknown. With that said, changing a dogs diet does help some dogs who have seizures. There are also some prescription dog foods sometimes prescribed for other conditions that also seem to help dogs with seizures. However, these foods work on a case by case basis.
Ketogenic also known as keto diets are high in fat, low in carbs, and have a restricted number of calories. This forces the body to produce ketones by making the body use its stored and consumed fats as a source of energy instead of carbs. This method has been used as a way to treat epilepsy in humans.
Its not clear yet why these diets help some people who have epilepsy. When in ketosis the state of the body using fat for energy ketones provide the primary source of energy for the brain. When there is an increased concentration of ketones the seizure activity appears to decrease. Higher levels of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may also help subdue seizures by reducing the excitability of nervous tissue and altering levels of neurotransmitters
What Foods Should Dogs With Seizures Avoid
Dogs with seizures should avoid several foods and additives that trigger attacks in humans and dogs alike. BHA, BHT, xylitol, ethoxyquin, and artificial flavors, dyes, and preservatives correlate with higher seizure activity in dogs and people. So, avoiding these trigger foods can help reduce seizures in dogs.
Additionally, there is some evidence that seizure activity increases when dogs eat gluten. So, gluten and grain-free foods should also help reduce seizure activity.
As always, you should avoid any foods that are toxic for dogs like chocolate, anything containing theobromine, garlic, onions, or caffeine as these can trigger fatal seizures, or your dog may die from toxicity.
Read Also: Is Diamond Dog Food Good
The Best Dog Food For Springer Spaniels’ Health
Before switching your dog to any new diet, always consult with a veterinarian. Remember that no article on the internet, including this one, can replace a consultation with a vet.
The Springer Spaniel is generally a healthy breed, but it is important to be aware of certain issues. The ones noted here may be helped or possibly prevented with the best dog food for Springer Spaniels.
Epilepsy Study Examines The Effects Of Test Diet With Mct Oil On Seizures
Neurologic researchers at the Royal Veterinary College , in partnership with Purina, recently investigated the potential role of diet in the nutritional management of dogs whose seizures were not being well controlled with AEDs. While achieving complete remission was not considered realistic for many patients, the goal was to reduce seizure frequency in epileptic dogs on chronic AED therapy.
A total of 21 dogs with idiopathic epilepsy that had experienced at least 3 seizures in the 3 months prior to enrollment completed a 6-month, randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blinded crossover study at the RVC. The study demonstrated for the first time that a test diet with MCT oil can have positive effects on reduction of seizure frequency when fed as an adjunct to veterinary therapy.18 Dogs in the 2 groups were fed either a test diet containing MCT oil or a placebo diet for a period of 3 monthsthen switched to the other diet. In the study, the following results were noted:
71% of dogs showed a reduction in seizure frequency
48% of dogs showed a 50% or greater reduction in seizure frequency
14% of dogs achieved complete seizure freedom
Also Check: What Are Considered Grains In Dog Food
What You Should Do If Your Dog Is Having Seizures
Even though seizures look dramatic and violent, in actuality, they are not painful. It might cause uncertainty, dread, or anxiety to the dog, but certainly no pain.
However, more frequent and severe seizures might potentially cause brain damage in your dogs, or worst, death.
If your dog is having a sudden seizure, and it’s your first time to be encountering this, try to follow the steps listed below:
1. Try to be calm. Getting stressed or anxious will not aid your dog.
2. Make sure the space surrounding your dog is free from objects so that they won’t injure themselves.
3. Avoid touching your dog’s head, and don’t put your hand in their mouth. Dogs, unlike humans, cannot choke on their tongues, so there’s no need to put your hand near his mouth. It is the most effective means of avoiding a bite.
4. Please keep track of how long the seizure lasts, as it might cause your dog to overheat. If it lasts more than 2 minutes, put on the ceiling fan or position a portable fan beside them to keep them cool. Soak a towel in cold water and place it on their paws.
5. Whisper comforting words to your dogs to reassure and make them feel safe knowing that their owner is there. If this is your dog’s first seizure, you should contact your veterinarian to discuss this along with and treatment options.
What Causes Epilepsy In Dogs
Epilepsy is a result of chronic seizures. It is a more dangerous form of seizure that arises from neurological defects. Some causes include the following
- Idiopathic: This is when the underlying cause of epilepsy is not known. The phenomenon is common in young and middle-aged dogs and occurs repeatedly. The factors to be considered may be genetic and environmental. It is not easy to be diagnosed, and some diseases must be ruled out to detect.
- Structural: These causes include changes in the physical structure of the brain. Examples are brain malfunction, tumors, infections, and trauma. Metabolic disorders that lead to the deterioration of brain neurons are not left out.
- Reactive: These are those causes that result from a temporary response to stimuli. For example, metabolic changes or poisoning.
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Wet Dog Food Last
What Nutrient Profiles Are Most Appropriate For Dogs With Seizures
A handful of nutrients are shown to help reduce seizure activity when it comes to nutrients. There are also a handful of additives that are shown to trigger seizure activity in those already prone to them.
Protein supports brain health and function. Additionally, protein supports the nervous system. So, theoretically, a high-protein diet should help reduce seizure activity by bolstering support to the brain and nervous system.
There is evidence that a deficiency in B vitamins can increase seizure activity. So, getting your dog food fortified with B vitamins or adding some extra B vitamins to their food may help decrease seizure activity.
Low-quality foods can contain trigger foods or other irritants that increase seizure activity. Investing in high-quality food with more rigorous processing procedures can help save you from the headache of potential cross-contamination or unknown sourcing.
Primal Chicken Formula Nuggets
Talk about paw-some dog foods, this one takes the cake. Primal Chicken Formula Nuggets is a first-class chow for your dogs whether as an occasional main diet, treats, or as toppers to their regular meals.
This raw food diet is made of organic, wholesome ingredients freeze-dried to retain all their natural goodness for your pups to enjoy.
Made with real chicken meat and liver from free-range chicken, and mixed with organic fruits and veggies like organic carrots, organic squash, organic kale, organic apples, organic pumpkin seeds, organic sunflower seeds, organic broccoli, organic blueberries, organic cranberries, organic parsley, organic rosemary extract, organic apple cider vinegar, organic quinoa, and organic ground alfalfa, this raw food is truly nutritious as it is delicious, and saves you from the hassles of preparing a raw or homemade diet.
For added favorable nutrients, the prepared raw diet also includes organic coconut oil and fish oil for essential omegas that can help prevent seizures and support coat health.
If these dont impress you enough, just take a peek at the guaranteed analysis for this product: 47% minimum crude protein and 25% minimum crude fat. Need we say more?
Don’t Miss: Best Wet Dog Food For Pitbulls