Hills Science Diet Dry Dog Food
This particular dog food from Hills Science Diet is specially formulated for small breeds to help them digest the food easily. And this makes it one of the best dog food for Yorkies.
Manufactured in two different flavors, specifically chicken and lamb with rice, this top-rated dog food contains omega-6 fatty acid for a shinier coat and healthier skin and high protein content.
Also, this product contains antioxidants to protect your dog against infection. No artificial colors or flavors were added in making this product.
- Contains omega-6 fatty acid advantageous for your Yorkies fur and skin
- The antioxidant present makes your Yorkie immune against infection
Best Wet Food For Yorkie Puppies
Because of their tiny nature, finding the best-wet food for Yorkie puppies isnt always easy. Some of the brands that you might want to consider are Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Puppy, Solid Gold Mighty Mini Wet and Dry Food, Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo Small Breed Chicken & Rice Formula.
When it comes to your puppy, youll want to make sure that its receiving all of the nutrition that it needs to grow healthy and strong. Try a few different brands to see what kind of food your puppy enjoys the most.
What Foods Are Bad For Yorkies
I know it can be tricky for a new pet owner to decide what is good or bad for the Yorkies. Nevertheless, here is an outline of some foods that may bring up mild or severe health issues.
Even though tasty, chocolate is never suitable for Yorkies. The reason being chocolate has theobromine which raises your Yorkies blood pressure and heart rate.
- Grapes grapes given in plenty will cause kidney issues. Raisins are dried grapes, avoid them too.
- Onion and garlic- onions and garlic will destroy your Yorkies red blood cells.
- Avocado- avocado fruit has a fungicidal toxin that will make your Yorkies develop health issues
- Fatty food
Always ensure your Yorkies get the right amount of fats in the diet. Fatty food like fries and other fast foods will make your dog have a runny stool or even lead to obesity.
- Spoiled food
Dont let your Yorkie eat anything from the trash box as it may be rotten. Rotten food can at times contain toxic molds, which can be poisonous if consumed.
Also, check and avoid Yorkie food brands that have these contents-
- Chemical preservatives- cause allergies
- Artificial flavors- they cause allergies
- Filler ingredients
Note, these products will rarely give your dog the right amount of nutrients it needs. Move away from any brand with these ingredients as they dont have Yorkies interest in their heart rather, its how much profit they make.
You May Like: Caesars Dog Food Recall
The Best Dog Food For Yorkies 2022
Whats the best dog food for a Yorkie?
The answer to that important question should be based on the AGE and LIFE STAGE of YOUR particular dog.
Yorkie puppiesadults and seniors EACH have different nutritional requirements for the best long-term health.
And there are other nutritional differences, too.
A Yorkie puppy needs 1.29% leucine while an adult requires just 0.68% of the exact same nutrient.3
A senior Yorkie benefits from a dog food that contains more protein and fewer calories per serving.
How To Shop For Yorkie Food
Choosing a toy breed recipe is a great way to ensure that your Yorkies diet will fit his size-specific needs, but youll still need to judge the quality of the food for yourself. Take a look at the guaranteed analysis to check the protein and fat content, then scan the list of ingredients to see whats making up those nutrients.
Here are some things to look for on a dog food label:
- Real meat, poultry, or fish as the first ingredient
- Plenty of animal-based fat for energy
- Limited content of digestible carbohydrates
- Natural sources for key vitamins and minerals
- No artificial additives like colors, flavors, or preservatives
Be sure to check the feeding recommendations as well. Toy breed dog foods tend to be very calorie-dense anyway, but you want to make sure you dont have to feed your Yorkie an unreasonably large portion to meet his nutritional needs.
Read Also: What Company Owns Purina
Wholehearted Grain Free Small
This dog food, which is very much suitable for small breeds, prioritizes real meat protein as part of its ingredients.
Protein is necessary for dogs to keep their muscles strong and healthy. No artificial flavor and color is added to this dog food mix, making it safe for your pooch for ingesting.
In this package, a special-sized kibble is available for your dogs to chew. This kibble reduces tartar formation on your Yorkies teeth.
- Chicken, an all-time favorite flavor, is this products main ingredient
- Calcium and phosphorus are one of the mainly focused minerals to give your Yorkie stronger teeth and bones
- Probiotics are also mixed in the dog food for healthy digestion
- Some dogs may be allergic to chicken and may experience itchiness
- Certain ingredients may irritate your dogs stomach, in which they start to experience diarrhea and vomiting
Best Food For Yorkies With Allergies
Its not uncommon for small breed dogs like Yorkies to have allergies to particular ingredients. Fortunately, a limited ingredient diet can help to combat them.
Dick Van Patens Natural Balance Limited Ingredient Diets
Natural Balance* has a more economical choice for a limited ingredient diet. There are multiple flavors, which may help if your dog has sensitivities to less common allergens. Complete and balanced, it provides full nutrition for your dog with simple and wholesome ingredients.
Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
Another fantastic offering from the Blue Buffalo company, this limited ingredient dog food* is great for Yorkies with food sensitivities. We love that the focus is on clean, real, wholesome ingredients.
Don’t Miss: Can You Buy Dog Treats With Food Stamps
Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Dry Food
The Royal Canin Small Puppy Dry Dog Food is a high-quality, balanced diet for 9 to 22 pounds puppies. This Royal Canin recipe satisfies the high energy demands of your puppys growth phase. The main ingredients that provide carbohydrates for your puppy include rice, gluten meal, wheat, and corn.
This dish contains prebiotics, which aids in the maintenance of your dogs digestive system. The unique combination of minerals, antioxidants, and vitamins drawn from healthy sources supports your puppys general health.
It also includes protein sources that help to keep your puppys muscles healthy. Omega fatty acids from fish oil are included in this dry dog for your puppy, ensuring that your Yorkie has a beautiful glossy coat.
Choosing The Best Food For A Yorkshire Terrier
- Chemical preservatives. These can cause allergic reactions and/or intestinal distress and some are known carcinogens.
- Artificial coloring or flavoring. These additives can also cause mild to severe allergic reactions and certain dyes are also linked to behavioral issues , and some forms of cancer.
- Fillers. These are inexpensive ingredients loaded into food to plump it up but offers little to no nutritional value. Ingestion of fillers can cause nutritional deficiencies and intestinal distress and is one cause of coprophagia .
- Generic meats or oils. This can legally be roadkill and meat from diseased animals.
- Made in China. Pet foods with ingredients sourced from China are responsible for thousands of deaths.
- Natural preservatives. Dog food can be successfully preserved using a vitamin blend and/or certain herbs or plant extracts including rosemary and spearmint.
- No artificial coloring or flavoring
- Wholesome traditional meats chicken, turkey, goose, duck, rabbit, lamb, beef, or a variety of fish including whitefish and salmon)
- Fruits and vegetables
- Omega-3 fatty acids. While one source is flaxseed, the best source is fish oil. This is important for joint health.
- Small-sized kibble. To facilitate comfortable eating.
- Made in the USA or Canada. In addition, ingredients sources from New Zealand are considered very safe.
Don’t Miss: Iams Dog Food Leipsic Ohio
What Flavor To Give To Yorkies
As mentioned, Yorkies are picky eaters hence, you should be very careful which flavors to choose for you not to end up wasting your money for nothing. There are tons of dog foods that offer a variety of flavors, ranging from chicken meat, lamb meat, and even fish. With a massive selection of these tasty flavors, you wont have to ponder longer as to which one to try out to your Yorkie first.
In addition, some flavors may cause an allergic reaction to your Yorkie. If ever this occurs to your fur baby, immediately stop feeding him or her the product and switch to a different flavor to prevent complications from occurring.
Canidae All Life Stages Less Active Formula Dry Dog Food
- Caloric Content: 3,300 kcal/kg, 3.3 kcal/g, 1,500 kcal/lb., 342 kcal/cup
- Guaranteed Analysis: Crude protein 22.50% , crude fat 8.50% , crude fiber 4.5% , and moisture 10%
- Form: Dry
- First 5 ingredients: 1. Chicken Meal, 2. Brown Rice, 3. White Rice, 4. Rice Bran, 5. Peas
This food from Canidae is free from common allergens like wheat, corn, and soy and is appropriate for dogs of all life stages. It includes chicken meal, brown rice, white rice, rice bran, and peas as its first five ingredients and is made for less active and overweight dogs. A good pick for the less active Yorkie.
Also Check: Can You Buy Dog Food With Food Stamps In Texas
Why Wont My Yorkie Poo Eat
A: Yorkie Poo is a breed of dog that has a very specific diet. They need to eat food that is high in protein and low in carbohydrates, such as meat, chicken, eggs, and fish. This can be difficult for them to find on the market, so they may not be able to get their diet from what you are feeding them.
Royal Canin is a brand of dog food that is marketed to all breeds. Yorkies are small dogs, so they need a smaller amount of food than other breeds. Royal Canin has a yorkie formula for the perfect diet for your little one. Reference: royal canin yorkie dog food.
Watch This Video:
- best food for senior yorkie with no teeth
- best dog food for yorkies 2020
- is cesar dog food good for yorkies
- yorkie foods to avoid
Yorkie Diet And Nutrition
Because Yorkies are so small , they have a small stomach to match their size. This means they cannot eat large meals. You will need to feed your Yorkie several small meals per day. Yorkies can also be especially prone to hypoglycemia or low blood sugar so feeding your Yorkshire Terrier several small meals per day will help avoid this problem. This is especially true with young puppies.
Choose a food with small bites
If you are feeding your Yorkie a kibble dog food, make sure you choose a food with small, bite-size pieces of kibble. This makes it easier for your Toy dog to eat and digest the food.
Choose a calorie-dense food
Toy and small breed dogs often need dog food that is more calorie-dense than food for larger dogs. Pound for pound, small dogs use more energy and burn more calories than bigger dogs. Many dog foods designed for small and Toy dogs are packed with more calories than food for larger dogs. Look for foods that are especially formulated for Toy and small dogs so they have all the calories your Yorkie needs. These foods often have too many calories for big dogs who can become overweight if they eat them.
Read Also: How To Soften Dry Dog Food
What To Consider When Buying Dog Food For Yorkies
Like humans, dogs also have their own nutritional needs to keep their bodies healthy. Dog foods have a general aim to promote all dogs wellbeing, yet this goal is impossible to occur since each dog has a different health status their demands are different from others.
To start, choose dog food thats suitable for your Yorkies age. There are heaps of dog food products endorsed in physical stores and online, but its also essential to ponder on precise specifications needed.
The first you need to take into consideration is your dogs age. The dog foods sold in markets have different formulations they can be specific to particular age groups like puppies or adults. Another consideration would be your dogs size. Small breeds have different formulas from large ones.
To see your Yorkies growth progress, its best to seek professional help from the veterinarian and have your dog assessed to know what food requirement is vital for your fur baby.
Best Dog Food For A Yorkie Puppy
We love recommending Taste of The Wild recipes to dog owners. Overall, its a well-respected business that serves high-quality dog food. Pacific Stream Dry Puppy Food is packed with the nutrients your Yorkie puppy needs to grow and develop, like omega fatty acids for skin and coat, as well as probiotics to promote healthy digestion.
Main Ingredients: Salmon, Ocean Fish Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Potatoes
Calories: 348 kcal/cup
Recommended Reading: Dog Food With Food Stamps
Is Cesar Dog Food Bad For Your Dog
Cesar pet food is not a good food for your pet or at least I would not feed it to my dogs. They are also some of the common allergens in pet food as well. Cesar pet food is mass produced too. Mass produced foods tend to have a recall history and Cesar just had one last year for having plastic pieces in their pet food.
Buyers Guide How To Purchase The Best Food For Yorkies
Knowing what to look for when choosing a food for your Yorkie is just as important as choosing their name. It is up to us, as pet parents, to ensure we feed our fur babies only the best. Lets take a look at the thing you should keep in mind when deciding which dog food is best for your little guy or gal.
Zesty Paws Turmeric Curcumin For Dogs
Price Range: $$
What We Like About It
- Owners report this offers great natural pain relief
- Owners say dogs with joint issues often show improvement on this supplement
- Some dogs show more energy when taking the supplement
What We Don’t Like
Before we dig into how to feed your Yorkie and more, a word of reminder: Its always wise to consult with your veterinarian. Your pups doctor has firsthand knowledge about his health and nutritional needs.
Best Natural Food For Yorkies
If your budget allows for it, there are a number of premium foods that might be good for a Yorkie. Some of those that have been recommended by PuppyWire include:
- Natural Balance Original Ultra Whole Body for adults
- Canidae All Life Stages Platinum Less Active for seniors
- Merrick Grain Free Puppy Recipe for puppies
- Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley Small Breed for sensitive stomach
- Hills Science Diet Small & Toy Breed for Teacup and miniature
- Wellness Simple Natural Limited Ingredient for skin allergies
Protein is important when it comes to maintaining your Yorkies energy level. Chicken, lamb, turkey, beef and fish muscles can provide the necessary protein. Overly processed other parts may not be good for your dog.
Carbohydrates that are from soy and corn can be hard on the stomach of a Yorkie. Look for brown rice or sweet potatoes which can be milder on the digestion.
Fats, such as fish oil will help keep your dogs coat shiny. Fish oil can even be drizzled on other foods for added health benefits.
You May Like: Purina Dog Food Good
Cesar Sunrise Wet Dog Food With Smoked Bacon And Egg Souffle Breakfast
You wont find any Cesar dry dog food reviewed here as there arent any, but you can always choose a quality kibble and simply top it off with Cesar dog food for additional flavor and appeal. Dogs do seem to love the flavor, and they are likely to gulp it down in seconds when offered a chance.
Can Yorkies Eat Cesar Wet Food
However, some Yorkshire Terriers have sensitive stomachs and may not do as well on it. If your Yorkie likes Cesar, you can feed it to him or her. Sometimes it is mixed with a dry food of another brand to make the food wetter. Even though it is not a premium food, it can keep your little dog healthy.
Read Also: Can You Buy Dog Food With Foodstamps
Finding The Right Sized Kibble For Yorkies
While many manufacturers make a special type of kibble for smaller breeds, it really depends on the exact dog you have when it comes time to pick the right kind of food for him or her.
Consider how large your dogs teeth are and how much jaw strength they have. If you have a slightly beefier Yorkie that really does enjoy biting down on food, then you might want to consider something a little more substantial.
What Human Food Can I Feed My Yorkie
The best food is the special one for dogs but you may treat your Yorkshire Terrier with some healthy human snacks. They are: fresh fruits and vegetables, like watermelon lean meat, like chicken, turkey, fish or beef and very small amounts of simple or complex carbohydrates, such as rice and pasta.
Also Check: Is Caesars Dog Food Healthy