How Much Proteins Do Pitbulls Need
Proteins are essential to a healthy and functional canine body they are broken down into amino-acid chains and then used in the creation or maintenance of blood cells, hormones, immune response, muscle repair, etc. Proteins and water are the two most abundant molecules in our body a pitbull must eat a diet providing high-quality proteins to maintain good overall health.
The exact quantity of proteins for a pit bull is generally calculated in function to the pit bulls activity level. Regular adult Pitbulls can do just fine with around 30% of quality proteins in their diet. For active Pitbulls, 50% of proteins must be the target in order to keep the muscles strong and growing.
Proteins are made of amino acids and essential amino acids are those that cannot be made by the canine body. These essential amino acids must come from food or they will be lacking. Therefore, the number of proteins ingested matters, but the quality does too.
Organ meats are the most concentrated source of just about every nutrient, including important vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, and essential amino acids, said The Paleo Mom.
We recommend the following sources of proteins for Pitbulls:
- Poultry very lean meat, great for overweight Pitbulls
- Muscle meat high-quality proteins but pricier
- Offals packed with micronutrients and cheap
- Eggs complete amino acid profile and cheap
- Fish complete proteins along with quality fats
- Supplements protein powders, tabs, and caps
Choosing The Best Food
- Limited-Ingredient Diets These foods usually have just one protein source, so you will know if your dog can tolerate it or not. There is also a single source of carbohydrates. No fillers or extras are in these foods. Its the closest that you can get to a dogs natural diet.
- Grain-Free Diets Some Pitbulls can tolerate any proteins just fine but are allergic to grains and gluten. Grain-free foods may clear up the issue because these dont contain gluten.
- Unique Ingredients A unique protein source, such as bison or venison, may help lower your Pitbulls risk of allergies. Common protein sources can be irritating, and its hard to find one that is suitable for your dog. Introducing a unique protein source may mean there is less of a chance of an immune response.
How Often To Feed A Pitbull Puppy
Puppies receive all the relevant nutrients from birth by feeding on their mother. However, its safe to begin the weaning process onto a new diet for your Pitbull puppy after three to four weeks.
As previously mentioned, a growing Pitbull has different nutritional needs than an adult dog. But did you know puppies also need feeding more frequently at various stages of growth?
Don’t Miss: Is Canned Cat Food Bad For Dogs
Factor In The Life Stage Of Your Pitbull
Pitbulls at different life stages have different dietary requirements.
For example, Senior Pitbulls need a diet well supplemented with Gamma-linolenic Acid, Fructooligosaccharides, Vitamin E, and Beta Carotine that collectively keep their skin in good condition, improve gut health and eliminate bacteria harmful to body tissues.
With puppies, we recommend sticking to a feed free of fillers and made from a single protein source.
Pups usually find such food easier to chew and digest.
Guidelines to feeding schedules should be set to minimize risks of your pups developing health complications due to overfeeding.
Adults dogs usually need a greater degree of attention to detail when deciding on what to feed them with.
Unlike puppies that are generally inactive and do not exert a lot of energy daily, you need to factor your dogs level of activity, outdoor temperatures, and workload when selecting a feed as more calories burnt implies more portions of food servings.
How To Choose Canned Dog Food For Pitbull Puppies: The Buying Guide
How do you choose the canned dog food for pitbull puppies? You must consider many things, such as the brand name, price, and product quality. In addition, you should also consider whether it is suitable for your needs or not.
So how do you choose the right canned dog food for pitbull puppies? Here are some tips that you can use to help you find a good product:
What you Should Keep in Mind When Buying canned dog food for pitbull puppies
When shopping for a canned dog food for pitbull puppies, there are several things to consider. You need to think about the quality of the product, the price, and even how much it will benefit your life. However, you also need to keep these factors in mind:
Don’t Miss: Can I Feed My Small Dog Large Breed Food
Nulo Frontrunner Beef & Lamb Dog Food
Nulo Frontrunner is a quality dry dog food thats packed with healthy, all-natural ingredients. Beef is the first ingredient in the kibble, with 77% of total protein coming directly from animal sources, not vegetables. Nulo also contains flaxseed for Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, as well as a probiotic blend for digestive support.
- First 5 ingredients: Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal , Brown Rice, Peas, Rice Bran
- All natural, with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- 28% Protein, 17% Fat, 48% Carbohydrates, 7% Fiber
- Recipe includes no wheat, corn, soy, or animal byproduct meals
- Salmon and flaxseed for Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids
- High fiber content from brown rice and other grains
- Affordably priced compared to other quality dry kibble
- Made in the USA
- Higher carbohydrate percentage compared with other options keep this in mind for dogs watching their weight
Hills Science Adult 7+ Dry Dog Food
The Hills Science Adult 7+ Dry Dog Food is made with a chicken meal to provide optimal protein levels to senior dogs. Overall, this is formulated to promote healthy kidneys and heart.
This chicken and barley recipe boasts of a synergistic blend that promises to restore your senior Pitbulls vitality in just a month. Its also packed with antioxidants to improve your pets immunity as it ages.
Aside from that, Hills Science Dog Food has 15.5% protein, 10.5% fat, and 4% fiber. Its also rich in Omega fatty acids and Vitamin E to boost your Pitbulls coat.
I also like that they made the kibble small, so it will be easier for senior dogs to chew and swallow. However, you should know that this food has soy and corn, which can be a make-or-break part for Pitties with food allergies.
Overall, this dog food seems pretty tasty, and my friends Pitties devour it like mad dogs. Unfortunately, it also stinks a lot, which is good for your dog, but not much for your nose.
- Made with lower protein levels
- Blended to promote healthy heart and kidneys
- It could be a great choice for picky eaters.
- Easy to chew for senior dogs
- It has a very strong odor.
- It could make your dog gassy.
Don’t Miss: Can Puppies Eat Adult Dog Food
Watch Out For Food Gobbling
The gusto with which pit bulls feed can cause them to swallow significant quantities of air with their food.
In a best-case scenario, your dog will release this gas , but in a worst-case scenario, your dog could develop bloat a potentially deadly problem, in which air becomes trapped in your pets stomach.
To avoid these problems, try to offer your pit small meals or opt for a food-dispensing feeding toy that makes your dog work for her kibble! You can also find slow-feeder dog bowls that should slow down your dogs food scarfing.
Additionally, encourage your pup to lie down and relax for 15 to 20 minutes after eating, and discourage her from running around or playing immediately after eating.
Taste Of The Wild Dry Dog Food
View On AmazonWhen it comes to a Pitbulls, you want your dog to have access to protein. These large dogs have a higher protein requirement due to their body structure.
This dog food is mainly grain-free, and the main ingredients include bison, lamb meal, and chicken meal.
The first three ingredients for this dog food are meat and meat concentrate. These are all good protein sources. Based on this assessment, about 28 percent of this dog food is made from protein.
- Free from allergenic grains and meat
- No artificial substances added
Read Also: What Is The Best Wet Dog Food On The Market
Dr Tims Athletic Blend Glacier Formula Dry Food
When an average dog food wont due, this Dr. Tims Athletic Blend Glacier Formula Dry Food might provide the high protein and fat content your active Pitbull needs. This recipe features chicken meal as the main ingredient and a concentrated source of animal protein. It also contains ocean herring meal, chicken liver meal, catfish meal, and salmon meal as supplemental sources of protein. This recipe delivers an optimal balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids for healthy skin and coat, plus DHA for brain function and healthy immunity. It is balanced with vitamins and chelated mineral supplements, plus plenty of fiber for healthy digestion. Overall, it provides 32% protein and 22% fat with 480 calories per cup, making it a good option for highly active and working Pitbulls.
- Pros: Several sources of premium animal protein, digestible whole grains, blend of omega fatty acids, chelated minerals, fiber for healthy digestion, contains 32% protein and 22% fat
- Cons: Some dogs may be sensitive to grains
A Quick Comparison Of Good Dog Food For Pitbulls In 2022
This made-in-USA 100% natural dry dog feed was specially made with ingredients that contain glucosamine, probiotics, taurine, and Omega fatty acids.
These supplements provide well-rounded nutritional support for your K9 as well as ensure healthy skin.
It is developed without any artificial additives, fillers, or genetically modified organisms.
You need never worry about your Bulldog developing any incidents of illness as the feed has been ratified by AAFCO.
- High protein content blended with grains. As such, your Pitbull runs a lesser risk of developing heart diseases.
- It contains no fillers and as such you do not have to worry about your Pitbull developing health-complications like Cancer.
The Taste of the Wild Dog Food contains roasted meat which further improves on the flavor.
Likewise, the diet comes infused with antioxidant supplements that see to your dog developing a nicer coat and minimizing the chances of him developing skin conditions.
To make sure your dog starts getting the right nutrition from its early days, it is vital to consider a feed such as Taste of the Wild High Prairie Dog Food.
You hardly find similar nutritionally adequate feed priced so affordably.
- Rich in protein and contains no meat by-products.
- Zero artificial additives or preservatives.
- Its free of grains and might be unsuitable for your K9. We recommend you consult with your vet before adding the feed to your Pitbulls diet plan.
Read Also: What Is The Best Dog Food For Picky Eaters
Sport Formula Dry Dog Foodby Purina Pro Plan
This best dog food for Pitbulls to gain weight is Purina Pro Plan, the food of choice for breeders and more than 50% of the top 100 show dogs. Its superior formula is AAFCO approved as a feeding regime that provides complete balanced nutrition for every stage of life. Pro Plan Sport is designed for performance and endurance. Your Bully will develop strength by containing 30% protein and 20% fat to optimize metabolism and lean muscle development.
Your pup’s endurance will improve due to concentrated nutrition that will maximize his oxygen metabolism. Amino acids will nourish his muscles before, during, and after exercise, aiding recovery. To complete the package, glucosamine and omega-3 fatty acids aid joint health and mobility. Fans of this best dog food for Pitbulls to gain weight say that they have seen a marked increase in their Bully’s energy levels and endurance at work and play.
What Customers Are Saying
Critics of Purina Pro Plan Sport Dry Dog Food are mainly concerned with the high amount of grain, gluten, and by-products in premium-priced dog food. Some owners have found that their dogs don’t like the taste of this strong-smelling food.
Dogswell Happy Hips Grain
A good wet option for Pit Bulls, this recipe has chicken, egg, and salmon as its primary proteins. Made with fruits and veggiesbut without corn, grains, wheat, or soythis formula also contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help ensure the health of your Pittys hips and joints.
Dogswell Happy Hips Grain-Free Lamb and Sweet Potato Recipe
Not only does this wet dog food recipe contain several different types of protein, it also boasts glucosamine and chondroitin to aid in your pets hip and joint health.
Also Check: Hill Science Dog Food Coupons
Talk To Your Vet Before Choosing New Food For Your Dog
Weve selected some great dog food options for your Pit Bull. But before introducing any new foods into your dogs diet, we suggest consulting with your veterinarian. They can help you understand any health issues your Pit Bull may be experiencing and recommend a dog food that best supports their specific health needs.
Gorilla Max 31/25 Ultra Performance Dog Food
An even more calorie dense food is Gorilla Max Ultra Performance Dog Food.
This food is made for dogs that are on the go all day long.
It is formulated to build muscle mass while feeding smaller amounts than any other dog food, a great way to extend your dollar as well as your dogs food.
You May Like: Is Pedigree Dog Food Good For Pitbulls
Best For Pit Bull Puppies: Orijen Puppy Large
ORIJEN Puppy Large formula was the one that Pittie puppy parents reported was the most convenient for their yappers to chew on. On our part, we were more than impressed with its ingredient list.
The primary ingredients in this blend are loaded with goodies:
- Chicken and turkey meat are animal-based proteins that are supremely digestible for canines
- Cage-free eggs are easy to digest and protein-, fat-, and iron-rich.
- Chicken and turkey livers and hearts are packed with nutrients essential for puppers cognitive and cardiovascular health. Organ meats like chicken and turkey liver are excellent sources of protein, fat, vitamins, and minerals.
- Flounder, herring, mackerel, and sardine are Omega fatty acid-abundant kinds of fish
- Various lentils, peas, and beans provide the legume-derived carbs, which give tons of energy to pittie pupperinos
- Chicken necks and cartilage are essential for the proper development of the little doggies skeletal systems
- Dehydrated chicken, turkey, and mackerel are naturally rich in all amino acids required by dogs
As mentioned, this dog food recipe contains dehydrated chicken, turkey, and mackerel. Its important to note that dehydrated meat is a meat concentrate and provides more than four times as much protein as fresh poultry and fish. During processing, its not exposed to high temperatures, preserving more of the meats natural nutrients.
Pit Bull Puppies Vs Adults: How To Feed Them
Pit bull puppies should be fed three times a day, but adults can be fed twice daily once in the morning and once at night. Additionally, because puppies have unique dietary needs that differ from those of adults, you should select a suitable puppy food for young dogs.
You can switch your puppy to adult food once he is about 80% 90% of his final size. Do so gradually, by mixing in an increasing amount of the adult food with the puppy food.
Don’t Miss: Is Wild Earth Dog Food Grain Free
Best For Allergies: Acana Singles + Wholesome Grains Limited Ingredient Diet Lamb & Pumpkin Recipe Dry Dog Food
It’s common for pit bulls to be susceptible to skin disease, including allergies.”If you suspect your pit bull may be allergic to any ingredient, it’s important to undergo allergy testing to pinpoint the culprit and ensure it is removed from their diet,” says Dr. Richardson.
An elimination diet can be a helpful tool to identify a food allergy. However, this must be performed with veterinary guidance and requires a prescription diet or balanced home-cooked diet to accurately rule in or rule out a food allergy. Commercial single-ingredient diets can help with less severe food sensitivities. However, if the diet is produced in the same facility or with the same equipment as other pet foods, they cannot be considered completely free of allergens. A commercial single protein diet may be a good place to start if your dog’s symptoms are not serious and you are not sure that is the culprit.
This diet’s protein comes from a single source, lamb, and it contains no legumes, potatoes, or gluten. In their place, you’ll find wholesome grains, including oats and whole sorghum, and butternut squash and pumpkin, all of which are high in fiber, nutritious, and support gut health. Plus, it’s made with no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
After you complete a questionnaire about your pooch and sign up for a subscription, the meals are delivered to you frozen in individually sized bags.