Purina Pro Plan Dog Food Recalls: What You Need To Know
Purina Pro Plan is not a recall-free brand. And this is completely expected considering the wide range of products and the fact that the brand has been around for so many years.
Purina has had several recalls over the years, but when it comes to Purina Pro Plan dog food specifically, there is only one recall. Namely, on March 10th, 2016, the brand recalled Pro Plan Savory Meals due to inadequate levels of vitamins and minerals.
We should note that in comparison with usual recalls due to dangerous chemicals and foreign contamination, the reason for the Purina Pro Plan Recall was less concerning.
On July 14th, 2021, another recall covered the Purina Pro Plan Cat Food or, more specifically, the Complete Essentials Tuna Entrée In Sauce.
Read Also: Which Dog Food Is Best For German Shepherd
Recall History Of Purina Pro Plan Vs Purina One
Of the two, Pro Plan is the only one with a recent recall incident, and that was relatively minor.
In March of 2016, Purina recalled Pro Plan wet foods due to concerns that the food didnt live up to the nutritional value on the label. The food wasnt dangerous, and no dogs were hurt.
As best we can tell, there havent been any recalls of Purina ONE for at least the past ten years.
Dont Miss: Is Dog Food Covered By Ebt
Worst Pet Products Recalls Class Action Lawsuits Overview:
- Who: A number of popular pet product and food companies have issued recalls and faced class action lawsuits recently, including Bayer, Aldi and Blue Buffalo, among others.
- Why: Recalls and class action lawsuits stem from a variety of concerns, primarily regarding health and safety.
- Where: Recalls and class action lawsuits have affected pet product companies and pet owners nationwide.
If there is one thing consumers are protective of, its their pets. With April being National Canine Fitness Month, the health of our four-legged furry friends is once again coming first.
Consumers are certainly not afraid to hold pet companies accountable, either, with class action lawsuits recently filed over allegations of dangerous collars and products and falsely advertised dog food and shampoo ingredients. A number of recalls have also been initiated recently over contaminated dog food.
With that in mind, Top Class Actions is looking at the pet products, which, according to recent class action lawsuits and recalls, make them the worst on the market.
Don’t Miss: Best Dog Food For Puppy Rottweiler
Family Dollar Pet Food In Alabama Arkansas Louisiana Missouri Mississippi And Tennessee
When it was recalled: February 18, 2022
Why it was recalled: Rats were reported at a Family Dollar distribution center in West Memphis, Arkansas. This particular distribution center stores and ships products to 404 different Family Dollar stores, so pet food that was sent to any of those stores since January 1, 2022, has been recalled.
Since these products were exposed to rats, they could be contaminated with salmonella bacteria, which means your pet can get really sick if he eats that food.
Who Makes Purina One Dog Food
As a farm animal feed company, Ralston Purina opened its doors in the late 1800s, but it didnt start producing pet food until the 1920s. And in the 1980s, the company saw a major overhaul after selling the animal feed division, Ralston Mills, and creating several product lines that remain best-sellers after three decades. Purina Pro Plan, Veterinary Diets, and Purina One are among the most successful lineups on sale to this day.
While Purina remained an independent business for over a century, in 2001, it joined the Nestle family. And Nestle Purina is now one of the largest global pet food manufacturers with dozens of manufacturing and research facilities. Still, dog food sold in the US is manufactured by US-based facilities, even if some ingredients are imported. Considering a robust quality management system, theres no need to worry about those.
Don’t Miss: What Is The Best Dog Food
Many Formulas Use Questionable Ingredients
Unless the recipe specifically claims otherwise, theres a good chance it contains cheap fillers or animal by-products, neither of which youre likely to want to feed your dog.
While this shouldnt automatically disqualify a food, especially if it helps ameliorate another of your dogs issues, its not something we like to see.
- Many formulas use questionable ingredients
Purina One Dog Food Recalls
According to the FDA Archive, since the brands introduction in the late 1980s, there hasnt been a single Purina One dog food recall in the US. Thats especially impressive considering the sheer production volume. It seems like the company has perfected the quality management system to avoid any issues with subpar ingredients and contamination. Lets hope Purina continues in the same vein for years to come.
Don’t Miss: Does Tractor Supply Sell Royal Canin Dog Food
Advanced Nutrition For A Healthy Head Start
The first 12-24 months of a puppys life is an important period of growth, which is why they need nutrition specifically formulated to nourish their developing bodies and minds.
Each Pro Plan dry puppy formula contains DHA for healthy brain and vision development, antioxidants for immune system support, and contains guaranteed live probiotics.
Because every puppy is different, Pro Plan offers a variety of high-quality puppy foods to meet specific nutritional needs and taste preferences.
So whether youre looking for a large breed puppy food, a dog food for sensitive systems, or the best puppy food for your small breed dog, Purina Pro Plan offers formulas to help puppies like yours thrive.
What Is A Pet Food Recall
When a pet food is recalled, its taken off the market by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration . A pet food can be recalled if:
- It violates FDA regulations
- It can cause death
But just because something gets recalled doesnt necessarily mean that product is recalled forever.
According to the FDA, a recall is terminated when all reasonable efforts have been made to remove or correct the violative product and proper disposition has been made according to the degree of hazard.
So, more pet foods than the ones listed below have been recalled in the past five years, but those recalls have since been terminated. Were only including recalls that are still active, which means there can still be risks associated with using that product.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Earthborn Holistic Dog Food
Primal Pet Foods Primal Patties For Dogs
When it was recalled: July 6, 2022
Why it was recalled: Primal Pet Foods recalled 6-pound packages of the beef formula of their raw frozen Primal Patties For Dogs due to possible listeria contamination. This was issued after routine FDA sampling found listeria in food from one specific lot.
The affected products were from lot #W10068709 and have a best by date of 05/22/23. According to the company, 66 cases of food from this lot had been distributed to Maryland, Georgia, Texas and British Columbia.
Luckily, at the time of the recall, no complaints or illnesses had been reported.
How Often Should I Feed My Large Breed Puppy
Once youve determined how much to feed your puppy per day
Simply divide that daily feeding amount into 3 or 4 smaller servings.
Then feed those smaller portions to your puppy at regular intervals throughout the day.
To make it easy
Try feeding your puppy whenever YOU eat breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Also Check: Can Dogs Eat Baby Food
Alpo Prime Cuts Savory Beef Flavor Dry Dog Food
- The first 5 ingredients are Ground Yellow Corn, Meat And Bone Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Fat, Corn Gluten Meal
- Contains 23 essential vitamins and minerals
- Features Calcium for bone health
- Formulated for adult dogs
- Made in the USA
Well, if youre looking for premium dog food with high-quality ingredients, you wont like Purina ALPO Prime Cuts. The first ingredient is not real meat, but Yellow Corn.
Moreover, there is virtually no real meat in this recipe. The main protein sources are Meat And Bone Meal, Soybean Meal, and Corn Gluten Meal.
I hope I dont have to say how unhealthy this is for dogs. Animal sources are not named, so their quality is uncontrollable. And plant protein sources are biologically low in value for dogs.
The protein content of the product is 18%, which meets the requirements of AAFCO however, I do not really recommend this product due to the quality of the proteins.
In addition, artificial colors can be found among the ingredients. Although these are allowed, I still believe that these compounds are disadvantageous in the diet of dogs.
The overall picture is somewhat improved by the fact that the recipe contains added vitamins and minerals. This balances the nutrients somewhat.
Finding the best diet for your dog is not easy. You have to consider several aspects, e.g., activity, breed, age, health condition, etc. If you want to make the best decision possible, check out my comprehensive guide on how to choose the best dog food.
Purina One Smartblend Small Bites Beef & Rice Formula Adult Premium Dog Food
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY
Treat your tiny furball to the most nutritious and digestible formula rich in protein and light on fillers. Crunchy and tender at the same time, enhanced with vitamins, minerals, and more!
This formula has everything your energizer furball needs. High protein content comes from high-quality sources, like beef and chicken by-product meal, that double as natural sources of glucosamine for flexible joints. Healthy grains provide starches, while veggies are there for fiber. Throw in a whole slew of minerals and vitamins, and you get a perfectly balanced daily diet to keep your pup strong and energetic for years to come.
Unlike other varieties of Purina One dog food, Small Bites come in tiny pieces perfect for toy and small breeds while retaining the crunchy and tender textures of traditional kibble and meaty morsels. Still, we would love for Purina to come up with smaller bag sizes for this recipe. The smallest bag is 16.5 pounds, and thats way too much for taste-testing for a Toy Poodle or a Dachshund.
- Crude fat: 16% min
- Crude fiber: 3% max
- First 5 ingredients: Beef , rice flour, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal
- Breed size: Toy, extra-small, and small breeds
- Life Stage: Adult
- Nutrient-dense formula with beef and chicken protein
- Perfect kibble size for small breeds
- Tender pieces mixed in with the crunchy kibble
- Glucosamine, Omega-6, vitamins, minerals, and more
WHAT WE DIDNT LIKE:
Don’t Miss: When Can Puppies Start Eating Dog Food
Why Are Large Breeds More Prone To Hip Dysplasia
Hip disease in large breeds is caused by at least one of 3 proven factors:
So, since theres nothing you can do to change your puppys genetics
Be sure to avoid feeding too many calories or too much calcium factors that can significantly increase your puppys risk of hip dysplasia.
Purina One Smartblend Chicken & Rice Formula Natural Adult Dog Food
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY
This chicken-first formula is a true one-size-fits-all solution with plenty of protein for small pups and glucosamine for large breeds. An ideal choice for multi-canine homes!
Is it any wonder the chicken and rice combo is the best-seller of the Purina One Smartblend dog food line? The chicken-first formula is heavy on quality animal protein sources and light on fat, with plenty of vitamins and minerals to keep your pooch gorgeous and energetic. And the naturally-occurring glucosamine from chicken and chicken by-product meal is a lifesaver for large breeds joints.
The kibble size is suitable for Poodles and German Shepherds alike, but it turned out to be inconsistent from one batch to the next. We discovered the same issue with the kibble formula. Our dogs gobbled one bag down while ignoring the other. It could be down to a bad batch or wrong storage conditions, but it could also result from unpredictable changes dog food manufacturers are so fond of. Still, this is a great starting point if youve never bought Purina kibble.
- Crude fat: 16% min
- Crude fiber: 3% max
- First 5 ingredients: Chicken , rice flour, corn gluten meal, whole grain corn, chicken by-product meal
- Weight: 8, 16.5, 31.1, 40-lb bags
WHAT WE LOVED:
WHAT WE DIDNT LIKE:
- Unpredictable formula changes
WHY YOU SHOULD BUY
WHAT WE DIDNT LIKE:
Don’t Miss: Is Canned Food Good For Dogs
Purina One Dog Food Reviewed: Pros Cons And Ingredient Analysis
- Best Overall Purina ONE Dog Food:Purina ONE Natural Dry Dog FoodA high-protein food formula derived from all-natural ingredients that is delicious and budget-friendly.
- Best Purina ONE Dog Food for Sensitive Stomachs:Purina ONE Natural Sensitive Stomach Dry Dog FoodCarefully crafted recipe with easily digestible ingredients to suit the needs of dogs with sensitive stomachs.
- Best Purina ONE Dog Food for Seniors:Purina ONE High Protein Senior Dry Dog FoodSpecially blended for the health requirements of senior dogs, this formula supports a healthy heart and cognition.
- Best Purina ONE Dog Food for Digestive Health:Purina ONE Dog Digestive Support Natural Dry Dog FoodFormulated with healthy probiotics, this dry food is easily digestible and gentle on the dogs stomach.
- Best Wet Purina ONE Dog Food:Purina ONE Natural Gravy Wet Dog FoodA high-protein formula in a rich gravy that keeps your dog hydrated and nourished while being enticing even for picky eaters.
- Best Grain-Free Wet Purina ONE Dog Food:Purina ONE Grain-Free Natural Pate Wet Dog FoodThe goodness of meat in gravy without any grains ensures there is no irritation in the dogs stomach.
- Made with high-quality protein sources, including real lamb as the number 1 ingredient
- Omega-6 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals help support healthy skin and coat
- Dual-defense antioxidant blend supports a strong immune system. Natural sources of glucosamine to help maintain healthy joints
Texas Tripe Raw Pet Food
When it was recalled: August 14, 2019
Why it was recalled:Texas Tripe recalled 23 different raw pet food products across 35 different lots after samples tested by the Office of the Texas State Chemist found salmonella and listeria in over half of those samples. The recalled products are:
- Texas Tripe Ground Turkey Necks
- Texas Trip Chicken Tripe Complete
- Texas Tripe Ground Chicken With Bone
- Texas Tripe Shepherd’s Blend
Don’t Miss: How To Moisten Dog Food
Our Analysis Of The Ingredients
After we learned everything there is to learn about the dog food ingredients to avoid, we studied Purinas labels and their website. We were shocked to find that the company touted their use of many of the worst dog food ingredients, such as unnecessary food dyes and artificial preservatives that we knew were harmful to our doggies! The ingredients used in Purina dog food were instrumental for our final assessment.
Image: Purinas colored kibble
Purina Dog Food Recall History
The following list includes all dog food recalls since 2007. If there are no recalls listed in this section, we have not yet reported any events.
- 9th March 2016 10 ounce tubs of Beneful wet dog food with product code starting #5363 to #6054. 10 ounce tubs of Purina Pro Plan Savory Meals wet dog food with product code starting #5363 to #6054. Reason: Inadequate vitamins and minerals.
- 30th August 2013 3.5 pound Purina One Beyond Our White Meat Chicken & Whole Barley Recipe Adult Dry Dog Food with production code #31071083 were voluntarily recalled. Reason: Possible Salmonella contamination.
- St. Louis, Missouri, 30th March 2007 Voluntary withdrawal of 13.2 ounce and 22-ounce ALPO Prime Cuts and 6, 8, 12, and 24 can ALPO Prime Cuts Variety Packs. Recalled product code starting #7037 to #7053 and plant code being #1159. Reason: Possible Melanine contamination.
- St. Louis, Missouri, 16th March 2007 Voluntary withdrawal of 5.3 ounce Mighty Dog brand pouch products produced by Menu Foods, Inc. between the 3rd December 2006 and 14th March 2007. Recalled product code is #6337 to #7073 with plant code being #1798. Reason: Possible Melamine contamination.
You can view a complete list of all dog food recalls sorted by date.
You May Like: Fromm Gold Dog Food Reviews
About Purina Pro Plan
Not good for our chocolate lab puppy
This was recommended by the vet as a food to switch to as our puppys current food was not available except to purchase from breeders which was a considerable distance from our home. This was a HORRIBLE choice for our 3 month old pure bred chocolate lab. Started with 25% new food/75% current food and he was miserable. Bloating, gas, significantly increased thirst, regressed to having multiple accidents in the house, couldnt rest comfortably. Removed this from his diet and drove many hours to get a stock of his former food. Now hes back to his sweet lovable self! Never again will I purchase this brand even if suggested by a vet.
A Sneak Peek At The Winner: Purina Pro Plan
Purina Pro Plan earned the W in this competition, as we feel they use higher-quality ingredients than their sister brand. These foods are very similar in terms of their nutritional content, and you wont go too far wrong with either one.
The winner of our comparison:
This competition isnt as clear-cut as you may think, however, and Purina ONE certainly had the edge in a few key categories. So why didnt it earn higher marks? More on that below.
Dont Miss: Is Raw Food Better For Dogs
Read Also: Is Diamond Natural Dog Food Grain Free