Can I Mix Different Brands Of Wet And Dry Dog Food
Mixing different brands of wet and dry dog food can help combine the nutrients and benefits of both foods, but its not without its downsides. Talk to your vet on whether to feed your dog either dry or wet food, or mixture of both.
A major problem with mixing different brands of dog food is the possibility of nutritional inadequacy. Each dog brand formulates its products to stick to a specific nutritional profile.
Hence, when there is a mixture between two brands, you may have an excess of some nutrients and deficiencies of others. However, in the best-case scenario, you can still get the best of both dog food.
Remember, adjusting to the mixture is gradual for your dog, and any abrupt food change can lead to stomach upset. You have to make sure that the ingredients in the dry food is compatible with those in the wet food and that the ratio of dry food to wet food is appropriate.
Manage Your Pets Healthwellness Needs
Benefit from tailored pet care reminders and recommendations, get rewards for every purchase, and receive professional assistance to help you navigate the challenges of pet motherhood with ease. Now is the time to join When you use your Petco Pay credit card on the same day that you establish an account, you will receive a 20 percent discount on your first purchase4. Read on to find out more With Petco Insurance, youll be prepared for anything with flexible and inexpensive insurance policies.
- Take care of all of your pets requirements in one convenient location.
- Our stylists provide individualized attention to your pet in order to maintain its wellness.
- Read on to find out more Compassionate veterinary care combined with a broad selection of affordable, individualized solutions is our commitment to you and your pet.
- Now is the time to shop.
At The End Of 2019 During Our Yearly Vet Check We Received The Devastating News That Our 11 Year Old Dog’s Blood Work Showed That He Was In Stage 4 Kidney Failure
Honestly, I was a basket case, how on earth did we miss this? He seemed like he was just dealing with some symptoms of getting older – frequent urination, sometimes excessive water drinking. It definitely didn’t feel like life-threatening symptoms. As much as the diagnosis was a shock, the price tag of the prescription diet he would need to eat for the remainder of his life was pretty horrifying too!
Read Also: What Foods Do Dogs Like
If You Would Like To Find The Very Best Pet Food Then You Want To Be Sure You Follow The Rules For Purchasing The Pet
Including buying the food through your veterinarian.By using a vet, youll be able to read the nutritional information thats on the tag of this food that you buy. In this manner, you will be aware of what sort of diet that your dog should be eating and youll be able to make much better choices.
If youre confused about which kind of dog food to buy, this guide can help you out. There are many distinct forms of wet and dry dog foods available, and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. The real differentiation, however, is primarily what they are against each other especially, which one is fitter for your furry friend? The canned pet food is generally dry along with the canned pet food thats usually sold in pet shops is usually tender, also, but its your choice what sort of food that youre going to feed your pet.
This depends on your dogs requirements. And, if youre feeding him homemade dry food, then you might wish to look at going with canned dog food. In reality, you should think about producing your own pet food, so that youre able to control the components and the way that your pet gets fed.
So, which kind of dry versus wet dog food is healthy for the dog? Well, you will notice a significant difference when you look at the nutritional data for the various brands.
Although wet and dry dog foods come in different flavors, there are a few basic guidelines you must follow when deciding on the foods that your dog will eat. These include:
Puppy Growth Guide: Mental Changes
Mental changes signal the beginning of adulthood as well, and these new developments are just as vital to a dogs happiness and wellbeing. Here are some of the mental changes your pup will go through as he goes through his journey to adulthood:
- The destructive behaviors that come with puppyhood and adolescence should wear off. Now, your dog knows that he cant go barking mad on your new couch cushions because he is mature enough to realize what the consequences will be.
- Your pup will bounce off of the walls less. As dogs age, they become a little less energetic. This is especially true if yours has been neutered. These dogs tend to settle down faster than others.
- Your dog is now able to learn commands more quickly and do more complicated stunts and tricks than a puppy would.
Read Also: Is Cat Food Good For Dogs
What If The Dog Loves The New Food And Therefore Eats It Too Fast
Dr. Slome: Id recommend putting the food into a Kong toy or puzzle-type dish that makes it harder to binge. You could also ration the portions to slow them down.
The Ollie blog is devoted to helping pet parents lead healthier lives with their pups. If you want to learn more about our fresh, human-grade food, check out MyOllie.com.
Transitioning To Homemade Dog Food
Most dogs dont have a problem making the switch to homemade food. If yours is prone to digestive issues, start slowly by mixing a little bit of the homemade food with the commercial food.
Over the course of a week or two, gradually increase the amount of homemade food while decreasing the commercial food.
If your dog vomits or has diarrhea, try introducing only a couple of new ingredients at a time until their systems are well adjusted to the fresh diet.
For dogs with health issues, please consult with a veterinarian if you arent sure what kind of supplements are needed. Use your best judgment, the way you would when feeding yourself or your family.
Read Also: What Dog Food To Feed My Puppy
Oops Too Late I Already Made The Switch
If you are reading this because you switched dog foods and now your dog has diarrhea, heres what to do.
If the dog seems fine and doesnt need the vet , then withhold food for 1224 hours. This allows the gut to rest and regroup. During this time, make sure your pet has access to plenty of fresh drinking water.
When you feed them again, offer a bland diet that is easy to digest. Suggestions include:
- Protein: White meats such as chicken breast, turkey thigh, cod or other white fish, or cottage cheese
- Carbohydrate: Boiled white rice, pasta or potato
Offer 4 small portions spread over the day, rather than 12 big meals. Feed this until the dog produces stool that you can pick up. Once this occurs, you can go back to once or twice daily feeding and reintroduce the new food but gradually, as outlined above.
Doggy probiotics are also helpful. These are dietary supplements that contain the correct type of bacteria to assist a dogs digestion. My personal preference is for FortiFlora, which has saved the day many times after Pogss dietary indiscretions.
However, dont use human probiotics the bacteria are different. Plus, many human probiotics come in a dairy drink, and the lactose in these can be a cause of dodgy tummies in dogs.
Help My Dog Doesnt Like The New Food
There are many reasons you might decide to switch your dogs food.
Sometimes a change of life stage requires a change of food. Or you may wish to switch from a dry food to a fresh dog food. Or perhaps the dog has a medical condition requiring a special prescription food.
If your dog turns up their nose at the new ration, the following suggestions may help.
- Take it slow: A fussy eater may object not only to a new taste, but also to a new texture or smell. Transition them very slowly so they become accustomed to the different sensory experience of the new food.
- Warm the food up: This can work for wet or canned foods. Warming it gently can make it more appealing and release some of the tempting food smells to stimulate your dogs appetite. For dry food, you may wish to add a little gravy or the water from some boiled fish.
- Give a fresh portion each meal: If the dog refuses the food, reduce the portion size, but offer fresh each meal. Also, pick the food bowl up between meals. This helps them realize that if they dont eat the food, it disappears until the next mealtime.
- Sprinkle a probiotic over the food: Again, FortiFlora is tasty stuff for dogs and will tempt some fussy eaters to tuck in.
- Dont make a fuss: Dont stand and watch, biting your nails, waiting for your pup to eat. Instead, leave the room. To do so removes the potential for your concern to accidentally reward the dog for not eating.
Also Check: What Can I Feed My Puppy Instead Of Dog Food
What Is The Best Dog Food For Puppies
The Best Puppy Foods June 2021
- Wellness Complete Health Puppy Food.
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection Puppy.
- Purina Pro Plan Puppy Food.
- Nutro Wholesome Essentials Puppy Food.
- Victor Purpose Nutra Pro Dog and Puppy.
- Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy.
- Hills Science Diet Puppy Food.
- Merrick Grain-Free Puppy Plate.
Why Change Dog Food Cold Turkey
If youre able to, its best to transition your dogs food gradually. Youll usually do this by mixing in the new food with the old and then gradually phasing out the old food
But that being said, there are some times when dog parents need to change out their pups food without mixing
For example, one reason for a cold turkey switch may be that the current diet your dog is on is no longer working. This might be because your dog is having a reaction to his or her current food
Or because your dog is developing a new health condition that requires a quick change away from his current diet
Another reason why a dogs food may have to be changed cold turkey is that the food is no longer easily available or even available to you at all, in which case you must go with something else
In either situation, there is no room for a gradual switch which, again, is a better option But the good news is that there are some things you can do to make a cold turkey switch a little easier.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Bil Jac Dog Food
How To Switch Dog Foods: A Helpful Guide
- May 19, 2018
- Fact Checked
As a pet owner, changing the food your dog eats each day can be a daunting task. Switching food can sometimes lead to an upset stomach and digestion problems if not executed correctly, which can be traumatic for your dog and upsetting to you as a pet parent. Knowing how to switch dog foods is not inherent knowledge that dog owners get when they find their dog, but it is a process that you need to be familiar with before you attempt to switch your dogs food. If you have been wondering how to change dog foods but are unsure of where to start, this article will help guide you to change your dogs food without the unwanted side effects.
What Would Cause A Dog To Have Bloody Diarrhea
dangerous conditions that can cause bally fecal matter or bloody diarrhea include viral and bacterial infections, parvovirus, hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, and possibly cancer. Melena is a dark, muggy, loiter stool, about jelly-like. This rake has been digested or swallowed, indicating a problem in the amphetamine digestive tract.
Reading: Can switching dog food cause bloody diarrhea?
Don’t Miss: What Foods Should You Not Feed Your Dog
Tools Needed For Cooking Dog Food At Home
- Food Processor: Before I start cooking a batch of homemade dog food, I blend up all the vegetables in my food processor. This Cuisinart food processor is my go-to. Its a bit smaller than traditional food processors but works just as well as a larger model. Blending up the veggies nice and fine will speed up the cooking process.
- Dutch Oven: I make the entire batch in my large Le Creuset round Dutch oven. I love using a Dutch oven because I can ground the meat first, and then finish off the batch right in the same pot. The process is very similar to making chili except for dogs. Ya knowDog Chili. .
- Measuring Cups: Rascal has his own set of measuring cups now because it makes measuring out food ingredients and the finished batch WAY easier.
- Meal Prep Containers: This is basically meal prepping for your dog, so you will need some great Tupperware.
How To Switch Food
Switching your pets food doesnt have to be a struggle!
Owners can find themselves in the position of having to switch dog foods for any number of reasons. Maybe your dog has been diagnosed with a dietary responsive disease. Perhaps its time to switch from puppy to adult food or from adult to mature food. Or maybe youve simply decided that your dogs current diet isnt the best choice for him anymore.
Whatever the reason for the change, owners commonly ask, What is the best way to switch dog foods? The pat answer that youll often hear is gradually, but this can mean different things to different people and it may not always be the ideal way to go. So, heres my take on the best way to change your dogs diet under a couple of different scenarios.
Why does it matter what method I use to change my dogs diet? Well, sometimes it doesnt. If you have a dog with an iron stomach, you can probably get away with any method you want. After all, in comparison to some of the things these dogs eat with no ill-effects, moving from Brand A to Brand B, or a switch from a beef-based to a chicken-based diet is relatively benign.
But for the rest of you out there who are either uncertain of the nature of your dogs gastrointestinal tract or, like me, know you have a dog thats just looking for an excuse to develop diarrhea , gradually is usually the way to go. The directions I hand out to my clients under the circumstances I just outlined read as such:
Magley Animal Hospital
Also Check: Does Ace Hardware Sell Dog Food
Switching Dog Food: Tips And Recommendations
- There are a variety of reasons to switch dog food.
- Switching should happen gradually to prevent intestinal upset.
- Side effects of switching food to fast include diarrhea and vomiting.
- Planning and preparation can help make the transition to a new food easier.
Have you ever wondered how dogs can eat the same food every day? It turns out, dogs dont really need variety in their food. Often picky dogs are the ones holding out for human food.
For all the canines readily eating their meals, as long as the food packaging has a label from the Association of American Feed Control Officials , the food is considered complete and balanced. If the food you feed daily is complete and balanced, you are giving your dog everything they need to live.
There are a few good reasons to consider switching dog food. If you need to make a diet change , following a diet transition timeline will help your dog adapt to the new ingredients, and may help prevent some unwanted consequences.
This article will help you understand reasons to switch dog food, how to switch diets, and what to do if you accidentally switch too fast. If you do need to make a change, you will be ready.
Should You Rotate Dog Food To Give Your Dog More Variety
Most dogs are happy eating the same food regularly. If you wish to add some canned food or a little homemade stew to their food to make it tastier, thats fine, but dogs usually dont like a lot of change. Changes in your dogs food often lead to an upset gastrointestinal tract with diarrhea or vomiting. If you change foods often you can keep your dogs GI tract upset on an ongoing basis which will lead to other health problems. Of course, it is possible that if you change your dogs food continually he may get used to the changes and adapt to them, but only after a lot of upset stomachs. Some dogs will continue to have gastrointestinal problems when you change foods.
Read Also: What Is Considered Large Breed For Dog Food
What Are The Changing Dog Food Too Quickly Symptoms And How To Avoid Them
As you can see, the symptoms of changing your dogs diet too fast can range from annoying to quite unfortunate. Vomiting, diarrhea, gas, and an overall stomach upset are the initial symptoms you can expect to see. If your dog has some underlying conditions, additional health problems are possible which is why its wise to always contact your vet as soon as you notice anything weird.
Such symptoms arent that common with healthy dogs, however, so as long as youve chosen a good new food, everything should be fine. Going slow is usually recommended but even if you try switching cold turkey your dog will still likely be ok. Just fast your pooch first, starts with smaller portions, add some probiotics, monitor your dog for any symptoms, and everything should be ok.